Home

TheSinner.net

Why is it absolutely fucking freezing in my house?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Why is it absolutely fucking freezing in my house?

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:25 pm

Wow that's a big bill. Our last bill with 3 months of ludicrous heat and electricity wastage was £16. And we left lights on accidentally and had the heating on full blast accidentally!
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Person on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:12 am

Actually, I think Albany Park is the warmest place I've ever lived in in St Andrews. I don't think I can recall ever being cold in my room there, and all I had on my bed was a pretty flimsy quilt, no duvet, no hot water bottle, etc. Now that I'm in private accommodation and have to pay for heating (in a very old building that, like someone else said, is colder than the outdoors most of the time), I'm constantly freezing. A hot water bottle at night is a must, but generally I keep mine topped up with hot water all day long when I'm in the flat. It's like an extension of my person. I recommend getting an electric heating pad for your bed. Plug it into the wall and turn it on for 15 minutes or so before you get into your bed, and it should keep the bed warm for a good wee while. Turns out to be much more cost-effective than electric heaters and whatnot. Dressing gowns and slippers, as well as camping socks, can also have a drastic effect on a person's quality of life here. I'm thinking of getting some fingerless gloves (or making some out of regular gloves...) so my hands don't freeze so much while I'm typing and the rest of me is hiding under the covers.
Person

Postby Gealle on Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:53 am

And I thought I had it bad cause I was keeping the house at a constant 35 celsius...

Poor buggers.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:44 am

777 wrote:I phoned them after the last snottogram. My d/d was much lower than £188 when I moved in here last year, Scottish Gas acknowledge that my usage hasn't increased.

Read this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7748057.stm

Sounds like it applies to you. How long have you lived in the house? If more than a year then you can work out your annual consumption, then multiply it by the price rises.

Prices have risen 35%, so you would likely see a 35% increase in your DD. An increase of more than this is profiteering. As a first action you should contact the company and offer to pay a 35% increase on your previous DD of £40. Don't let them refuse. Tell them you will switch to standing order if they refuse to manage your DD responsibly. You still get the DD savings by standing order, but you get to decide how much to pay every month. Next contact ofgen, they need as much information as possible to stop these idiots.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby diamond_dan on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Hennessy wrote:Well the answer is pretty simple, the heating's turned off, as Albany Park doesnt get winter heating until January, so about midday the temperature drops to the point where it's cold unless you're wearing at least three layers and a vest. Anyone getting bored with the incessant frigidity? (or annoyed at the University's heating schedule?)

man just tan off that bottle of smirnoff i left at yours (if it hasnt gone already lol :P) - get warm russian style!
diamond_dan

Postby Abserdman on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:48 pm

Ah, the advantages of a gas heater in the sitting room. I can be nice and warm in one room without heating the whole house, I can turn it on and off at will and it heats the room fairly quickly! It may cost me but it's worth it.

Our monthly direct debit is £40 and we haven't gone over it yet so we've some credit to use up anyway!
Abserdman

Postby Hennessy on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Person wrote:Actually, I think Albany Park is the warmest place I've ever lived in in St Andrews. I don't think I can recall ever being cold in my room there, and all I had on my bed was a pretty flimsy quilt, no duvet, no hot water bottle, etc. Now that I'm in private accommodation and have to pay for heating (in a very old building that, like someone else said, is colder than the outdoors most of the time), I'm constantly freezing. A hot water bottle at night is a must, but generally I keep mine topped up with hot water all day long when I'm in the flat. It's like an extension of my person. I recommend getting an electric heating pad for your bed. Plug it into the wall and turn it on for 15 minutes or so before you get into your bed, and it should keep the bed warm for a good wee while. Turns out to be much more cost-effective than electric heaters and whatnot. Dressing gowns and slippers, as well as camping socks, can also have a drastic effect on a person's quality of life here. I'm thinking of getting some fingerless gloves (or making some out of regular gloves...) so my hands don't freeze so much while I'm typing and the rest of me is hiding under the covers.

Which room of which house? They arent uniformly cold or warm, I caught a guy upstairs the other day with his window open while it was snowing. The answer was simply that his room has less of a heat variance than mine, which last night was like an icebox.

And thankyou dan, but that bottle was drunk a long time ago! I owe ya one.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby zipporah on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:41 am

I'm surprised at the Albany complaints - yes, there's that horrible hour or two in the afternoon when you're waiting for the heat to kick in again, but I get plenty of warmth between 8-9am. I normally wake up because it's too hot and turn the radiator off before going back to bed for a bit. My only complaint is that my radiator only functions when turned up high, so I get to choose between cold and too hot.

Until recently I was sleeping with the heating off completely. It's surprising how much difference sleeping under the blanket they give you aswell as the duvet makes.
zipporah

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:52 am

It really depends on what room you have. If you have a prevailing wind facing corner room it's near impossible to keep the room warm.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board