Home

TheSinner.net

There's probably no God

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: There's probably no God

Postby Haunted on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:57 pm

elyettoner wrote:The whole thing about the Christian Union living it up in Heaven also seems a bit unfair. Salvation is offered to everyone, no one is excluded, but that has to be accepted. It's as though you've fallen off a cliff and are hanging from a bush like something from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, then someone reaches down to pull you back up. You've got to choose to take the hand, if you don't you really can't complain when you fall. It was offered to you/

Tempting analogy, but it is false. Gravity is responsible for falling, god is responsible for casting people into hellfire. Gravity is not an intelligent 'loving' force and so cannot be accused of acting immorally, whereas god is and can.

Re. saying you believe in Jesus before you die - the Bible says if you truly repent and accept Jesus as Saviour, than yes, that is the case. But just saying those words doesn't make it so

All Winston had to do was accept in his heart that two plus two always makes five.

Darwin may well have said that nobody should want to believe in Christianity, but I can see this only from a non-Christian perspective. Christians quite obviously look at it a different way. I might not wish to believe that people are dying from hunger or killed in wars around the world, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I might not want to believe that my country has done terrible things in the past, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I might not want to believe that terrible things have been done in God's name in the past, but that doesn't mean it's not true. To base your beliefs on what you want to believe is a ridiculous thing to do.

The objection Darwin making was to those atheists who "wished" that christianity was true. The point is, that if it is true, it's repugnant. From the analogies you made it appears you agree as such.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Haunted on Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Last post, but this is pretty awesome
Generate you're own slogan
http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/

http://ruletheweb.co.uk/b3ta/bus/?s1=At ... fun+begins
Haunted

Postby elyettoner on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:44 pm

I'm not about to make multiple posts replying in detail to Haunted's statements nor take up lots of space and time debating these things. I'll respond to the points briefly in the order they are made.

1. Most Western Atheists probably worry about money, popularity, etc. Christians don't need to worry about those things (which doesn't mean they we don't - we're not perfect). You may not worry about Hell, but I'll bet you still worry about an awful lot of things. To be honest, I'm not sure Christians spend much time thinking about Hell.

2. It doesn't make me sad because it's immoral, it makes me sad because I care for those people. I don't believe it is immoral. It doesn't matter how good a person is, nobody is perfect and cannot thus approach a holy God. It doesn't matter whether your white shirt is covered in mud or just has a small stain on the front, you wouldn't wear it to graduation either way because it's blemished. If we're bad, we deserve to be punished. You'd probably be pretty annoyed if a mass murderer got away with his crimes. God saves us when we accept that hand and accept responsibility for what we've done.

3. I didn't say Christians aren't interested in debates, I said they don't spread their message to win debates. Christians quite clearly do take part in debates; look at Alasdair MacGrath, David Robertson (who, incidentally, will be giving some talks here in a few weeks time), William Lane Craig... There are plenty of Christians who are very interested in debates.

4. Firstly, I said that if many of the Biblical instructions would make for a better world. Very few people are happy about following that particular commandment and I'm not sure anyone on the planet succeeds in following it.

5. I'd disagree. We do wrong, there are consequences for doing wrong. We walk off the edge of a cliff, we suffer the consequences of our stupidity/absent mindedness.

6. There is plenty of evidence supporting Christianity's claims, perhaps you should listen to some of those Christian debaters. The evidence might not amount to proof, but it's untrue that belief in God is unreasonable. Throughout the New Testament both Paul and Jesus provide arguments and evidence for their message; nowhere in the Bible is anyone supposed to "just believe" unreasonably. Now I'm not saying we should base our belief on the evidence presented by Jesus - we can't see the people he healed, for example - but I am saying that it's not a case of forcing yourself to believe things that aren't true. Don't try and tell me that someone like Francis Collins, the head of the Human Genome Project, forced himself to believe against all reason that Christianity was true while doing his post-doc.

