Home

TheSinner.net

"Tedlines"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

"Tedlines"

Postby mhuzzell on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:02 pm

Where better to bash The Saint than The Sinner? No, really, I like The Saint, but something in the latest issue got my humourless dyke hackles up, and I didn't want to say this politely enough to put in a response, or a letter to the editor. I just wanted to say it.

So, this 'Tedlines' fella. What a wanker! And not just in the self-described way of his viewpoint article. I had already cooled to him in the last piece of his I read, deriding the Lower Rents Now Coalition for being, er, y'know, a campaigning group. Patrick O'Hare responded handily to that one, but his new article enrages me afresh.

It's not just that it's a load of misogynist twaddle. That's annoying, and not really funny, but I'm post-post-feminist enough to overlook a bit of sexism in the name of humour. If, that is, there is any humour to be had. My real issue is this: bitch can't write! He introduces his piece with an anecdote about a magazine photo that supposedly illustrates the difference between male and female senses of humour. Except that he forgets to ever actually *describe* the photo that supposedly illustrates his point, so that the point itself is utterly lost. What's left is an incoherent, directionless, sexist blather about how men and women are, like, different, innit? If I didn't enjoy getting worked up into a healthy furor, I wouldn't bother reading this jerkoff at all.

I am not so arrogant a writer myself as to pretend to be able to offer advice to this budding columnist, nor do I think any tips I could give could even penetrate the viscous cloud of willful ignorance with which he so evidently enshrouds himself. Thus, I have just one thing to say to him: IRON MY SHIRT.

ETA: Okay, okay, okay. Ironic point called. The rest still stands ;)
Last edited by mhuzzell on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re: "Tedlines"

Postby ANON99 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:28 pm

They refused to write an article about Idlwild...biggest band in f*in ages and they won't write about it....The Courier did even! with a 1/4 page photo....step it up the saint.

ALSO....do they need to be bitter in *every* article. It's like they all believe the only way to write a good article is to sound like an arrogant twat....it IS ok to be happy about some things you know....
ANON99

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:09 pm

I hear The Saint hands out bottles of buckfast to Madras pupils, in order to photograph them for the moral outrage!

Saint's fine. Leaving aside from the fact that the accusations of twattishness, illitirisy and general fuck-bendery apply equally to The Sinner; you should expect to get what you pay for, which as of last year is nothing. 'Cept you get something pretty good for reading over coffee, or when you should be doing an essay (not entirely unlike The Sinner). Of course, there are occasional exceptions, including the occasional actionable publication (Ditto The Sinner).

Also, I hear The Sinner posts BNP membership lists on the internet, and then blames disgruntled former party members!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:36 pm

The Saint does actually seem to have improved a little of late. I actually don't mind getting a copy and having a read of it, although I must admit that I often miss out the middle pages with the longer articles just because they take a bit more time to read and sometimes you actually have to be interested in order to make the effort.

However, I'm like that with a normal newspaper too - read the main stories at the front and the sport/reviews at the end.....
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Jono on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:46 pm

can't believe I missed the obvious:

You don't funny 'cause you're a woman! NYEAH! =P

... Also, St Andrews is a dreary humourless place.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Delts on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:17 am

I love the saint for it's idiocy, like one issue where someone mentioned St Andrews having a grand total of just two beaches.

*West... East... Castle.. Wait a minute!*
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby the_third_man on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:43 am

While we're complaining about the Saint, what happened to the website?

http://www.thesaintonline.com/

Quoth the website: "The Saint Online will be back bigger and better in October 2008"

(It's flashier, but in spirit it's the same as those permanent "under construction" pages on some personal websites.)
the_third_man

Postby Frank on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:10 pm

For one, I enjoy the Saint. It's hardly top-knotch journalism, but it is like reading things do on forums...but in real life. People'll have silly opinions and we're compelled to complain about them. It's great!

Hadn't read the entire paper this week, so have for now missed Tedlines, but I was curious about the Ten Commandments bit by the Anyone for Tennis folks. What's a Mu-mu?

One of these?
Frank

Postby Delts on Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:41 pm

It appears I've missed this edition of the sinner. God damn my sleep pattern.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby ct3012 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Did no one else think that the headline about a baby almost being killed over Raisin Weekend was ever so slightly alarmist and exaggerated?
The article itself had no mention of any baby narrowly escaping death, but it turned out that broken glass fell near it's pram. I'm pretty sure that even if the baby HAD been directly under the window that it still wouldn't have been killed but injured at worst. (Saying that, if it was my baby I'd still be pretty shaken up about it)

The Saint could be improved content-wise, but hey, at least it's not Life on the Links....
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby RandomMusings on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:32 pm

ct3012 wrote:hey, at least it's not Life on the Links....

