Home

TheSinner.net

Secret Garden

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Secret Garden

Postby Bored Blue on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:21 pm

I keep hearing about a "secret garden" lately. Does this place exist in st andrews? If so, where is it and is it worth a visit?
Bored Blue

Re: Secret Garden

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:07 pm

Yes it does exist, although I'm not entirely sure where it is. You can't just turn up anyway though. They have "Secret Garden" tours during some special events throughout the year. Just look out for them in the paper or local adverts. I've heard that it's well worth seeing.

This seems to be a likely candidate for it's location. Anyone know what it is?

map
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Frank on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Yep, there's at least one. Behind Regs. You've got to sneak round the back of the hall then climb through a hole in a fence, but it's a big open garden. You can see it from the driveway that bypasses the Bute to let vehicles into St Mary's.

Just chatting about it to another chappie and discovered that, more than anything, I'd like very much to sneak in there and have a long, mind-obliterating drink. Strange how things develop.

Where I think it is
Frank

Postby Fawksie on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:21 pm

St Andrews has plenty of gardens which could be considered secret. Lots of them between Market and South Street and Market Street and North Street. There's one in particular behind a tall wall at the east end of Market Street that I've heard mentioned before. And I remember reading about a University garden that was previously hidden behind a wooden door, which they replaced with an iron gate to allow people to see in, but I can't find the press release.

Edit: got it
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Pan on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm

There's some really pretty period gardens that can be got to through the preservation trust museum on north street (near the cathedral). Not sure if they are secret are not, but they are nice! I assume you can only get to them when the museum is open though.
Pan

Postby Timata on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 pm

There's a walled garden near that large house on the road into St. Andrews - kind of near the fake tree just along from Melville.

map
Timata

Postby Frank on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:14 pm

Better map of where I thought it was

But it seems there's oodles of secret ones.
Frank

Postby Timata on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Frank wrote:Better map of where I thought it was

But it seems there's oodles of secret ones.

Your link refuses to work unless I use Internet Explorer - Microsoft may be trying to tell me to stop looking at maps and get back to studying
Timata

Postby Frank on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:19 pm

Live Maps do have better pictures, but it's of the same place as before: so not that interesting.
Frank

Postby orudge on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:27 pm

Timata wrote:Your link refuses to work unless I use Internet Explorer - Microsoft may be trying to tell me to stop looking at maps and get back to studying

Should work on Firefox, too, and Safari. At least, it does for me. ;)

I have to say, I didn't realise until I moved into a flat (which had a back garden) in the centre of town for my first summer after 1st year that there was such greenery hidden between the streets - it was only then when I looked up the MSN aerial maps that I discovered that St Andrews had a lot more greenery than I thought it did!
orudge
Administrator

Postby Timata on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 pm

The LiveSearch maps still have DRH on, and lots of open field beside Morrisons...

and are these cooling towers, or some kind of weird tent?
Last edited by Timata on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timata

Postby orudge on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 pm

And a lack of the Jack Cole building on the North Haugh, too! The car park on Doubledykes Road was also not a car park back then, it seems, and there seemed not to be a road from the bus station down to the main car park where all the taxis tend to wait.
orudge
Administrator

Postby ojk6 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:34 pm

I think there's a walled garden that's known as the Principal's [of St Mary's College] "Secret Garden". St Mary's referred to it as such in some of its events emails last year. It's hidden behind the annex of St Mary's.
ojk6

Postby Thackary on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:14 pm

Timata wrote:The LiveSearch maps still have DRH on, and lots of open field beside Morrisons...

and are these cooling towers, or some kind of weird tent?

Those are the gasometers for St Andrews. Partially obscured by a wall, and just next to the otherwise picturesque B&B.
(and has anyone noticed the kick off just about to take place on the adjacent sports field?)
Thackary

Postby Fawksie on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:03 am

Indeed, they're the last vestiges of the old gasworks which was demolished in 1964. There was quite a lot of decontamination of the soil to be performed when the gasometers were eventually demolished, lots of lovely cyanide compounds and suchlike.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:26 am

I used the Careers Centre Garden for a play earlier in the semester, and people referred to that as 'the secret garden' - there are so many 'secret' gardens here that they, by definition, are no longer 'secret' - merely 'less-well-known-about-and-under-populated-areas-of-greenery'.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Zanbato on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Frank wrote:Yep, there's at least one. Behind Regs. You've got to sneak round the back of the hall then climb through a hole in a fence, but it's a big open garden. You can see it from the driveway that bypasses the Bute to let vehicles into St Mary's.

Just chatting about it to another chappie and discovered that, more than anything, I'd like very much to sneak in there and have a long, mind-obliterating drink. Strange how things develop.

Where I think it is

Thats the West garden of the Bute.

I was using that garden over the past 2 weeks to trap small mammals and investigte their population dynamics. When I first saw this I was worried that it would suddenly be inundated with students messing with the traps; now that i've finished I guess it doesnt matter. There's a nice semi-pond at the top of the garden and it's full of wildlife.

Its not really that big a secret; they use it for teaching Ecology and until very recently it was maintained by the University.
Zanbato

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Is a semi pond somewhere for men that is surrounded by pictures of sexy naked women interspaced with pictures of car crashes?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Zanbato wrote:
Frank wrote:Yep, there's at least one. Behind Regs. You've got to sneak round the back of the hall then climb through a hole in a fence, but it's a big open garden. You can see it from the driveway that bypasses the Bute to let vehicles into St Mary's.

Where I think it is

Thats the West garden of the Bute.

I was using that garden over the past 2 weeks to trap small mammals and investigte their population dynamics. When I first saw this I was worried that it would suddenly be inundated with students messing with the traps; now that i've finished I guess it doesnt matter. There's a nice semi-pond at the top of the garden and it's full of wildlife.

Its not really that big a secret; they use it for teaching Ecology and until very recently it was maintained by the University.

Until about 5 years ago, it had fallen into disuse and became overgrown but since then it has been immensely smartened up so that the Bute can use it for garden parties, barbeques, etc on special occasions as well as teaching. Usually, the gate into it is locked, however, I seem to remember friends of mine from Regs telling me that it is accessible from climbing over the roofs of Regs - they'd sit there sometimes and smoke weed.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Return to The Sinner's Main Board