7. As I've made clear, I do not believe in the slightest that Christian belief is repugnant. However, some of the misinterpretations of Christian belief, often used by Atheists to support their arguments, are.
elyettoner

Postby Haunted on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:11 pm

elyettoner wrote:1. Most Western Atheists probably worry about money, popularity, etc.

Change this to "most humans".
To be honest, I'm not sure Christians spend much time thinking about Hell.
Which is probably why they are still christian.
It doesn't make me sad because it's immoral, it makes me sad because I care for those people. I don't believe it is immoral.
If this is a perfectly moral things to do then why be sad? Like you said, it is a good thing that those people are being tortured.
You'd probably be pretty annoyed if a mass murderer got away with his crimes.

But all they have to do is believe in Jesus and they do get away with it! You think that's justice?
God saves us when we accept that hand and accept responsibility for what we've done.

God is the one throwing you into hellfire unless you accept his ultimatum. Let me make another analogy. Someone has a gun at your head, he will pull the trigger unless you surrender your existence to him and praise his name for all eternity. Is it still our own fault if we refuse? Better to die free than live in an Orwellian nightmare no?
I didn't say Christians aren't interested in debates, I said they don't spread their message to win debates. Christians quite clearly do take part in debates; look at Alasdair MacGrath, David Robertson (who, incidentally, will be giving some talks here in a few weeks time), William Lane Craig... There are plenty of Christians who are very interested in debates.
Yes there are, but please don't list those ones, they are some of the worst apologists I've ever had the misfortune of reading (especially Dave "wee flea" Robertson). Seriously, it would do you credit list people more like Ken Miller or George Coyne.
Firstly, I said that if many of the Biblical instructions would make for a better world. Very few people are happy about following that particular commandment and I'm not sure anyone on the planet succeeds in following it.
You'd think an omnipotent god would've thought of that, or was it part of the plan to make people miserable?
I'd disagree. We do wrong, there are consequences for doing wrong. We walk off the edge of a cliff, we suffer the consequences of our stupidity/absent mindedness.
A man shoots a woman because she wouldn't surrender herself to him, do we blame the woman for her stupidity?

There is plenty of evidence supporting Christianity's claims, perhaps you should listen to some of those Christian debaters.
I am rather versed in the apologists and their arguments. However, the good ones freely admit there is no evidence, personal revelation is the winner at the end of the day (though, when you point out the existence of hallucinations they are reduced to arguments from personal incredulity).
The evidence might not amount to proof, but it's untrue that belief in God is unreasonable.

Just as belief is the flying spaghetti monster is unreasonable.
Throughout the New Testament both Paul and Jesus provide arguments and evidence for their message; nowhere in the Bible is anyone supposed to "just believe" unreasonably. Now I'm not saying we should base our belief on the evidence presented by Jesus - we can't see the people he healed, for example - but I am saying that it's not a case of forcing yourself to believe things that aren't true.

Jesus didn't present anything, at best he was quoted. Even then, most historians now know the gospels were written decades after he supposedly died and authored by non-eyewitnesses. It would be like you writing an anthology of world war one without any source material except hear say from maybe a dozen old people.
Don't try and tell me that someone like Francis Collins, the head of the Human Genome Project, forced himself to believe against all reason that Christianity was true while doing his post-doc
A common argument from authority. I am well aware that many eminent scientists are theists (about 3% of the U.S. National Academy of Scientists claim to be). And I would be hard pressed to argue that such people are 'forcing' themselves against all reason to believe as such. There is a reason the word "delusion" is used.
As I've made clear, I do not believe in the slightest that Christian belief is repugnant. However, some of the misinterpretations of Christian belief, often used by Atheists to support their arguments, are.

What would make it clear to me, and I will drop such accusations if you humour me, is this. Say to me that eternal torture for good people is not just acceptable, but moral, good and that it would be wrong to have it any other way. Say that you are glad we live in a universe where innocent people will suffer for eternity, say that you would not have it any other way.
Haunted

Postby Senethro on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:51 pm

your god is being a cunt and has you all stockholms syndrome on him
Senethro

Postby Anon. on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:54 pm

elyettoner wrote:It's as though you've fallen off a cliff and are hanging from a bush like something from a Bugs Bunny cartoon, then someone reaches down to pull you back up. You've got to choose to take the hand, if you don't you really can't complain when you fall. It was offered to you.

