Home

TheSinner.net

Islay Whisky Festival

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Islay Whisky Festival

Postby Dave25 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:48 am

Looking for someone of any sex wanting to get over exam stress by heading to Islay for a week between around 23rd and 31st May for an awesome whisky festival. Have done this before with a mate and we had a great time. Liking peaty Islay whiskies is an advantage.
Dave25

Re: Islay Whisky Festival

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 am

I could be tempted. Depends on finances... but could be tempted. Do you have a url for details?

I've only paid a visit to the Bruichladdich distillery, and still have 2 bottles for the occasional nip. Wouldn't mind a look-see at the Caol Ila distillery. It's fairly close to the ferry... but sadly the timing between Jura/Islay ferry and Islay/Kennacraig didn't allow for even a brief visit.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Duggeh on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 am

Islay Whisky is filthy peat infested filth. I love Scotch but I've yet to find an Islay that doesn't make me wince in some way. Hope you find a compatriot to join you though.
Duggeh

Postby Aureliano on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:27 am

Managed to to do an awesome week-long Islay-Jura-Colonsay-Oronsay-Oban-Mull-Staffa-Iona-Applecross road trip with a good friend after my own graduation back in '06. Being both whisky lovers, this naturally involved tours and tastings at all of the distilleries along the way. Best weather ever, and good company. Ah, the memories...

That being said, I could also possibly be persuaded to join the fun. Especially if it's in the form of a festival. Must do some more research, penny-counting etc first...

Edit: The Lagavulin 12-yr old cask strength is like sweet nectar from the gods.
Aureliano

Postby Dave25 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:41 pm

Peat infested filth, eh. Little bit harsh don't you think? I find the flavours in the Islay whiskies so deep, complex and ancient, much as with Talisker where one feels one is drinking the Cullins themselves.

This is the Islay festival website:

http://www.feis.streamlinenettrial.co.uk/index.php

There isn't a lot of info on specific dates for each distillery event yet. In terms of money, it makes sense to allow for at least £50 per day since a B&B would be around £25 per night, and a typical Masterclass at a disillery would be about £15. The only issue for me at present is that the exam timetable for May is still not set so I'm hoping I don't have exams on the last possible day or that would screw things up slightly.

I'm in the Quaich society so if anyone else is a member we may know one another already. Feel free to email me at djm62 or http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile

:-)
Dave25

Postby shuffleoff on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:12 am

I would commit myself to this...but it looks Hellishly expensive and potentially insanely commercial. I hate all the touristy add on's.

Ps. What is your favorite Isla malt?
shuffleoff

Postby Dave25 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:20 pm

It's not massively cheap and then of course, you tend to (or at least I did) end up buying the odd bottle. It's become more commercial but not in a KFC way. It is Islay and the whole experience of being there and drinking some bloody good whiskies means that you never feel like you've do after leaving Disneyland.

Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist, Lagavullin 16 and Caol Ila 18. I like the smoke.
Dave25

Return to The Sinner's Main Board