Home

TheSinner.net

Bear avatar - split from 'The reason behind my Sinner avatar

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: CONCEPT: The reason behind my Sinner avatar

Postby Frank on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:59 am

777 wrote:At no time have I been "aggressive" or set myself up as a "netwarrior." I asked a question, it hasn't been answered. At no time have I sworn at Duggeh or used any abusive terms. This is the Sinner, I can ask any question of anyone.

You wouldn't countenance the idea of aggressive question asking, then?

You wouldn't think any of these might apply to the rest of the thread?

1. Characterized by aggression: aggressive behavior.
2. Inclined to behave in an actively hostile fashion: an aggressive regime.
3. Assertive, bold, and energetic: an aggressive sales campaign.
4. Of or relating to an investment or approach to investing that seeks above-average returns by taking above-average risks.
5. Fast growing; tending to spread quickly and invade: an aggressive tumor.
6. Characterized by or inclined toward vigorous or intensive medical treatment: an aggressive approach to treating the infection.
7. Intense or harsh, as in color.

What's happened?

I really ought to stand with Duggeh on this. It's silly.

You've got your sensible answer. You don't get happy answers to stupid false dichotomies.
Frank

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:10 am

I never insinuated that you condone paedophilia, Duggeh, but I'd be happy to answer you if you can show me the words of which you are complaining.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:18 am

RandomMusings wrote:Could become quite a weird one......

I suppose a more comedic variation could be 're-enacting my Sinner avatar'

Hmmm, when I said this initially, I wasn't expecting the thread to move on in quite this way.........
Kinda right though, wasn't I - eh? eh? eh?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:19 am

777 wrote:I never insinuated that you condone paedophilia, Duggeh

No, but you continue to insist that he state whether or not he "subscribes to the principles behind the bear avatar". Since you have repeatedly rejected the explanation that he combined an ongoing theme with a well known meme to arrive at the avatar in question, it gives the impression that you assume that he does in fact "subscribe to the principles".
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:22 am

Fawksie wrote:
777 wrote:I never insinuated that you condone paedophilia, Duggeh

No, but you continue to insist that he state whether or not he "subscribes to the principles behind the bear avatar". Since you have repeatedly rejected the explanation that he combined an ongoing theme with a well known meme to arrive at the avatar in question, it gives the impression that you assume that he does in fact "subscribe to the principles".

No, it gives the impression that you presume to know what my meanings and intentions are.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:25 am

Very well. State them now please, since they're evidently not clearly understood by us all. What do you mean by "the principles behind the bear avatar", and why are you asking the question?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:27 am

I made it clear in my question. You stated that Duggeh has answered that fully, therefore you must now accept that by refuting your suggestion I have answered your question fully. Pedantry applies across the board.

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:30 am

I stated that he had given a clear explanation of why he used it, I did not state that he had answered your question [Ok, Duggeh, I want you to explain why you used that bear as your avatar. Do you subscribe to the principle behind it or did you just think you were being clever?] fully.

So, please do tell me what you understand to be "the principle behind it".
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:33 am

I have explained what I mean. You can tell me what you understand to be the principle behind it.

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:38 am

At no point in this thread have you defined what "the principles behind the bear avatar" are. If you think I'm wrong in saying that, kindly set me right and quote the lines where you did so. How do you expect to have your question answered if you won't elucidate its exact meaning?
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:44 am

As I don't expect you to answer on Duggeh's behalf, it matters not that you don't understand the meaning.

Postby Fawksie on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:48 am

As a moderator I'd like to see the specific discussion of the bear avatar brought to a close, and a return to topic.

I'm asking you one final time to state for the benefit of Duggeh, myself, and everyone else reading what you understand to be "the principles behind the bear avatar", before I remove all the posts concerning it from the thread.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby 777 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:52 am

You, as a moderator, are the person continuing to discuss the subject. Frank, Random Musings and you all stepped in and gave your opinions. Duggeh left the discussion some time ago, my subsequent answers were to those others, not to Duggeh. If you don't wish to continue discussing it I suggest you drop it yourself.

Postby Thalia on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:54 am

Copied from the pedobear.org website, which I'd assume is the best indication of the principles behind a meme that you're going to get:

"-Notice to Idiots.-
We Do Not Support Pedo-Bear or Child Abuse/The Actions of Others.

We Also do not condone the Abuse of children or any of that crap.
We might have a twisted sense of humor, but We're Not Monsters."

So...the point of pedobear? For people with a strange sense of humour to be amused. Nothing particularly wrong with that in my opinion despite the rather controversial subject matter.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board