But you haven't "fallen" off the cliff. God threw you off at birth, just so He would have the pleasure of rescuing those who admitted He was the greatest.
Anon.

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:16 am

Senethro wrote:your god is being a cunt and has you all stockholms syndrome on him

That made me smile. Not very eloquent, but funny nonetheless.

As for the whole bus thing... isn't it just bloody typical that some Christians feel the need to try and negate and/or hijack a secular and/or non-Christian viewpoint?

There's a facinating museum in Cornwall. Boscastle(sp?)... scene of the famous flash flood a few years back. It is a museum dedicated to what is collectively known as witchcraft; a largely-pagan belief system/practice which provided the seeds for the modern caricature of a witch. Familiars, broomsticks... et al. It is an interesting collection of artifacts and articles of (mostly) Cornish folklore.

No more than fifty yards away, some zealot has opened a Christian shop selling everything you'd expect from such an establishment.

If a Wiccan shop was opened next door to every church in the country, do you think they might pay more attention to the whole "do unto others" thing?

To pick up on the point made by the poster, lamenting about the whole world not being Christian... which flavour of Christianity would you suggest? Your own? If Christianity is such a unifying force for good, why has it undergone so many schisms since its conception?

There was a time when the Western world was dominated by Christian theology. It was known as the Dark Ages.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby elyettoner on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:01 am

Haunted wrote:
It doesn't make me sad because it's immoral, it makes me sad because I care for those people. I don't believe it is immoral.
If this is a perfectly moral things to do then why be sad? Like you said, it is a good thing that those people are being tortured.

Don't be stupid. Do you think a mother isn't sad because her murdering son's been locked away?

Haunted wrote:
You'd probably be pretty annoyed if a mass murderer got away with his crimes.

But all they have to do is believe in Jesus and they do get away with it! You think that's justice?

Actually, to an extent yes. If someone is truly sorry for what they've done I believe they should get a second chance. I'm sure you've had plenty of second, third, fourth and fifth chances in your life.

God saves us when we accept that hand and accept responsibility for what we've done.

God is the one throwing you into hellfire unless you accept his ultimatum. Let me make another analogy. Someone has a gun at your head, he will pull the trigger unless you surrender your existence to him and praise his name for all eternity. Is it still our own fault if we refuse? Better to die free than live in an Orwellian nightmare no?

I don't accept that analogy and I'm pretty sure no Christian would. According to Christian doctrine the world was originally perfect, we cocked it up and got ourselves in this mess. God's not the one holding the gun.

Firstly, I said that if many of the Biblical instructions would make for a better world. Very few people are happy about following that particular commandment and I'm not sure anyone on the planet succeeds in following it.
You'd think an omnipotent god would've thought of that, or was it part of the plan to make people miserable?

Not all rules are intended to make the world a better place, some are to set the correct order of things with God at the top. Incidentally, Muslims do believe that God is great and that there are no other gods before him.

I am rather versed in the apologists and their arguments. However, the good ones freely admit there is no evidence, personal revelation is the winner at the end of the day (though, when you point out the existence of hallucinations they are reduced to arguments from personal incredulity).
The evidence might not amount to proof, but it's untrue that belief in God is unreasonable.

Just as belief is the flying spaghetti monster is unreasonable.

You think that millions of people suffer the same hallucinations? Just because you choose not to accept the evidence or to interpret it in a different way doesn't mean it's not there.

Jesus didn't present anything, at best he was quoted. Even then, most historians now know the gospels were written decades after he supposedly died and authored by non-eyewitnesses. It would be like you writing an anthology of world war one without any source material except hear say from maybe a dozen old people.

