Home

TheSinner.net

Geopursuit

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Geopursuit

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 am

Has anyone else signed up to this Geopursuit competition? I got a door hanger placed on my door the other week, and I'm really stoked about it. I've no idea how many other people around the country are playing, so I can't work out my chances of winning the £10k, so I thought I'd see how many others are playing in St Andrews.

If you do want to sign up, you've only got 8 hours or so left! http://www.shell.co.uk/geopursuit
Better get moving if you want to beat me!
Ewan Husami

Re: Geopursuit

Postby eagle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:43 am

I just went into the Union to get a coffee, and Geopursuit are giving away free popcorn!

But now I have bits stuck in my teeth :x
But the bits were free! :D
eagle

Postby What? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:52 am

I've signed up. It remains to be seen whether I'll remember to be at my computer with Google Earth running and checking my email at half 6 every Thursday, but it's worth a shot!
What?

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:50 pm

I think they send you a text (which doesn't cost you anything) around the time they release the clues, so let's see what happens...
Ewan Husami

Postby Freaker on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:15 pm

If the practice is anything to go by, speed, not wits, will run this thing... :S
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby What? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:34 pm

am I being daft or is the grid reference given complete tosh?
What?

Postby Freaker on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Well, I guess it is meant to link us to something, but not necessarily give away the location just like that ;) . I'm wondering as well...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby What? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:49 pm

the location means something if you look at who runs the competition, but for the first round it seems to be pretty tough.

damn oil barons
What?

Postby What? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm

I've lost interest. I don't even know if my google earth is loading the shell file properly. Google Earth is being very slow as well.

I'll try again later.
What?

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:39 pm

1 hour of scouring the internet trying to get the next bit of the clue to no avail. :(.

My one lead is that I don't think the picture slightly north east fits that area. If I could identify that building - perhaps it comes from a different location ;-)

Problem is, I don't know if it's a famous building or not ...
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby ct3012 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:49 pm

I'm getting a location when I open the kmz file from the site, but I dont know what to do from there. Things to do with that location are pretty much all at that location :S
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby What? on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 pm

'We apologise for the interruption to your game. We’re experiencing technical issues at the moment and will contact you by email or text message as soon as we’re up and running again.

The Geopursuit Team. '

Sodding typical.

We should all get compensation.
What?

Postby what?!?! on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:28 am

I didn't even get a text message. I think my signup went wrong. I can see my username and password in the reminder email, but they don't work when I try to log in.
what?!?!

Postby zipporah on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:19 am

It's working now ... and not especially hard. Go to location. Watch video. Go to where video tells you. I'm hoping it gets harder!
zipporah

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:14 am

I've got the code, but when I try to enter it the system logs me out :s.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:42 am

Just an aside to unregistered user what?!?! - if you have a University e-mail address you can register an account quickly and easily. Gets your messages through without them being queued for moderator approval.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby What? on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:11 am

Fawksie wrote:Just an aside to unregistered user what?!?! - if you have a University e-mail address you can register an account quickly and easily. Gets your messages through without them being queued for moderator approval.

and registering with that username is just going to confuse me....

i had the same logging out issues. what a kerfuffle for £10,000 when the leaderboard suggests it's working for tons of folk already.
What?

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:05 am

I think we can all agree that this first clue shows us that this is not a quiz at all, but instead a crumy job advertising gimmick for shell. Come on, what was that, "Follow Theo's Journey"! That's the kind of question you'd get in primary school.

As for it being a job advertising gimmick - they've royaly fucked it up, haven't they? When I first tried to look for the clue there wasn't any "G" signs on the map, so no video. When finally it started working and I found the code, I couldn't enter it on the website. I'm not sure I'd like to work for a multi-billion pound corporation who deals with potentially enviromentally damaging materials, mostly computer controlled in it's logisitcs, who can't even run a simple web program!!!

I wonder if the developer(s) was/were shocked last night night when it all went tits up? "But Sir, we tested it in the office and it seemed to be okay? :S" Yes mate, maybe you didn't consider that the scale of this 'competition' was such that your normal webserver which deals mostly with B2B exchanges might not cut the mustard.
munchingfoo

Postby ct3012 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:02 am

What about the second code for the first clue? Is anyone having any luck with that?
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby Peckham on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:32 am

Mehh... the answer must have seemed obvious to you guys, because it hasn't helped me at all. I'm following Theo's journey from london, through to athens, southeast asia and back to athens... and i'm not finding any clues what so ever. Not sure if i'm just going about it completely the wrong way, or whether theres still a glitch with the files / google earth...
Peckham

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board