Home

TheSinner.net

Does anyone use the running machines at the sports centre?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Does anyone use the running machines at the sports centre?

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:30 pm

I've just started running to compliment my swimming. I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in a set time. I know this equates to 2.4 km. I went to use the machines on Monday and I set up the machine to run the distance in the set time. The trouble is, the machine says min per (mi/km), which I assume means miles or kms, but there doesn't seem to be a sign to show you which one it is currently being displayed. There also doesn't seem to be an option to change between one or the other distances. I assumed it was kms, but when I set up the machine to run 2.4 km it was a lot faster than I expected it to be. So I wonder if it was perhaps 2.4 miles, or maybe I've just lost my ability to run fast?

So, my question is, can the machines do both miles and km's? If so, how do I know which one is currently being shown and how do I change between them? If not, then which one of (mi/km) gets displayed?

P.S. Does anyone know how long the East Sands pool is? I thought it was 25m, but having used a 25m pool in edinburgh over Christmas now I am not so sure.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re: Does anyone use the running machines at the sports centre?

Postby Cain on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

munchingfoo wrote:P.S. Does anyone know how long the East Sands pool is? I thought it was 25m, but having used a 25m pool in edinburgh over Christmas now I am not so sure.

Maybe the pool is 25m, but you've grown recently.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 pm

1.5 miles is a very short distance, what time do you have to run it in? And why the time limit, out of idle curiosity?

If you're serious about running I would avoid the treadmill like the plague - there are plenty of interesting and stunning places to run in St Andrews. I'd recommend www.mapmyrun.co.uk to measure your distances.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:09 pm

It's the Navy Officer's medical entry standard. 1.5 miles in 12.3 minutes or something like that. Pretty easy really. I think the TA one was 9min 30sec when I first joined. I'm running on the treadmill for three reasons. The first is, the 1.5 mile test takes place on a treadmill. Second, I very easily get shin splints and the treadmill is very low impact. The third, I don't want to start running seriously, I just want to ensure I can pass the test.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby orudge on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:22 pm

munchingfoo wrote:P.S. Does anyone know how long the East Sands pool is? I thought it was 25m, but having used a 25m pool in edinburgh over Christmas now I am not so sure.

I'm almost certain it's not a 25m pool, although I haven't been there for a while. I would have thought it was maybe 15m at the most, possibly 20m. The pool at Cupar Sports Centre pool is 25m.
orudge
Administrator

Postby ex east sands lifeguard on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:59 pm

It's definitly a 25m pool. I used to work there.

It's a short width, only about 12m if I remember correctly. That can make it seem smaller.
ex east sands lifeguard

Postby eagle on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:00 pm

If other pools are wider than 12m, then I'd say the 12m width ACTUALLY makes the pool smaller.

No idea about the running machine though Foo, but the pool is definitely 25m long.
eagle

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:16 pm

Sweet, that means I actually do swim 1km every day. Go me.
munchingfoo

Postby eagle on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Does it cost a lot to swim everyday? Is the Fifestyle card (if that's what they still call it) worth it?
eagle

Return to The Sinner's Main Board