Yes, the gospels were written decades after Jesus died, but in a culture that was mainly oral what do you expect? The culture of telling stories and news verbally meant that people then were much better at remembering things than we are today. Most historians do not accept that the gospels were written by eyewitness. It is generally thought that Matthew, Mark and John were eyewitnesses. Luke was not eyewitness, but an historian writing basing his events on eyewitness accounts (much like many of the Mediaeval chronicles which are used by historians today). Given that they were all written separately, at different times and at different places the common material between them is incredible. I might add that Paul's letters were written much earlier than the gospels and include much evidence of what was believed about him at the time.

A common argument from authority. I am well aware that many eminent scientists are theists (about 3% of the U.S. National Academy of Scientists claim to be). And I would be hard pressed to argue that such people are 'forcing' themselves against all reason to believe as such. There is a reason the word "delusion" is used.

Please don't start with that pathetic argument. You could claim anything is a delusion and win any debate that way. I could say that the computer screen in front of you is a delusion.

What would make it clear to me, and I will drop such accusations if you humour me, is this. Say to me that eternal torture for good people is not just acceptable, but moral, good and that it would be wrong to have it any other way. Say that you are glad we live in a universe where innocent people will suffer for eternity, say that you would not have it any other way.

You're premise is wrong and I've told you so before. There are no good people. You've got one stain, the shirt's dirty.

Senethro, is an insult all you can bring to a reasonable debate?

Redcelt69, I agree with you. No idea why Christians felt the need to respond with pathetic posters. As for the "brands" of Christianity, all those who believe in the Bible as the principal authority (that is, not JWs, Mormons, some Catholics) share the same essential doctrines. Other disagreements (female bishops, sitting/kneeling for Communion, singing psalms only, wearing hats in church etc) are sideline issues.

Did Christianity dominate in the "Dark Ages" or did a corrupt Church?
elyettoner

Postby Humphrey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 am

RedCelt69 wrote:There was a time when the Western world was dominated by Christian theology. It was known as the Dark Ages.

The Stockholm Syndrome quote was hilarious. Leaving aside the doctrine of eternal punishment, which I think is indefensible but good luck, I think I have to address this myth of the ‘Christian Dark Ages’.

The reason we use the term 'dark ages’ originates from the comparative lack of the written sources in the period (Actually, in France we have Geoffrey of Tours' History of the Franks and in England there is Bede’s History of the English Church). In fact, much of the Dark Ages is much better documented than the second and third centuries AD about which we know nothing.

Much knowledge was lost, essentially because the Roman Empire was overrun by waves of illiterate barbarian invaders and all acquaintance with the ancient Greek language fell by the wayside. It took centuries to rebuild in Western Europe; society, the economy and an intellectual culture capable of absorbing and building upon the writings of Islamic and Greek natural philosophers had to be built from the ground up. The church was an important part in the process, not least by the preservation of ancient manuscripts.

If you read something like Lynn White's Medieval Technology and Social Change you’ll find that the early Middle Ages, especially from 700AD onwards, were actually a period of rapid change. In war, the stirrup revolutionised the horse in battle and the need for these mounted knights ushered in the feudal system. Meanwhile agriculture became at least twice as productive as it had been under the Romans as the heavy plough, horse collar, horse shoe and three field rotation each improved yield. A lot of these were eastern inventions but the Europeans developed them to an unparalleled degree. The result was a population explosion and the bringing in of most European wilderness under the plough. To process all this extra grain technology again came in to play with a rapid spread of the watermill, tidal mill and finally windmill. In terms of development, Europe in 1000AD was streets ahead of ancient Rome and by 1350 we had moved ahead of the ancient Greeks in natural philosophy.
Humphrey

Postby Humphrey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:15 am

elyettoner wrote:I don't accept that analogy and I'm pretty sure no Christian would. According to Christian doctrine the world was originally perfect, we cocked it up and got ourselves in this mess. God's not the one holding the gun.

