Home

TheSinner.net

Where are you doing your Christmas shopping this year?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Where are you doing your Christmas shopping this year?

Postby ct3012 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Personally, I did a lot of mine on Play.com and Amazon but after reading this article in the Sunday Times, I feel a bit guilty about it. At the same time, I'm not sure I'd stop buying online from Amazon even though they are so harsh on their employees.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5337770.ece

Does this make anyone else feel a bit arse twitchey?
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Re: Where are you doing your Christmas shopping this year?

Postby ojk6 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am

Yes, it did me... especially as I got them to wrap the stuff for me as well. Although I heard that it's just as bad if you order something from Argos for delivery. I don't suppose you can beat actually going in to a shop and buying something, but that tends to cost more and I would have to transport the stuff South with me...
ojk6

Postby the Empress on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Sounds awful (and damned dodgy too).

I've done most of my shopping at the Pier as it's closing down (adminstration, argh) and I get staff discount. It's sad, especially as they're all such great people:S Having worked from 9am to 3pm, without a drink and sill having a huge queue I just declared I was on a break . . . wouldn't cut it at Amazon!
the Empress

Postby ct3012 on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm

I thought working 8.30 - 6 on boxing day in a large Currys store, having to face the masses and with no proper breaks was bad!
Are there not any laws that mean you have to have a certain amount of breaks depending on your shift length? Or are Amazon just getting by this by the skin of their teeth?
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:55 pm

ct3012 wrote:I thought working 8.30 - 6 on boxing day in a large Currys store, having to face the masses and with no proper breaks was bad!
Are there not any laws that mean you have to have a certain amount of breaks depending on your shift length? Or are Amazon just getting by this by the skin of their teeth?

I believe there are some sort of laws along the lines of one 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked on a shift.
If you are working overnights - I believe this lengthens slightly to 20 mins per 4 hours.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Cain on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 pm

RandomMusings wrote:I believe there are some sort of laws along the lines of one 15 minute break for every 4 hours worked on a shift.
If you are working overnights - I believe this lengthens slightly to 20 mins per 4 hours.

I think that that only applies to people who work shifts of over six hours.

Of course, my brother used to work at a McDonalds in Glasgow and was ordered to take his break 20 minutes into an 8 hour shift. Some bosses don't really care.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby the Empress on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:57 pm

I don't think you're entitles to a break if you work 4 hour shifts. I've been told by employers this in the past anyway.
the Empress

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:16 am

Sorry, I should have said 'more than' four hours.

I used to get nothing for a 4 hour shift, but 15 minutes if I did a 4 1/4 hour shift. If I did 6 hours, then I'd get 20minutes and for 8 hours it was 30 minutes (either in one go or as two 15s). I can't imagine my employer would have been granting us more than they had too - although I guess things might have changed since I last worked a day shift for them.... switched to nights a couple of years back.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Kegrad on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:25 am

It's 20 minutes break in a shift that's over 6 hours for those over 18. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10029451

You've just all had really nice employers! When I worked at Brewer's Fayre (owned by Whitbread, who also own Pizza Hut, Costa etc) for a summer we were told this was all that they had to give us.

I think it's interesting that people are saying Amazon shouldn't be doing this, rather than the law should be changed - if the law was changed it would create a more level playing field for everyone.
Kegrad

Postby kas481 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:35 pm

In my company we have the following rules for breaks:
under or 4 hours - no break
under 6 hours - 15 min break, no food provided
under 8 hours -20 min break, food provided
over 8 hours - 30 min break, food provided
kas481

Postby Cain on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:09 am

At my current job we work for an hour and three quarters, get a fifteen minute break, work for an hour and three quarters, get a fifty minute lunch break and then work for an hour and three quarters before we go home.

At the job I had when I was an undergrad we had a fifteen minute break every two hours, then a half hour break at the middle of our 8 hour shift. In one department, we also had a quick five minute cuppy break every hour, or at the end of a batch.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Guest on Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:03 pm

the empress - what Pier is going into Administration?

Postby the Empress on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:42 pm

*eye roll* 'The Pier' is a chain of shops selling furniture, candles, random glittery things.
the Empress

Postby emily-c on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:55 pm

I love the pier :( so sad it's going. I will miss those ginger peach candles...*sniff*
emily-c

Return to The Sinner's Main Board