Here here.....
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby careba2010 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:51 am

Or the badly spelt "Andrean" that was floating around last week.

Gosh that was dire!
careba2010

Postby Jono on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:59 pm

ct3012 wrote:Did no one else think that the headline about a baby almost being killed over Raisin Weekend was ever so slightly alarmist and exaggerated?
The article itself had no mention of any baby narrowly escaping death, but it turned out that broken glass fell near it's pram. I'm pretty sure that even if the baby HAD been directly under the window that it still wouldn't have been killed but injured at worst. (Saying that, if it was my baby I'd still be pretty shaken up about it)

The Saint could be improved content-wise, but hey, at least it's not Life on the Links....

I thought so too at first, but they have a journalistic duty to report that sort of thing i suppose. Imposing a veil of silence in the name of student solidarity would be worse.

Which is of course the problem with the Raisin tradition. It doesn't matter if 99.999' % of students behave well, because it only takes one person to do one thing once, and the press (not the saint so much, but local rags) will vomit themselves empty with moral outrage and condemnation.
Jono

Postby Frank on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:35 pm

Jono wrote:
ct3012 wrote:Did no one else think that the headline about a baby almost being killed over Raisin Weekend was ever so slightly alarmist and exaggerated?

I thought so too at first, but they have a journalistic duty to report that sort of thing i suppose. Imposing a veil of silence in the name of student solidarity would be worse.

Which is of course the problem with the Raisin tradition. It doesn't matter if 99.999' % of students behave well, because it only takes one person to do one thing once, and the press (not the saint so much, but local rags) will vomit themselves empty with moral outrage and condemnation.

We might as well invite Jonathan Ross & Russel Brand along to join in the Raisin fun!
Frank

Postby Freaker on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:33 pm

careba2010 wrote:Or the badly spelt "Andrean" that was floating around last week.

Gosh that was dire!

That one kept me amused for quite some while, until I started feeling a little sorry for all those companies associating with the magazine by funding it with their ads. Then I felt sorry for anyone responsible for the many spelling mistakes. Then I found it just amusing again. Anyone know if there'll be a next issue ;) ?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Stu le taxi on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:40 pm

Don't know if the article in the Saint mentioned it, but by coincidence a weekend article in the Dundee press was about the outcome of a case involving a three-foot rolling pin falling from a window and fracturing a baby's skull:

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/outpu ... 108t0.shtm
Stu le taxi

Postby Gold Lion on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:50 pm

ANON99 from what I hear The Saint didn't "refuse" to write about Idlewild, but what was asked of them was to write about it weeks in advance, when it isn't actually a story until it has happened....it's free advertising
Gold Lion

Postby ct3012 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Stu le taxi wrote:
Don't know if the article in the Saint mentioned it, but by coincidence a weekend article in the Dundee press was about the outcome of a case involving a three-foot rolling pin falling from a window and fracturing a baby's skull:

I did indeed see that. In the Sun on Friday or Saturday it mentioned it and said that the baby is from Lochgelly, and then I felt a slight sense of pride that something famous has actually happened to do with my town that doesn't involve a 63 year old granny getting stabbed to death by a 16 year old girl...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7734495.stm
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby careba2010 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:41 pm

Freaker wrote:
careba2010 wrote:Or the badly spelt "Andrean" that was floating around last week.

Gosh that was dire!

That one kept me amused for quite some while, until I started feeling a little sorry for all those companies associating with the magazine by funding it with their ads. Then I felt sorry for anyone responsible for the many spelling mistakes. Then I found it just amusing again. Anyone know if there'll be a next issue ;) ?

Oh Freaker I do hope there is another edition it was just hilarious and it was so pretentious and just seemed to be an advertisment for those Jumpers
careba2010

Postby Frank on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:50 pm

ct3012 wrote:
Stu le taxi wrote:

I did indeed see that. In the Sun on Friday or Saturday it mentioned it and said that the baby is from Lochgelly, and then I felt a slight sense of pride that something famous has actually happened to do with my town that doesn't involve a 63 year old granny getting stabbed to death by a 16 year old girl...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7734495.stm

Crikey! Still, Cowdenbeath only tends to appear in football results.
Frank

Return to The Sinner's Main Board