Not to pick on you or anything but I think this doctrine has a fairly serious flaw in it; namely that evidence from the fossil record and our evolutionary heritage shows that the fall account of Genesis is either false or purely allegorical. Death and suffering pre-date the coming into being of Homo Sapiens, in fact death, suffering and evil appear to be integral to the natural order; they are a necessary part of creation. It is certainly our fault when we fail to make the correct choice between good and evil (except in cases of diminished responsibility) yet to hold a position whereby all of humanity is intrinsically tainted with 'original sin' because we ate the apple seems a bit outdated.
Last edited by Humphrey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humphrey

Postby Haunted on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 am

elyettoner wrote:Don't be stupid. Do you think a mother isn't sad because her murdering son's been locked away?

This is a fair point. However, can you say that the sadness is because the son is being punished or because he committed murder in the first place? Would a mother really challenge justice if it was fair? I would argue not. If the son was murdered for not worshipping a certain deity, with whom do you think the mother would be angry with then?
To an extent yes. If someone is truly sorry for what they've done I believe they should get a second chance. I'm sure you've had plenty of second, third, fourth and fifth chances in your life.

You put it to me that I should feel cheated were a murderer to get away with it but here you claim that they do and it's ok? I would not expect a second chance for first degree murder, that is not justice.
I don't accept that analogy and I'm pretty sure no Christian would. According to Christian doctrine the world was originally perfect, we cocked it up and got ourselves in this mess. God's not the one holding the gun.

Much as the rest of us don't accept you're falling analogy. The difference is, I demonstrated why your one was false, you haven't done the same because God is still the one doing the casting, he is actively sending people there.
Not all rules are intended to make the world a better place, some are to set the correct order of things with God at the top. Incidentally, Muslims do believe that God is great and that there are no other gods before him.

Begging your pardon but rules are there to make the world a better place (in principle at least). A rule that doesn't benefit anyone is worthless. Incidentally, the point I was getting at is that Muslims do not believe Jesus was a deity, they have another god before him, and therefore are violating your second commandment. Even if you want to argue that Muslims and Christians worship the same god it doesn't matter just insert name of religious group that doesn't worship your god to get the same point I was making.
You think that millions of people suffer the same hallucinations?

Like I said, reduced to arguments from personal incredulity.
Just because you choose not to accept the evidence or to interpret it in a different way doesn't mean it's not there.

Oh I do weight the evidence that people have hallucinations or delusions about the supernatural to count. The plausible mechanism here is that such supernatural phenomena are real and interact only through our fragile minds. I just don't weight this evidence very much. I'm sure the nut down at the local institution is perfectly sure he is Napoleon and his claim must be counted as evidence, whether or not his claim is enough to convince you is what's interesting.
Yes, the gospels were written decades after Jesus died, but in a culture that was mainly oral what do you expect?

The written word had been around for thousands of years by then, you'd of thought that a contemporary writer at the time in the area would've made a note or something like "Dear Diary, all of the dead rose today and walked around a wee bit after the romans executed that jew I've heard so much about, it was a bit wierd and definitely worth writing about".
The culture of telling stories and news verbally meant that people then were much better at remembering things than we are today.

You're clutching at straws here.
It is generally thought that Matthew, Mark and John were eyewitnesses. Luke was not eyewitness, but an historian writing basing his events on eyewitness accounts (much like many of the Mediaeval chronicles which are used by historians today).

Mark was not a disciple and not an eyewitness to any of the events. It is generally believed that Mark was an interpreter of the disciple Peter. The earliest date for his gospel is widely believed to be around ca. 70.
Luke plagiarised heavily from Mark (and The "Q" document). There is no evidence of usage of Luke before ca. 150 but the consensus appears to place authorship around ca. 90-100. Luke was not a disciple and not an eyewitness.
The gospel of Matthew was originally thought to be authored by the disciple Matthew. However, this view has been overwhelmingly overturned since the 18th century. The author was probably a gentile living in a town with a church founded by the disciple. The author, like Luke, also plagiarises heavily from Mark. Date is between ca. 70 and 100.
John is undoubtably the last gospel to be written (between ca. 90-150). The author was not John the disiciple and thus not an eyewitness i.e. not one of the gospels was written by an eyewitness and all were written, at the very least, 40 years after the events supposedly took place.
Given that they were all written separately, at different times and at different places the common material between them is incredible.

