Home

TheSinner.net

Geopursuit

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Geopursuit

Postby only one little bit... on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:46 am

I haven't got anywhere with the riddle... I really want to complete this thing even so my social life dictates that I won't be at a computer till ~11pm at night on a Thursday so I've never come anywhere close to winning anything. It's all about the taking part.

My ideas:
Spoiler: show
possible years could be used to get useful numbers so 1947 comes from the province in india part and 1969 from the cardinal part... bands was too vague...

Anyone got another take to share?
only one little bit...

Postby rmf2k8 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:56 am

The locations

1. National Physical laboratory

2 Leaning tower of Pisa

The riddle

Back in the day, some bands released four songs
the cardinals wore their galeros
and the people of Kathiawar were ruled by their potentates

But add the present
and it's easy to see
the time of day
where the earth should be.

Havn't worked out the final location though
rmf2k8

Postby geopursuer on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:58 pm

Hi

My ideas on the riddle are below...
I too think that the riddle refers to 4 years, that when put together provide a N/E (or S/E or N/W or S/W...) position.

Back in the day (ok so in the past? or referring to one of the bands who did a song with this title, there are a few)
Some bands released four songs (all I have found is that Queen released 4 songs in 2003 for Nelson Mandela)
The cardinals wore their galeros (they were first permitted to do this in 1245, I don't think 1969 is right as they stopped then.)
And the people of Kathiawar were ruled by their potentates (not 1947 because they WEREN'T ruled by the British then - however if you look on Wikipedia it says that "by" 1820 the various princes were all subject to the British)
But add the present (ok so 2008)
and it's easy to see the time of day (I think this must simply indicate that we're dealing with coordinates here, i.e. hours minutes seconds, "the time of day")
where earth shoudl be (presumably just the little G icon???)

All this gives something like: 20 03'12.45" and 18 20'20.08" but that doesn't lead anywhere with the various combinations of NESW.

Anyone got any better ideas???

Cheers,
Tim.

P.S. the mini-game on the site is well tricky but I still just about eventually completed it. It's addictive too....
geopursuer

Postby Freaker on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Just a thought - I'm not sure the riddle gives a final answer on Google Earth, it may be the code directly. I need to look at what they say at the two locations again, but in the file, as far as I can see, only two locations have geotags, and I would presume those are the two that give you half a riddle each...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:42 pm

can someone just tell us the answer...cuase im getting really really really annoyed...to put it bluntly....ive gt the effing riddle but now wat....

Postby pevvey on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:29 pm

You know you can set the time of day on Google earth right? Maybe the tag only appears when you activate the right time in a location specified.
pevvey

Postby Andym22 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:02 pm

He's right about the file only having two clues, meaning only two geotags as well!

Change the file to .txt, go into it through test edit or notepad, remove line, hide children and you will see that when you change it back to .kml and load google earth it will not show any further clues.....

Stumped!
Andym22

Postby Freaker on Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:33 pm

Yepp, just looked back at the locations -

Put the two halves together, find the answer to the riddle and you'll have the code!

Guess we need to find a specific name or term...
Freaker

Postby widders on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:18 pm

well i have apparently won, anyways. some clues and the answer

look up some methods of finding celestial positions on wiki
also robinson crusoe in the with the same objective

ok the thing is ephemris search it on wiki, robinson crusoe used it to tell when there would be a solar eclipse. the years in the clues we're i believe the special years that you can base the tables off

Widders, hopefully 10k richer :D
widders

Postby Kelly_Bills on Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:02 pm

Damn! This is just like my glasses. It's there... in front of my eyes... but I didn't notice it.

I know that it's most likely to be the word start with that 2 letters. I searched every words start with them, see this word too but didn't realize its meaning. I'm Asian and have to accept that I don't familiar with it.

Congratulation Widders! You deserved that.

And I really enjoyed this week riddle and that golf puzzles. Good job Shell !!!
Kelly_Bills

Postby Widders on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:54 pm

thanks to people who aren't really pissed off like the guy who is "100% sure" i haven't won. Well done to everyone whon managed the stuff before, im not gonna lie, i got some of the answers from this forum :P

thanks for the help guys

Widders
Widders

Postby scat3386 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 am

I still can't understand why ephemeris was the answer :( How does the riddle point to it??????? o.o
scat3386

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:02 am

Ey! Now everything is done... could anybody write the last code? I have not managed to figure it out. Thank you.

Postby Widders on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:21 pm

i posted it above, also turns out the leaderboard isn't ranked by time but by like phone number or something stupid so i've not won, possibly, its all up in the air but since i think all the other people in first used some method for getting the code out of the KML files so their times will be minicual compared to mine even though im in the top 7. GAY

oh the code is:

Ephemeris

all the years referenced are that sort of year, and they can be used to predict the position of the planets and stuff
Widders

Postby Not done yet on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Guest wrote:Ey! Now everything is done... could anybody write the last code? I have not managed to figure it out. Thank you.

It is not done yet, we still have the bonus game to play, which is super difficult.... :(
Not done yet

Postby Imperial on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:46 pm

Widders wrote:i posted it above, also turns out the leaderboard isn't ranked by time but by like phone number or something stupid so i've not won, possibly, its all up in the air but since i think all the other people in first used some method for getting the code out of the KML files so their times will be minicual compared to mine even though im in the top 7. GAY

oh the code is:

Ephemeris

all the years referenced are that sort of year, and they can be used to predict the position of the planets and stuff

It is impossible to get the code out of the KML file, what u can get is the location but not the code. Those people may hack the website so they know it.
Imperial

Postby zipporah on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:19 pm

Widders wrote:i posted it above, also turns out the leaderboard isn't ranked by time but by like phone number or something stupid so i've not won, possibly, its all up in the air but since i think all the other people in first used some method for getting the code out of the KML files so their times will be minicual compared to mine even though im in the top 7. GAY

If you got into the top seven because you grabbed answers off a message board, you're hardly one to complain that the winner didn't use their own intellect to solve the puzzles.
zipporah

Postby Guest on Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks a lot :)

Postby Hennessy on Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:18 am

Hmm I havent much followed this but reading the site it says they've targeted "select universities" for the game. Bit of a graduate recruitment on the sly from Shell? Perhaps they have a code-cracking division and a vacancy has just opened up.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Freaker on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:52 am

Hennessy wrote:Bit of a graduate recruitment on the sly from Shell?

Most certainly. Every location, once you've found it, would have a little page with info about the Shell technology behind what you've just found, and a link to a page should you be interested in their graduate careers. Nearly all the locations were to do with something Shell, and nearly all the thinking that would lead to those locations / videos with hints would point at how some smart fellow working for Shell had some bright idea for the future that would make the world a better place. Now who wouldn't want to be that smart fellow........?

Who knows, maybe the top-placed people will get periodic updates about Shell's recruitment process and current vacancies in their inbox for the next few years to come. :roll:
Freaker

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board