Home

TheSinner.net

Russell Brand Resigns

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Russell Brand Resigns

Postby eagle on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:58 pm

It was announced on the news today that Russell Brand has resigned from the BBC. Does anyone else think this is a massive over reaction, exacerbated by the coverage in the media?

Two people complained about the broadcast after it was aired, but this has increased to 18,000 since the coverage in the press.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous, and has been blown out of all proportion. Certainly, it was a stupid act to leave such messages on anyone's answerphone, but Brand has issued an apology which Sachs has accepted. The producers who decided to air the pre-recorded show made a bad decision, and should be brought up for it, and then that should be the end of it, right?
eagle

Re: Russell Brand Resigns

Postby ct3012 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:00 pm

It may be an over reaction, but a world with even slightly less Russell Brand in it is a far better place to live in.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby eagle on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:37 pm

I like him - he amuses me. Although he can be a bit much at times.
I prefer his stand-up stuff to his radio presenting though.
eagle

Postby orudge on Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 pm

Far too much coverage, in my opinion. OK, so he probably shouldn't have broadcast those clips, they seemed quite offensive towards Andrew Sachs, but the way the media - including the BBC particularly - went overboard in reporting it was just too much. Does the Prime Minister really need to be involved when there are more important things going on? And then today the BBC went so far as to have a "timeline" of these events on its pages!

Oh well, I can't say I'm a fan of Russell Brand, so his resignation doesn't particularly bother me anyway.
orudge
Administrator

Postby eagle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:00 am

The timeline was definitely over the top, and why do these politicians feel they have to get involved to such an extent?

Isn't there an election happening soon - perhaps that would be more worthy of coverage?
eagle

Postby Frank on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:07 am

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. I went in for a haircut and, having listened to the show only the evening before, was subjected to all the shenanigans and hikinx of it. Which is to say: My haircut was jeopardised (and not at all how I expected to get it) because I was too off-kilter and was pussy-footing around telling the barber to "Go and listen to the thing in question, get the context right and then ask themself whether disturbing a customer with their ill-informed views on it was worth sacking themselves for?!"

Disclaimer:
- I did listen to the shwo before I heard any sort of outrage over it.
- I do think it was a poor move. Jonathan Ross, who made the particularly offensive comment of "He fucked your granddaughter!" in the first call, but for which they then proceded (IMO) to attempt to alleviate the situation and genuinely add some levity.
- The statement from Sachs ought to have been enough to get a quick (and sincere, if comical) apology, which seems to have happend and for that to be the end of it.

This is bloody annoying

Russel Brand's podcast was the only comical one which I actually enjoy, the rest are all a bit forced. Now I'll just have to settle for a less comical SGU as my prime weekly podcast without a 'top second'.

Bah. Good one, general British public and stupid media overhype; you've ruined my week.

I think I'll learn from the media and overreact by killing myself/someone/anyone/whatever

Anyhow, the point of this post is to say that my present haircut isn't exactly how I wanted it, but was too flustered and flabberghasted to do anything about it at the time. It'll have to do, for now. Silly media, barber and Satanic Slut granddaughter. At least RB's podcast was still very amusing this week.
Frank

Postby Paul Carey on Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:22 am

It wasn't the smartest thing ever. But i will miss the podcasts, some of the content was priceless. However after talking to a few other fans of the show we wondered, if matt morgan was still about would this have happened? He seems to have a way of keeping russell in check.

Ah well, lets see what other podcasts are about...*goes off to load up itunes*
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Postby ascii on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:17 am

Frank wrote:This is bloody annoying

Russel Brand's podcast was the only comical one which I actually enjoy, the rest are all a bit forced. Now I'll just have to settle for a less comical SGU as my prime weekly podcast without a 'top second'.

Try Adam and Joe. Song Wars FTW!
ascii

Postby Hennessy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:18 am

I think it's simply that Brand's like Marmite, you either love him or hate him. I could spend quite a while lambasting you for improving the ratings of such a verminous, greasy-haired village idiot as Brand but it's quite obvious I hate ten bells out of him and could happily eat a full three course meal while he was burned alive in screaming mockney agony ten paces from me. I can actually see myself feeling quite jubilant if Brand is shot or dies in an accident in real life, apart from the tragically awful tribute acts this might spawn the world would be a brighter place. Enough ranting...

What's happened here:
He's offended the wrong people, and I'm not talking about the people on the street who hate him with a deep gut-feeling such as me, but the people in the BBC hierarchy who are probably more practical in their hatred and can't be doing with an awards host who insults every second nominee, or who harrasses retired employees, or who gets the leading light Jonathon Ross in trouble with his antics. Brand is a comparitively junior performer, has had trouble in his past, isn't likely to be a huge mainstream success with a long career like Ross, and above all he's probably earned a terrible reputation as a "loose cannon". I suspect the Beeb like to court some controversy as it improves ratings on certain shows, but there is very definitely a line in the sand there where it becomes that conservative "inform, educate and entertain" institution.

