Home

TheSinner.net

Idlewild concert was amazing

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Idlewild concert was amazing

Postby Fawksie on Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:59 am

Venue 1 has decor?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby thePontificator on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:15 am

Jono wrote:
thePontificator wrote:
RandomMusings wrote:
I have a feeling we've tried that before and people didn't turn up -

There was also a Music Festival put on in the union and people didn't turn up. It needs to be well known bands to get anywhere Venue 1 anywhere near full. Otherwise it's always going to be hardcore fans and people who are friends of the band who are playing.

That's the curse of having a chuffing great 1,000-capacity venue, and a tiny number of events with a cats chance in hell of filling it up! To sell out any given event, 1/6th of the entire student body (which can politely be described as eclectic) has to turn up. Otherwise, in my opinion, events looks under-attended, and a bit crap. Rocksoc is the big one for me. I prefer the V2 arrangements, because it just looks empty in Venue 1, even with half the room cordened off.

Add to that those events which run elsewhere because the decour is allegedly inappropriate, and you've got a big black hole!

The music festival a few years ago, which a member of Musfund busted a gut to organise, was not well attended, even by venue 1 standards, as far as I can remember. For most gigs in St Andrews the Beer Bar is cordoned off with that white cobwebby stuff that decorates venue 1 and even then some gigs look sparsely attended.

To be honest I just think it's a case of too few people being interested if it isn't a name band. Not much can be done about that.
thePontificator

Postby Delts on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:20 pm

We've started doing half venue1 since the acoustics are better rather than extended beer bar. It's worked pretty well so far.

Ideally venue2 would have no sound restrictions or we'd have a venue3 which was a between size and no sound restrictions, alas we do not.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board