Home

TheSinner.net

What is 2009 going to be for you?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What is 2009 going to be for you?

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:25 pm

For me, 2009 will be the year I run a marathon, graduate, and with any luck enter the world of work.

What is the year going to bring for you fine Sinners?
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re: What is 2009 going to be for you?

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm

I'll treat this like an optimistic New Year's resolutions thread:

Get respectable 15ish grades in my modules
Lose 1/2 stones of weight
Learn to drive
Buy a Wii
Go on a holiday
Bulk the CV a bit
Drink less
Earn more bunsen
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Delts on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:43 pm

Hopefully I get back onto my intended degree, get a position that I aim to run for, have a load of successful events with fuzzmund and find some more awesome bands, make a ton on a good summer job and end the year in a good financial position, doing well on my degree, far fitter, playing bass regularly and knowing enough about ents that I rival MeerkatMan, Spike and Orudge knowledge wise.

[edit] A holiday would be good as well. I'd like to hit up Sweden at some point and have enough to go boarding in 2010 [/edit]
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Ditto to Mr Atheist really. Graduate, find gainful employment both for next year and for the longer-term future. I'd quite like to get my concentration back if possible too.

Oh, and....

Delts wrote:... and knowing enough about ents that I rival MeerkatMan, Spike and Orudge knowledge wise...

...you will never be able to do that Delts - we are one (well, three) of a kind!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Duggeh on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 pm

I should like to by the completion of 2009 be capable of growing a beard. I find it a source of irritation that there are teenagers that can do it and yet I remain incapable.

Graduation and all that shit too.
Duggeh

Postby James Shield on Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:16 pm

In 2009 I will finish all my plans for my sabbatical year, see my friends graduate with firsts and distinctions, pass this DoR thing on to an enthusiastic, determined and imaginative successor, wish the other sabbs the very best of luck as they take their next steps towards world domination, then get back into academia again and finish this degree I started in 2005. And also read Murder in Samarkand by Craig Murray, The Rest is Noise by Alex Ross, The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing by Richard Dawkins, and What Terrorists Want by Louise Richardson.

Maybe.
James Shield

Postby Freaker on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:40 pm

2009 will be the year I intend to move to China, for an unlimited amount of time and with little intention of coming back for longer in the near future. Hopefully that fill follow from graduating and finding a job - but hey, gotta look at the larger picture :D !
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby orudge on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:50 pm

2009 is the year that I will graduate (I hope!), and start a job in the US. That's the plan, at least! I'm also hoping to, er, "leave my mark" on St Andrews in some appropriate manner, and make sure all our newer Ents members are suitably trained up for when us old gits leave this year. It'd probably be good if I were to get a bit fitter and lose a little bit of weight, too, I imagine.

First, though, dreaded exams to get through, and then a trip to California!
orudge
Administrator

Postby the Empress on Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:36 pm

Graduate (again) (hopefully), get a graduate job, obtain a relationship or buy a chinchilla . . . . . and travel to Mexico (the dream). To be bolder and more exciting (maybe).
the Empress

Postby ct3012 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:01 am

The year I: lose 2 stone; actually start doing work to get into and justify doing Honours; don't max out my overdraft (or at least as often); move in with my boyfriend and out of the parental hell that is home.
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby Jono on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:45 pm

2009 will be the year in which I finish my dissertation, finish my degree, graduate, and then get the hell out of dodge. Principal Irvine is credited with saying "nobody leaves St Andrews until they have to." In spite of all the good times, and regardless of the bad, my time has come! My intention is to start a law degree. No doubt I'll return at some point to sue the Union for manifold health and safety violations. :D
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Garnet on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 pm

-Well I just got confirmed that i have a place on the edinburgh marathon, so get fit and go through with that.
- Improve my spanish
- practise the guitar more
- graduate with a 2:1, and have a plan for next year either going to japan or get into screen writing course
- make 2 short films for rogue productions
- be more reliable
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Postby Hennessy on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 pm

2009 will be the year I:

+Get a bit beardy for a while just to see what it's like
+Officially go on an archaeological dig abroad
+Enjoy my motorcycle rather than get annoyed at it, and probably die coming off it at a ridiculously low speed that will make the council re-assess speed limits and piss everyone off.
+Attempt to have sex more on purpose rather than by accident
+Eat! I am underweight now and scrawny, need a bit more muscle mass aswell.
+Travel, travel anywhere and everywhere, far and near.
+Take better care of my money by a) Not spending it on fags and b) spending less of it on booze.
+Get an internship somewhere and see what drudgery awaits me in the "real" world.
+Show my enthusiasm for my chosen subjects a little more, no more hungover/sleepy lectures.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby bdw on Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Go round South Africa.
Do up house.
Get 10k time down to 40 minutes.
Spend less time at work and more down the pub with mates.
Ensure the preceding point is not enabled by way of a P45.
bdw

Postby Telinar on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 pm

Get my dissertation finished and sent off to those organisations who are interested in my work, graduate, then figure out just what the hell to do next.
Telinar

Postby ojk6 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:13 pm

In the Year 2009 I'd like to: Lose some weight, put in a bit more work, find somewhere suitable to live, pay a bit more attention to the people who really matter to me, make some ammends to people I've upset, see a bit more of bonny Scotland, leave my current job and have a little bit more fun! But then this is a world of surprises and you never know who or what is going to come your way!
ojk6

Postby schmod on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:14 pm

[*]Graduate
[*]Get a Job
[*]Return to St Andrews for a few days

(Probably not in that order)
schmod

Return to The Sinner's Main Board