It's called plagiarism. Though I would hold the word of god up to a higher standard than that of man and would expect them all to be exactly the same. Why do we need four different accounts of events anyway? Wouldn't one, truthful version be the order of the day for god's word?
I might add that Paul's letters were written much earlier than the gospels and include much evidence of what was believed about him at the time.

Another non-eyewitness, who didn't write very much about Christ but more about what christians ought to believe.
Please don't start with that pathetic argument. You could claim anything is a delusion and win any debate that way. I could say that the computer screen in front of you is a delusion.
I just said I wouldn't argue because it is a hard case to make. You are free to say many things are a delusion and you are free to test as many.
You're premise is wrong and I've told you so before. There are no good people. You've got one stain, the shirt's dirty.
Thank you this clears it up.
Haunted

Postby Senethro on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:18 pm

elyettoner wrote: Senethro, is an insult all you can bring to a reasonable debate?

Whenever I employ humour (with admittedly a very wide range of success) people always respond as if any point made can be safely ignored.
Senethro

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Humphrey wrote:The reason we use the term 'dark ages’ originates from...

Damn. I knew I should have popped down the bookies to lay a bet that you would pick up on that one. ^.^

Whilst I don't disagree with what you said, it was a very Dark Age to be anything other than Christian.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Humphrey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:47 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Whilst I don't disagree with what you said, it was a very Dark Age to be anything other than Christian.

Ha, well; I'm not going to disagree with that one. After all Charlemagne's method of converting the Saxons was simply to threaten them with the death penalty and behead all those guilty of non-Christian practices of whatever sort. Of course, secular power has always sought the stamp of divine authority, so making sure your subjects all worship the same God (or range of Gods) was best practice in those days. 'Convert or die' would make a nice and effective bus advert.
Humphrey

Postby elyettoner on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Haunted wrote:This is a fair point. However, can you say that the sadness is because the son is being punished or because he committed murder in the first place? Would a mother really challenge justice if it was fair? I would argue not. If the son was murdered for not worshipping a certain deity, with whom do you think the mother would be angry with then?

I would suggest the mother would be sad for both reasons, but not being a mother I couldn't be sure.

You put it to me that I should feel cheated were a murderer to get away with it but here you claim that they do and it's ok? I would not expect a second chance for first degree murder, that is not justice.

Fair point, but then I'm coming from the perspective that if you hate someone you're committing murder in your heart. People cock up, sometimes majorly. I once met a chap who'd done something pretty bad (he never told me what) and had fled his home country (Germany) to escape the law. When he became a Christian he was truly sorry for what he'd done, returned to Germany, served his time and now he tries to put back what he took from the community and is a pretty nice guy. Should he be denied that second chance? Maybe you think he shouldn't and that's fair enough, but I think he should. A couple of years back a guy spoke at Solid Rock who'd killed someone when he was part of a gang. He did the time, became a Christian in prison and now works to get kids out of gangs. He did wrong because of he was misled and lacked guidance from his parents (so he said). Should he have been denied a second chance? I think not, but again you may disagree. I strongly believe because of meeting these two people that if someone recognises their wrongs and is truly sorry for them they deserve a second chance. We all cock up, just some more than others.

Much as the rest of us don't accept you're falling analogy. The difference is, I demonstrated why your one was false, you haven't done the same because God is still the one doing the casting, he is actively sending people there.

I'm going to abandon analogies because I'm obviously not very good at them! God acts as the judge; he chucks everyone into Hell because we're wrong and deserve it, but we're the ones who have done the wrong. So in a sense, I suppose God is the one pulling the trigger, but only in the way that a firing squad shooting a criminal does. Romans says that the law (ie the rules of the OT) condemn but that Jesus fulfilled the law, so that by trusting in his grace the law doesn't affect us. He allows us not to be chucked into hell. Err... that's a rubbish explanation, maybe I should go back to analogies.

To be honest, this one took me a long time to get my head around when I was on the way to becoming a Christian, so I understand why so many people have this hang up. There's an interesting explanation in the second chapter (I think) of Tim Keller's The Reason for God which is quite helpful. Unfortunately I've leant the book to someone so can't summarise it for you, but it might be worth reading for a much more coherent explanation than I can give.