While we're at it, Justin Lee Collins, Alan Carr, Chris Moyles and shows like "The Mighty Boosh" should all be axed as well. I'd rather watch reruns of Only Fools and Horses quite frankly, and as choice in the BBC seems to have become either a re-run or an excerable new comedy act recently I'll take the re-run.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:23 am

Hennessy wrote:While we're at it, Justin Lee Collins, Alan Carr, Chris Moyles and shows like "The Mighty Boosh" should all be axed as well. I'd rather watch reruns of Only Fools and Horses quite frankly, and as choice in the BBC seems to have become either a re-run or an excerable new comedy act recently I'll take the re-run.

You're suggesting that all shows you don't like get axed? Are you serious? I mean, I honestly can't tell. Either all of the above was said ironically, or you don't understand the implications of what you said. Or, more worryingly, you do understand the implications and just don't care.

You realise that you share this country with other people, and that those other people have tastes which will invariably differ to yours? Who made you the final arbiter - that your tastes become the template for what should and should not be allowed? And how dull a world it would be in your Utopia.

Better to have a wide spectrum to cover all tastes than a narrow band covering just yours. Or mine. I have a solution to material I don't like; I don't listen to it or watch it. I've mastered the art of switching off or changing channels. You could do the same. Pretty sure UKGold will still have Only Fools and Horses on repeat loop. Much as I love it, there's plenty room enough for new acts. Vive Le Difference.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 am

Hennessy wrote:....

While we're at it, Justin Lee Collins, Alan Carr, Chris Moyles and shows like "The Mighty Boosh" should all be axed as well. I'd rather watch reruns of Only Fools and Horses quite frankly, and as choice in the BBC seems to have become either a re-run or an excerable new comedy act recently I'll take the re-run.

You're getting old. "Young people" like things that you don't. This is something that you're just going to have to put up with.
Or learn to repeat the phrase "it was so much better in my day".
Ewan Husami

Postby Humphrey on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:19 am

Well, Russell Brand, Jonathan Ross gag was bad taste and it is good that they have made a sincere apology and it has been accepted. What has been a bit over the top, in my opinion, is the ORGASM of morality we have seen from the media and the government. It’s as if everyone is channelling their economic frustrations into tackling a scapegoat. Judging by the frenzy in today’s papers, the only thing that will rectify the situation is if Ross and Brand are skinned alive and their carcasses worn by street performers, who can then act out a medieval morality play as a warning to the populace.
Humphrey

Postby Garnet on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:14 am

I think the main fault lies with the producers as it was a pre-recorded show which someone had to listen to and approve. I do think Brand made it worse for himself with his first apology as there's nothing worse than someone apologising who sounds like they don't mean it.
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Postby Hennessy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 am

Ewan Husami wrote:
Hennessy wrote:....

You're getting old. "Young people" like things that you don't. This is something that you're just going to have to put up with.
Or learn to repeat the phrase "it was so much better in my day".

I'm not that old. Your post thingy says you joined in 1970 at 1am. What was the sinner then? Some sort of guestbook left inside the union door or something?

And while I'm at it this whole "don't watch" argument is quite clearly flawed in that if those shows do get axed they will be replaced with something I might want to watch, so it clearly is the right thing to do to out them as cretinous rubbish for cretinous times. And I defy any of the performers I listed above to qualify for "popularity". The demographic they appeal to just regularly tunes in to see them that's all.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby eagle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

I don't think the sinner was around in 1970, but that's the first date available on UNIX systems I think - obviously a bug in the system somewhere.

If we're not meant to include the number of people who tune in to watch or listen to a show, how else should we judge popularity?
eagle

Postby Hennessy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:33 am

Longevity! Look at Only Fools and Horses!
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby orudge on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:39 am

eagle wrote:I don't think the sinner was around in 1970, but that's the first date available on UNIX systems I think - obviously a bug in the system somewhere.

Indeed, the old Sinner didn't record signup dates for certain users who signed up relatively early on in the site's life, so they resort to the earliest date "known" about, which is 1970.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Duggeh on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 pm

Both Brand and Ross are odious wastes of skin. Particularly Ross. How much Ross gets paid is further insult on top of his utter vacuousness.
Duggeh

Postby beeny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:08 pm

I think the whole thing was a massive over-reaction, partly by Andrew Sachs who keeps playing the martyr despite full apologies AND a resignation, and also by the media who somehow managed to get the PM and 17998 other people riled up about this. I don't even like Russell Brand but I feel for him in this, why hasn't moneybags Ross been forced to resign? He was as bad,if not worse than Brand in the calls.

Must say, a comment in the Metro today amused me though:

Georgina Baillie, the granddaughter apparently wants an apology to make up for the slight on her reputation.... Her reputation as a 'Satanic Slut' is surely only enhanced by such coverage. It's not like I'd ever heard of her oh-so-tasteful troupe before this.

Her and her grandfather should just let this rest now. Her in particular. She comes across fantastically hypocritical in this. Particularly since she did have a relationship with Brand.
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Postby beeny on Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:12 pm

Hennessy wrote:Longevity! Look at Only Fools and Horses!

Only Fools and Horses is without doubt one of the worst shows I have ever watched. It's not just that it's dated, it's that the main character is obnoxious, the comedy is obvious and .... well, it's just awful. If that's your metrestick for comedy no wonder you hate new shows, they're ACTUALLY funny.
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board