Home

TheSinner.net

Favourite Photos

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Favourite Photos

Postby eagle on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:24 am

I've been looking at the BBC's "Day in Pictures", and it got me thinking - what's your favourite photo?
Could be a documentary photo, something iconic from the news, or maybe it's a personal photo of you or friends.

A lot of James Nachtwey's work is very moving, but I'd be hard pushed to state that any of his are my favourites. It's a similar case with the burning monk, and the napalm girl. Hard hitting photos, but are they favourites?
eagle

Re: Favourite Photos

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:05 pm

I think this type of thread has happened before, showing a host of very powerful photos. I like this one, called the "Pale Blue Dot":

The tiny blue spec in the band of light on the right is Earth as seen from about 3.7 billion miles away on the Voyager One spacecraft. It helps to remind me of both humanity's insignificance and achievements.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Frank on Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:33 am

It's not the exact one, but I think it's pretty close:

Frank

Postby Hennessy on Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:13 pm

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby ojk6 on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:31 pm

ojk6

Postby Freaker on Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:54 pm

June 17, 1983 - the first test of the 'Peacekeeper' missile in the Marshall Islands. Those warheads have all come from the same Peacekeeper missile, breaking off just before re-entering the atmosphere. The Peacekeeper could carry up to 10 independent nuclear warheads, each about twenty times the firepower of the Hiroshima bomb - and each hitting an independent target in the same area. That something so worrying and deadly could look so beautiful...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Freaker wrote:Image

I'd call that one "Angels with Sniper Rifles"

ojk6 wrote:Image

What's going on there?
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Lid on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Power_Metal_Dom wrote:
ojk6 wrote:Image

What's going on there?

It's Pope John Paul II meeting Mehmet Ali Agca, the guy who carried out an assassination attempt on him, in prison, after he'd forgiven him.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby starsandsparkles on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Lid wrote:
It's Pope John Paul II meeting Mehmet Ali Agca, the guy who carried out an assassination attempt on him, in prison, after he'd forgiven him.

It also looks like the way a priest would hear a face-to-face confession.

I've never seen that photo before. Thanks ojk6 :)
starsandsparkles

Postby ojk6 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:
Lid wrote:It also looks like the way a priest would hear a face-to-face confession.

That was hinted at by the Pope when he spoke with the press afterwards, saying "What we talked about will have to remain a secret between him and me. I spoke to him as a brother whom I have pardoned and who has my complete trust."
ojk6

Return to The Sinner's Main Board