Home

TheSinner.net

Bear avatar - split from 'The reason behind my Sinner avatar

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Bear avatar - split from 'The reason behind my Sinner avatar

Postby 777 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:41 am

Interested to hear the story behind Duggeh's.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re: CONCEPT: The reason behind my Sinner avatar

Postby Duggeh on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:10 pm

Which one, I've had three since the site relaunch.

On the old Sinner I had the Tubular Bells album covers, increasing for each academic year. With the new Sinner I moved to homogenise my avatar used with that I use on other forums, which is primarily the Teal'c "Indeedatar" which is an animatd gif that I made from the original random jpeg.

Other avatars I use are also varients with "indeed" or some play on words similar to "indeed" on them.

Heres a selection of some of the ones I've used on head-fi.org over the years. It hasn't been updated in a while.

Duggeh

Postby 777 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 pm

The bear, Duggeh.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Postby 777 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Duggeh wrote:Deploying the Chrimbo avatar.

...and avoiding the question.

Postby Duggeh on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:13 pm

You actually haven't asked a question.
Duggeh

Postby 777 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:26 pm

I have asked you, several times, about the bear avatar. Explain it.

Postby Al on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 pm

You haven't actually asked a question though.
Al

Postby 777 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:50 pm

Ok, Duggeh, I want you to explain why you used that bear as your avatar. Do you subscribe to the principle behind it or did you just think you were being clever?

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 am

I wasn't aware that memes from places like b3ta or 4chan had any principles. However I can tell from your overzealous use of dramatic commas and your confrontational vocabulary that you've obviously taken it far too seriously.

Why did I employ the use of the image? Basically, because it went alongside a bad pun on "indeed" I had not to date used.
Duggeh

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:54 am

Nice try, Duggeh. Now, instead of attempting to turn it back on me, explain why you used that bear as your avatar.

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:22 am

I fail to see this "nice try" and I'm not sure what it is you think I'm reversing. I gave an explanation in my previous post. If you didn't understand, read back to my earlier post on the avatars I've used and try again.
Duggeh

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:28 am

I asked you if you subscribe to the principles behind the bear avatar or if you just thought you were being clever. You haven't answered that question; answer it, if you can.

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am

He has explained perfectly clearly why he used it, now stop pushing the issue please.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:40 am

No, he hasn't. At best, it was a crass and stupid image to use. Anyone who chooses to use that image as an avatar has to expect to be called to account and asked to explain it, fully.

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:43 am

Are those the only two answers I'm allowed to give? You provide less room in asking a question than Jeremy Paxman or John Humphries when what we should be after is Eddie Mayer.

I neither do nor do not subscribe the the principles behind it as you term the phrase because there are not any. Paedobear (more commonly Pedobear after the American spelling of the word paedophile) is an internet meme character. It's like the Star Wars Kid, or Chuck Norris, or Rick Astley, or Mr T, or Colin Mochrie, or Leeroy Jenkins, or Tubgirl or Lolcats or any other one you care to name. It's designed to get a laugh by being chopped into various pictures of children or in circumstances similar in context aimed at getting the same sort of giggle. What principles you think it has I don't know, but if you think that it somehow condones paedophilia or that my using the image means that I condone paedophilia then you're a fucking idiot.

I don't think I was being clever, but I'll be damned if that means I've been baited and this can now be read as me saying that I was being stupid. I wasn't that either. Nobody could ever claim that the pun between "indeed" and "inpaed" is clever with a straight face.

Do you have any other vacuous avenues of inquiry you'd like to have investigated?

--edit--

Ah I see that while I was typing this you've answered a few of the points I made. You are a fucking idiot. However I'll respond again.

777 wrote:No, he hasn't. At best, it was a crass and stupid image to use. Anyone who chooses to use that image as an avatar has to expect to be called to account and asked to explain it, fully.

It wasn't crass or stupid. Anyone who uses it can do so if they want, as for being called to account, this is the Sinner for pity's sake, its a fucking dive hole of pedantry and foolishness with a generous lump of black Pythonesque humour thrown in. Realise where you are and how daft you sound trying to come over as some sort of high moralist.
Duggeh

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:46 am

You've been abusive, offensive and rude. Now answer the question.

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:49 am

Last edited by Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duggeh

Postby Frank on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:49 am

777 wrote:I asked you if you subscribe to the principles behind the bear avatar or if you just thought you were being clever. You haven't answered that question; answer it, if you can.

I'd say it's an horribly loaded question, for one, and probably a false dichotomy too. Depends on how you treat folks doing anything in terms of 'being clever'. One might hope that most folks feel they're 'being clever' most of the time, but then that'd be incommensurate (or immensely disappointing) if you keep finding out you weren't as cleveer as you hoped.

Speaking of 'thought you were being clever', 777, where's the netwarrior/aggression coming from? Or unwillingness to simply accept (or more helpfully question) the old "because it went alongside a bad pun on "indeed" I had not to date used." answer, hmmm?
Frank

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:54 am

At no time have I been "aggressive" or set myself up as a "netwarrior." I asked a question, it hasn't been answered. At no time have I sworn at Duggeh or used any abusive terms. This is the Sinner, I can ask any question of anyone.

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:56 am

777 wrote:At no time have I been "aggressive" or set myself up as a "netwarrior." I asked a question, it hasn't been answered. At no time have I sworn at Duggeh or used any abusive terms. This is the Sinner, I can ask any question of anyone.

You don't have to swear or be abusive to insult someone. Frankly, your insinuation that I condone paedophilia is far more offensive than a couple of stock curses. You can ask any questions that you want, but failing to see that they have been answered, even though they were stupid questions to start with, is I am fairly sure, fail.
Duggeh

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board