Home

TheSinner.net

Webmail Spam Filters...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Webmail Spam Filters...

Postby Duggeh on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Over the last several years previous committees of a society of which I am a member have managed to run up an impressive list of more than 10,000 individual spam filters on the societies webmail account, blocking individual spammers instead of as is the sensible way, just filtering for the {Spam?} tag. The processing through this list lends a certain.. lagginess.. to the webmail experience.

The webmail interface only lets you delete these filters one at a time, and because of the page load times caused by the size of the list, it takes at least 20 seconds for each deletion. That works out at like 50 years to remove them all.

Naturally, I contacted ITS about this and asked them to reset or delete the spam filters list. I have been told however, that such an action lies beyond their powers.

That to me sound, frankly, at least surprising, in general unacceptable and at most downright bullshit. What would be the difficulty if they've got all the dials and buttons at their end?

I don't suppose that anyone might have an alternative solution, the option of sitting for a whole day developing RSI deleting these things is not open for consideration.
Duggeh

Re: Webmail Spam Filters...

Postby Darkwind on Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Not sure about a better option for deleting the filters but as I understand it, the inability to mess around with the contents of e-mail accounts means that they cannot get at any e-mails you have in your account and so have no ability to look in for malicious reasons (which I feel is good)
Darkwind

Postby orudge on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Duggeh wrote:That to me sound, frankly, at least surprising, in general unacceptable and at most downright bullshit. What would be the difficulty if they've got all the dials and buttons at their end?

Due to the way Horde stores preference data and so on, it would be tricky, but not impossible, for somebody at ITS to sort things out. It's probably the kind of thing that they could do if they really wanted to, but they don't want to put the effort into it.
orudge
Administrator

Postby DaftPunk on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:42 pm

In my experience ITS are lazy buggers, so my advice to you would be to try and speak to some computer geek who might be able to give you more help!
DaftPunk

Postby theshadowhost on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:52 pm

change e-mail account.
theshadowhost

Postby RandomMusings on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Try getting ITS to set up a forwarding option to a new e-mail client such as googlemail. This might help...
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Gubbins on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:00 am

RandomMusings wrote:Try getting ITS to set up a forwarding option to a new e-mail client such as googlemail. This might help...

You can forward mail yourself by setting up a file in the root directory (top-level folder) of your account's filespace. Call the file ".forward" and, in the file, type the e-mail address you want to forward it to.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby househunter on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:08 pm

Forward your email to a Gmail account, I did this whilst at Uni without any consequence. Better interface and pretty much unlimited space.
househunter

Postby Fawksie on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Hundreds of students forwarding all their University e-mail is what gets us blacklisted on Hotmail every time a mass-mail goes out. It's a foolish idea and it has no relevance to Duggeh's problem.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:11 pm

if webmail wasn't so slow and had a better user interface people would be forwarding to it rather than away from it.
theshadowhost

Postby Duggeh on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

A better user interface with tickboxes would be fine. You can choose select all for emails themselves, then untick certain ones. Yet this absolutely base functionality is lacking from the filters page.

I hold no hope of the situation changing however. For so many things the university line is "if it isn't broke, don't fix it, and if its slow, stupid, pointless, lacking, faulty, or easily improved, then leave it until it does break."
Duggeh

Postby househunter on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:22 pm

It would be a good idea for people to stop using Hotmail anyway, especially students. A girl handed me her CV today that had her email listed as something like cutie-pie-xxx@hotmail.com.

Best break the habit now as some employers wont take a CV seriously if it's from a Hotmail address.
househunter

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:27 pm

yeah that's one reason i got gmail early. i got a sensible one that uses my name.
theshadowhost

Postby What? on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:33 pm

househunter wrote:It would be a good idea for people to stop using Hotmail anyway, especially students. A girl handed me her CV today that had her email listed as something like cutie-pie-xxx@hotmail.com.

Best break the habit now as some employers wont take a CV seriously if it's from a Hotmail address.

Or get a sensible Hotmail address. I snapped up my name@hotmail.co.uk as soon as they came out.
What?

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:47 pm

True, but it's still kinda the myspace to facebook.
theshadowhost

Postby What? on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:53 pm

or, heaven forbid, the bebo of this world.
What?

Postby Duggeh on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I can feel exclusive because it's no longer possible to take out an email addy at talk21.com
Duggeh

Postby eagle on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Might it be an idea to launch a campaign to get the University to change webmail?
If enough people ask them to do it, perhaps they'll take notice.
eagle

Postby amac on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Fawksie wrote:Hundreds of students forwarding all their University e-mail is what gets us blacklisted on Hotmail every time a mass-mail goes out. It's a foolish idea and it has no relevance to Duggeh's problem.

Yes, good. Blame the users.

1998 called and wants its email system back. The lag in time travel would explain some things though.
amac

Postby Fawksie on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:20 pm

amac wrote:
Fawksie wrote:Hundreds of students forwarding all their University e-mail is what gets us blacklisted on Hotmail every time a mass-mail goes out. It's a foolish idea and it has no relevance to Duggeh's problem.

Yes, good. Blame the users.

Sorry, who or what else would you like me to blame? If 200 identical e-mails hit 200 Hotmail addresses within 30 seconds of each other, what do you think Hotmail's spam detection system does?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board