Home

TheSinner.net

So who else is pissed off at Christmas Ball?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: So who else is pissed off at Christmas Ball?

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 pm

zipporah wrote:it just seems like a very fancy, overpriced bop to me.

There have been many events in my meagre time at St Andrews which could be described as fancy, overpriced bops.

The Christmas Ball certainly never has, and dear God I hope never will be, one of them.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Haunted on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:01 pm

irish200 wrote:Implicit difficulty? Arts students have early lectures too you know. I myself have 10am and 11am lecture most days.

Hello? I was responding to this

by abc123 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:00 pm

The thing that pissed me off was the fact that unless you have no classes or dont care about classes you can't get a ticket since you can't afford to queue for several hours on weekdays! It would have been much fairer to have at least one "selling day" at the weekend! I'd be interested to know the Arts: Science student ratio attending the ball this year!

If your careful you can spot the implication that more art students were able to queue (and thus presumably get tickets) since they don't have as much morning lectures (if indeed they have them at all) as scientists. Your personal anecdote does not change this.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby RobFett on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:57 am

Do an online raffle
Publicise it well
Give people a week to register and put up their money
They can only submit one application for up to 4 tickets (use st andrews email addresses to do this)
Draw the names out of an electronic hat
The people who get picked get their tickets, the people who don't get their money refunded.

No long cold queues, everyone has an equal chance. Happy Christmas to everyone.
RobFett

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:01 am

RobFett wrote:Do an online raffle
Publicise it well
They can only submit one application for up to 4 tickets (use st andrews email addresses to do this)
The people who get picked get their tickets, the people who don't get their money refunded.

Worst idea ever. Wow let's make the Christmas Ball a competition! I can see why you aren't on the committee and never will be.

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:32 am

I'm pretty sure the word you are looking for is "lottery"; a "competition" tends to imply that the parties involved have some way of modifying the outcome of the event.

I like Rob's idea, and it is one that I have heard outwith the internet from a number of different people as a possible solution to the ball's ticketing issues. It would be like getting an early christmas present if you won!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Craig on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:58 pm

Deathmatch.

Two go in, one comes out and gets to have tickets.
Craig

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:02 pm

Tickets should be hereditary, passed down through academic families. That would be awesome.

The first tickets will have to be allocated by a jousting tournament, obviously.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Barry The Banana on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:Tickets should be hereditary, passed down through academic families. That would be awesome.

The first tickets will have to be allocated by a jousting tournament, obviously.

Best idea yet. I go with that one.
Barry The Banana

Postby Freaker on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:35 pm

Treasure hunt! Options for tickets are placed where people would not expect to find them. Some hints may be given. People can then redeem their "vouchers" and pay for tickets at collection. Putting some of those vouchers in obscure library books for those that study too hard to have time to queue, stapling some to the back of a St Andrews tie at BESS, underneath plates at Beatons, printed on golf balls left about the place, one or the other on the scanners in the computer rooms that nobody ever uses, and for special dares, anchor some in a boat just off the beaches - that'll get the AU involved! Of course, tickets for any undiscovered/not redeemed vouchers would go on sale normally afterwards, with particularly long queues, encouraging people to go to new lengths to find vouchers the following year. Voila, a tradition is born!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby irish200 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Haunted wrote:
irish200 wrote:Implicit difficulty? Arts students have early lectures too you know. I myself have 10am and 11am lecture most days.

The thing that pissed me off was the fact that unless you have no classes or dont care about classes you can't get a ticket since you can't afford to queue for several hours on weekdays! It would have been much fairer to have at least one "selling day" at the weekend! I'd be interested to know the Arts: Science student ratio attending the ball this year!

If your careful you can spot the implication that more art students were able to queue (and thus presumably get tickets) since they don't have as much morning lectures (if indeed they have them at all) as scientists. Your personal anecdote does not change this.

Maybe so, but you simply sound like a bitter little scientist. Boo hoo. Oh and not Your, try You're and much should be many, to correct your post.
irish200

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:56 am

And you, Sir, sound like a cock, but let us not get personal.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby RedCelt69 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:12 am

Guest wrote:
RobFett wrote:Do an online raffle
Publicise it well

Worst idea ever. Wow let's make the Christmas Ball a competition! I can see why you aren't on the committee and never will be.

No. The worst idea ever would be to have people queuing up on a bitterly cold November morning, allowing queue-jumping and making the allocation process a competition of who can endure the conditions the longest and/or be the most brazen wrt the aforementioned queue-jumping.

Frankly I was amazed to learn that in the 21st Century this kind of allocation system is still in place. My own suggestion would be very similar to that proposed above... with the exception that cards would only be processed for those allocated tickets, thus negating the need for refunds.

As for publicity, it could be argued that an event so heavily over-subscribed doesn't need publicity. Personally, however, I managed to miss the event being announced in the first place. First I even knew of such an event was when I read this thread.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby RedCelt69 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:19 am

Which should, of course, have read:-
Implicit difficulty? Arts students have early lectures too, you know? I, myself, have 10am and 11am lectures most days.

Now all I need is for someone to explain why we're employing spelling and grammar pedantry. o.O

Or why this was deemed even remotely necessary:-
munchingfoo wrote:And you, Sir, sound like a cock, but let us not get personal.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Thalia on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:24 am

Just out of curiosity, what was the problem with banking on a Saturday? Is the union with a bank that doesn't open on Saturdays? I know they close earlier than normal that day but on a day where people definitely don't have classes the tickets could just have been sold from an earlier time, surely? (and yes, i know that means people queue earlier too but that's their choice :P)

I like the online idea - saves an awful lot of hassle even if there is a risk of too much demand causing some problems.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Guest on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:47 am

The union can only have a certain amount of money in the safe (for insurance reasons or something I presume), for an event like the christmas ball where all the money is collected at the same time the takings exceed the amount allowed in the safe and it has to be banked at several periods over the day. On a Saturday the money can't be banked,it can't stay in the safe and it's irresponsible for the committee to keep such a large amount of money in their houses.

Postby Thalia on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:22 am

Yes, I understood that. What i was asking was why it couldn't be banked on a Saturday when banks are open on Saturdays. Not that i'm that bothered, I was just curious.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Unreg on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:43 pm

irish200 wrote:
Haunted wrote:

Maybe so, but you simply sound like a bitter little scientist. Boo hoo. Oh and not Your, try You're and much should be many, to correct your post.

If you want to be that petty then I feel the need to point out that he was right with the word "your".

HAHA, IN YOUR FACE!!!!

Mod Note: This is just too funny not to let through. Your, You're.
Unreg

Postby Haunted on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:49 pm

irish200 wrote:Maybe so, but you simply sound like a bitter little scientist. Boo hoo. Oh and not Your, try You're and much should be many, to correct your post.

Good Sir, I humbly bow to your sheer superiority over me. I am in awe at your deductive reasoning, and when this is coupled with your grammatical corrections to my hastily typed words, it serves to make you even more awesome than my first sentence implied. You are the pinnacle, the apex, the apogee of our fair race of talking apes.

I shall petition the world governments immediately to have your excellence acknowledged.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby megan on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:03 pm

As a new(ish) student to this forum, I'd just like to question whether the members are always this hostile to each other? Off topic I know...
megan

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:12 pm

megan wrote:As a new(ish) student to this forum, I'd just like to question whether the members are always this hostile to each other? Off topic I know...

Pedantry is standard fare, particularly if there's grammar Nazism to be had, however this level of sniping and name-calling is more unusual and unattractive.

Stop it, kids! You're scaring the newbies!
Bizarre Atheist

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board