Home

TheSinner.net

pregnancy warnings . . .

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

pregnancy warnings . . .

Postby the Empress on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:35 am

. . . on products. Reading the back of some hand cream (yes, I am the kind of person who reads this stuff) it included the warning: if pregnant always consult your doctor before use. But it's *hand cream*. Why would this possibly be a problem?

Anyone know? Or noticed any other strange forbidden pregnant fruit?
the Empress

Re: pregnancy warnings . . .

Postby Jono on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:55 am

I'd imagine the chemicals that'd cross the placenta. Hormones dear! Don't you watch House? If you use the cream, you'll throw their hormones into haywire-ish mode, and end up giving birth to some kind of hairy pubescent mule-child!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Delts on Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:03 am

I hear LSD should probably be avoided along with crack. I've not seen evidence of this though...
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:04 am

My aunt, who is currently pregnant with her third child, is avoiding all types of pasteurised cheese. Or possibly unpasteurised cheese. Definitely one of the two. This sort of warning comes in stages, though. Next month cheese will be good for you and orange juice will be the bastard foetus-killer.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:22 am

Not seen any pregnancy warnings, but did once see a packet of peanuts with the message: warning, this product may contain nuts. May contain nuts? May? I bloody hope so!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:33 am

Bizarre Atheist wrote:Or possibly unpasteurised cheese.

Not so daft. Lots of infections e.g. brucella, TB can be spread through unpasteurised cheese - in particular listeria, which can cause a nasty meningitis in the newborn.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Fawksie on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:09 pm

RandomMusings wrote:Not seen any pregnancy warnings, but did once see a packet of peanuts with the message: warning, this product may contain nuts. May contain nuts? May? I bloody hope so!

It's been said so many times before, but this is the Sinner and so it will be said again: peanuts aren't nuts.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Abserdman on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Peanuts aren't nuts! They are technically legumes. So people who say they have a "nut allergy" when they are allergic to peanuts are lying.
Abserdman

Postby RandomMusings on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:18 pm

I meant nuts in the cullinary sense rather than the botanic sense, but yes - well picked up on for my not making it clear!

Anyway, if a bag of peanuts did not contain nuts, it would just be a bag of peas :P
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby ct3012 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 pm

I had a whole booklet of pregnancy warnings that I had to learn for my higher Health and Food Technology at school (a.k.a. glorified home economics). It really put the fear of vitamin A into me... which will make the foetus sprout a third arm/have other general birth defects/give it liver problems if you consume too much, so avoid liver and don't eat too much red meat. And nuts.
And if you don't eat enough foods with folic acid, the baby will get spina bifida and die. And if you don't eat enough calcium your baby will steal all of yours and you will die. And if you don't eat enough iron everyone will get anaemia and die.

It makes you wonder why people put up with being pregnant at all o_O
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Postby novium on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:24 am

everything about the human reproductive cycle makes me wonder how the human race continues to exist.
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Postby Lid on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 am

Dave the Explosive Newt wrote:in particular listeria, which can cause a nasty meningitis in the newborn.

As opposed to good meningitis?
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby Duggeh on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:51 am

I had good meningitis after I had good hep A.
Duggeh

Postby the Empress on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:02 am

novium wrote:everything about the human reproductive cycle makes me wonder how the human race continues to exist.

. . . . storks?
the Empress

Postby Duggeh on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:27 am

You don't want to try sex with Storks, thats how I got the bad Hep A.
Duggeh

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:51 am

Storks don't get Hep A. It must have been something dressed as a stork!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Haunted on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:20 am

Someone poke a hole in my idea.

Remove ovaries at birth, freeze eggs, insert hormone releasing implant. Problem solved?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:56 pm

Mechanical failure, fire, or disaster could leave hundreds of thousands of people without the ability to give birth in a matter of hours.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Haunted on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am

There's an old phrase about the danger of keeping all your eggs in the same place.
Distribute them to cyrogenic storage around the nation.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby 2jays on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Anyone seen the pregnant 15 year old chav on the back of Newcastle Brown Ale? They know the market.
2jays

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board