Home

TheSinner.net

Geopursuit

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Geopursuit

Postby What? on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:19 am

Or there could be sour grapes?

If they're techies and worked out some method then fair play to them, they can do something I can't and we saw in week 1 how weak Shell's systems are. I wouldn't be surprised if they were so weak some folk can find the answers.
What?

Postby Andym22 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:45 am

Do you really think sending a letter of complaint is going to do anything?

They will look at it, maybe apologise, which i doubt, they'll probably applaud the analytical nature of the cheating, and they're hardly going to send you a free camcorder as a consolation...

So i'm struggling not to say its a pointless endeavour but honestly i wouldn't waste your time!

It does get more and more frustrating every week though!
Andym22

Postby Freaker on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:15 pm

Their Official Competition Rules are interesting to read - nowhere does it say that hacking the file or so would be cheating, but it does say that they reserve the right to suspend anyone from the competition for "unfair" practices. They also say that their final word is indeed their final word, and that no correspondence will be gone into.

If I understand it all correctly, it is the points, and not the speed, that decides in the end (the speed only decides the number of points each week) - so there must be something at some point to distinguish the numerous people tied for first spot at the moment...

Just out of interest - how many points could one have scored so far? There are 1000 points each week if you enter the code on day 1, plus 700 for the snake drill game, but the first spot people have 5700, and there have only been four weeks... anything I'm missing?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:01 pm

i won a camcorder from last week and i'm not a shell employee and i havnt won a weekly prize before. stop being bitter.

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:02 pm

You could get 2000 points one week.

It says in the rules that the 10K will be given to the person who scored the most points in the shortest time.

Postby Guest on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:04 pm

I just got how the first clue was relevant from last week. I'm sure everyone's got it now so this is just academic but

Spoiler: show
7 from 12 is Libra. Switch Google Earth to sky view and find Libra. You get the clue "All I wanna do is have some fun", keep singing it in your head and bingo you're at Santa Monica Boulevard looking at the code

I only figured it out as someone randomly put some coordinates on this forum.

As an aside: I still can't find this week's code (convincing myself it's not me but some failure to show the logo). Also I've played the extra snake game several times and I don't get any points. Maybe this is all punishment for using OS X & Firefox..

Postby Andym22 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:12 am

It takes a while to come up but its where the pipe joins the land!

I would have preferred it if i'd got the result by using that clue, the song is now stuck in my head, thanks for that btw

OS X doesn't like Shell, which is nice cos neither do i, Firefox seems to allow the game to work however.
Andym22

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Any body got anywhere yet??

Postby monimonimoni on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:06 pm

anyone know what this weeks second clue is??
monimonimoni

Postby Guest on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:08 pm

I've solved this week.... but again, some people just solved it TOO fast... Do you guys think some cheating is going on?

Postby Andym22 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:12 pm

2nd Clue points to the Palace of Versaille where they have massive solar panels!

Google Earth is acting up again, so won't be able to win as getting stupid problems, i can't be bothered with this anymore!
Andym22

Postby guest on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Andym22 wrote:2nd Clue points to the Palace of Versaille where they have massive solar panels!

Google Earth is acting up again, so won't be able to win as getting stupid problems, i can't be bothered with this anymore!

How do you find out this? u are so smart!

Postby clever on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:29 pm

code is
waynsie
clever

Postby Widders on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:31 pm

yes as in on the leaderboard, but don't ask me how
ok, the a13 is out of paris, as above, the other is in cornwall, delaboles, 10 windmills leading to 53 25' 31.00N 1 17' 11.68E
Widders

Postby Fawksie on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:51 pm

Right peeps, please use the spoiler tags if you're going to post clues or hints. It's common courtesy. I'm not going to bother editing any posts which reveal things like that to include spoiler tags any more, I'm just going to delete them.

Also, Shell Representative, please contact admin@thesinner.net with your Shell e-mail address if you wish to post, and an account will be created for you. An unregistered post from a Be DSL IP does not fill me with confidence as to your identity.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Andym22 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Sorry will use spoiler in future!

Getting really annoyed at this annoying program, but yet i'm still doing it!
A13 out of london goes east... Im not THAT smart haha
Andym22

Postby What? on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:01 pm

*braces for influx of unregs*

ok so the second part this week was easy...now onto cracking the entire riddle
What?

Postby guest on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:05 pm

whats the second part? where can i find it :P?

Postby Guest200 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:07 pm

I'll trade someone half a clue for the other half? :-)
Guest200

Postby Freaker on Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:25 pm

Ah well, I guess it is all over now ;) ! This week being the last one, and I am sure by now the fastest will have solved it all again...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board