Home

TheSinner.net

St Andrews in NY Times

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St Andrews in NY Times

Postby eggface on Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm surprised no one has yet posted this snobbish and belittling article that was featured in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/educa ... tland.html
eggface

Re: St Andrews in NY Times

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:28 pm

The article chops and changes between comments from both St Andrews & Edinburgh, giving the impression that what is true for one, is true for t'other.

But other Americans say they have been less than impressed by a system in which there are few assignments, and there is almost no help from professors. “Feedback on essays ranged from very little to none,” said Ben Wilkofsky, a philosophy student at Edinburgh. “There is no feedback on exams.”

This part is true... of Edinburgh - and played a major part in me turning down my offer at Edinburgh. It isn't true of St Andrews; at least not the School of Philosophy... nor Classics.

There is a broad array of student clubs — serious (the Philosophy Society, the Humanist Society), hedonistic (ChocSoc, for chocolate lovers, or the Water of Life Society, devoted to whiskey tasting) or peculiarly Scottish (Edinburgh’s Highland Society and the St. Andrews University Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Appreciation Society) — many of them meeting at pubs.

It's *whisky* FFS!

Easily remembered thusly:-

Whiskey from Ireland, which has an E
Whisky from Scotland... and as we all know (cough) there's no E in Scotland.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby schmod on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:37 pm

What a terrible article!

I came to St Andrews as a JYA, and received an offer to stay, but decided to go back home instead. Worst fecking decision I've ever made.
schmod

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:37 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:
There is a broad array of student clubs — serious (the Philosophy Society, the Humanist Society), hedonistic (ChocSoc, for chocolate lovers, or the Water of Life Society, devoted to whiskey tasting) or peculiarly Scottish (Edinburgh’s Highland Society and the St. Andrews University Tunnocks Caramel Wafer Appreciation Society) — many of them meeting at pubs.

It's *whisky* FFS!

Easily remembered thusly:-

Whiskey from Ireland, which has an E
Whisky from Scotland... and as we all know (cough) there's no E in Scotland.

...and the 'Water of Life Society' doesn't exist, Quaich Soc does.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:42 pm

and "there's f'in Falkirk"!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby orudge on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:54 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:...and the 'Water of Life Society' doesn't exist, Quaich Soc does.

It exists at Edinburgh.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Hennessy on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm

Agreed. Very snotty article. And that "little or no tuition" I pay is a large part of my loan, which they neglected to mention.

Good to see more young Americans are getting out there and travelling to the frozen wastes of Limerick, Waikato and Scotland. Maybe now they'll learn something :P
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby What? on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:11 pm

After all, Africa is a country now.
What?

Postby Spike on Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:08 pm

schmod wrote:What a terrible article!

I came to St Andrews as a JYA, and received an offer to stay, but decided to go back home instead. Worst fecking decision I've ever made.

It's never too late to change for semester 2! come back Schmod!
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Return to The Sinner's Main Board