Home

TheSinner.net

The Liberty Club?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Liberty Club?

Postby Cato on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:37 pm

Hello all,

I was curious if anyone knew if the Liberty Club was still active in any way? They seem to be silent/inactive recently. I've been toying with the idea of setting up a libertarian society through the Union, and, while I know the Liberty Club isn't affiliated, I do wish to take them into account before starting the whole process.

And yes, I do realise the irony of joining the Association bureaucracy. But it does make room bookings and funding so much easier.

Cheers
Cato

Re: The Liberty Club?

Postby Lid on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:49 pm

As far as I remember, Michael Piekos [sic?] was trying to revive this old chestnut. It could perhaps be worth facebook stalking the chap or looking him up in the address book, as I think while they were inactive, some of their sponsors kept up payments to their account, so joining them might be a more attractive option than trying to start one from scratch - should you so desire, of course.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby Hennessy on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 pm

I'm in that club, yes we havent done very much this year at all, unfortunately, but I believe we were going to have a speaker at one of the debates, or maybe that's already happened. as you can tell I've been a bit out of the loop. Probably better to contact Michael about it, via facebook, first. The society was revived last year to a small number of people interested in the tenets of libertarianism, and is indeed completely free of union interference.

The Liberty Club facebook group is here:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2202045030

Just editing, I've been meaning to put this on the sinner for a while, but have you seen this? It's an interview of Milton Friedman, by PBS Open Mind in America in 1975, and it is, in my opinion, one of the best cases ever given for libertarian government:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9872701693
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby David Bean on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 pm

I met Michael when I was up for the CF Scotland conference last weekend; yes, he was telling me that they are reviving the Club (not before time, either!), and the Facebook group should be the best place to go to find out more.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Return to The Sinner's Main Board