Home

TheSinner.net

What's going on this weekend?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What's going on this weekend?

Postby Legion on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Any big parties planned, or is anyone leaving 'the bubble' to venture as far afield as Edinburgh or Dundee? (Or further?)
Legion

Re: What's going on this weekend?

Postby zipporah on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:28 pm

Quite ironic if people chose this weekend in particular, as for once it's a weekend of St Andrews-based events, activities and community spirit.
zipporah

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:55 pm

St Andrews Christmas Lights switch-on is this weekend.
There is a St Andrews Day(ish) live music event in Venue 1 on Saturday with some very good local bands playing
There is Terrorism - a play - at the Barron starting tonight for a 4 night run.
Bop tonight is (I think) in aid of AIDS awareness.

Alternatively, there is a full list of St Andrews Festival events somewhere online. I'm sure Matt Guest, the Association Community Relations Officer could point it out to you - community.relations@st-and....

Failing all that, stay in - it's cold.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Falkirk Craig on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:15 pm

RandomMusings wrote:Bop tonight is (I think) in aid of AIDS awareness.

It is indeed.

I'm not sure where the advertising has gone for tonight but it is a Red Themed Bop for AIDS awareness.
Show your support, come dressed in Red!

edit...
Found a Facebook Group for the event.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=3 ... 935&ref=nf
Falkirk Craig

Postby Unreg Bob on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:43 pm

RandomMusings wrote:AIDS awareness

I mean seriously what the Fuck, could you have picked a more well known disease to have an awareness night of?! I think you can be pretty safe in assuming all the students of this University know about aids and the related issues.

Oh no sorry, I forgot, St Andrews has a crazy percentage of American students...I take my statement back.
Unreg Bob

Postby Freaker on Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Unreg Bob wrote:
RandomMusings wrote:AIDS awareness

I mean seriously what the Fuck, could you have picked a more well known disease to have an awareness night of?! I think you can be pretty safe in assuming all the students of this University know about aids and the related issues.

Oh no sorry, I forgot, St Andrews has a crazy percentage of American students...I take my statement back.

I'd be quite surprised, really, if you had reasonable knowledge of the "related issues" of AIDS, in particlar in terms of the impact of the disease on development and the role social stigma in the developing world - I would doubt that many people at all do, hence the awareness-raising. Come off your high horse and give yourself the chance to be surprised by the schedule drawn up, and the sheer number of "related issues" that you may just be able to find a tad out about.

Oh no sorry, I forgot, we are in St Andrews, where raising awareness of problems outside the bubble is really just, well, outside the bubble...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Unreg Bob on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Freaker wrote:the sheer number of "related issues" that you may just be able to find a tad out about.

I'm sorry...what exactly am I going to find out about Aids at the bop when I am drunk tonight? Perhaps it will give me an excuse to wear that short red dress I would otherwise feel embarrassed wearing. Save your propaganda for leaflets to be posted through doors.

I might then actually learn something as I can read it when I’m bored drinking my hangover coffee the next morning. I really don’t know what you're trying to achieve by relating the bop to Aids...Its disgustingly cringy...as usual.
Unreg Bob

Postby househunter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:20 pm

You would learn that it's AIDS, not Aids.
househunter

Postby househunter on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:24 pm

They may also be making people aware that AIDS is finally funny.

househunter

Postby armor on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:16 pm

The St Andrews Festival events programme can be found here http://www.standrewsfestival.co.uk/
armor

Postby Hennessy on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:10 pm

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Return to The Sinner's Main Board