Home

TheSinner.net

How much????

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

How much????

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:00 am

Bottom of the Page: Most users ever online was 102 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 pm

How reliable is this figure bearing in mind I've never really seen more than 25 on before? Was there some special reason for this many people to be online at that time? Is it something to do with the Geopursuit thing?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re: How much????

Postby Fawksie on Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:02 am

Yes, Thursday night is Geopursuit time. It should be accurate, and crawlers aren't counted.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:35 am

I'd be more interested in the statistic of - thread views/posts.

We had a thread a couple of days ago that 800 odd page veiws in 1 day and only 1 post. That to me suggest that somewhere between 600 and 800 individuals actually viewed the sinner that day. It was Raisin monday, so perhaps all the old bastards went out there and spread the word?.

If you are reading this and are not a registered user - register! It's free and, relatively, painless. Also, most of the users are relatively harmless.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Hennessy on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Incorrect use of the possessive apostrophe there foo, you a disgrace to the man race! :twisted:
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:18 pm

If most of the posts on here don't scare people off, I'm sure that this plea to register won't at all do that ;)
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:46 am

Hennessy wrote:Incorrect use of the possessive apostrophe there foo, you a disgrace to the man race! :twisted:

I LOVE IT!!!!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Stu le taxi on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:31 am

RandomMusings wrote:
Bottom of the Page: Most users ever online was 102 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:10 pm

How reliable is this figure bearing in mind I've never really seen more than 25 on before? Was there some special reason for this many people to be online at that time? Is it something to do with the Geopursuit thing?

I helped run a phpBB forum a couple of years ago. Most days there were perhaps 10 online at once max, and I think the "most users ever online" was around 20.

One day it shot up to well over 50 for no apparent reason, and there were 50 or so guests shown online for several hours on end.

At a later date the figure shot up to 130.

Don't know what caused it, but I'm almost 100% certain that it wasn't genuine forum visitors.

Looked good for visitors though :D
Stu le taxi

Postby Fawksie on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:36 am

Heh, indeed. They've tightened up the detection of users quite a bit in phpBB3, so I'm reasonably certain that they were actual people and not crawlers. And it's right in the middle of Geopursuit time. Wonder if we'll top it next week.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 am

Fawksie wrote: Wonder if we'll top it next week.

Not sure about that - Far too many people have got pissed off with the competition...
RandomMusings

Return to The Sinner's Main Board