Begging your pardon but rules are there to make the world a better place (in principle at least). A rule that doesn't benefit anyone is worthless. Incidentally, the point I was getting at is that Muslims do not believe Jesus was a deity, they have another god before him, and therefore are violating your second commandment. Even if you want to argue that Muslims and Christians worship the same god it doesn't matter just insert name of religious group that doesn't worship your god to get the same point I was making.

Sorry, I meant to put not all the rules (ie of the Bible). Not all of those rules are intended to make the world a better place, but a lot of them are (whereas others, such as not eating shellfish, I don't get at all: perhaps it was something to do with health? Who knows. - thankfully Jesus' fulfilment of the law means that doesn't count today). Very few of the rules makes make individuals happy - we're all selfish people and loving our neighbour as ourselves isn't something we like to do. With regard to the Muslims, I was just playing Devil's advocate (if you'll pardon the unfortunate phrase).

Like I said, reduced to arguments from personal incredulity.

You brought up hallucinations, not me. It just seems a pretty poor argument.

Oh I do weight the evidence that people have hallucinations or delusions about the supernatural to count. The plausible mechanism here is that such supernatural phenomena are real and interact only through our fragile minds. I just don't weight this evidence very much. I'm sure the nut down at the local institution is perfectly sure he is Napoleon and his claim must be counted as evidence, whether or not his claim is enough to convince you is what's interesting.

The temptation not to respond to such a pathetic argument is strong. The nut down at the local institution isn't running hospitals, carrying out scientific experiments, teaching children, keeping the books and all the other things Christians worldwide are doing. And I doubt he's ever been in a room with a lot of other people who also think they're Napoleon.

The written word had been around for thousands of years by then, you'd of thought that a contemporary writer at the time in the area would've made a note or something like "Dear Diary, all of the dead rose today and walked around a wee bit after the romans executed that jew I've heard so much about, it was a bit wierd and definitely worth writing about".

The written word had obviously been around a long time, but 1st Century Palestine was not a society where writing was common. Look at normal lay people in early Mediaeval England - the written word had been around, but they didn't write either. There are a couple of possible reasons why there are few other sources for Jesus' life (and there are other limited sources, as I'm sure you know). The Romans are unlikely to have wanted to keep records of Jesus - he was executed illegally and Jerusalem was only a small town in a big empire, so news of it is unlikely to have reached Rome. The destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD destroyed most (all?) records kept in the town, so it's possible that other records were made. Incidentally, we only have four sources which tell us about Socrates - fewer than for Jesus - and not all of these were written by people who knew him directly, but do you believe in him?

You're clutching at straws here.

Read the books on communication in 1st Century Palestine.

Mark was not a disciple and not an eyewitness to any of the events. It is generally believed that Mark was an interpreter of the disciple Peter. The earliest date for his gospel is widely believed to be around ca. 70.
Luke plagiarised heavily from Mark (and The "Q" document). There is no evidence of usage of Luke before ca. 150 but the consensus appears to place authorship around ca. 90-100. Luke was not a disciple and not an eyewitness.
The gospel of Matthew was originally thought to be authored by the disciple Matthew. However, this view has been overwhelmingly overturned since the 18th century. The author was probably a gentile living in a town with a church founded by the disciple. The author, like Luke, also plagiarises heavily from Mark. Date is between ca. 70 and 100.
John is undoubtably the last gospel to be written (between ca. 90-150). The author was not John the disiciple and thus not an eyewitness i.e. not one of the gospels was written by an eyewitness and all were written, at the very least, 40 years after the events supposedly took place.

Mark wasn't a disciple, but is thought to have been present at Jesus' arrest. Peter was thought to have been his main source, and he was an eyewitness. Most of the historical documents we rely on for pre-modern history are written in this way, as are the biographies of many people today. Rejecting sources because they're not eyewitnesses leaves you doubting a great deal of history. Modern scholarship tends to place Mark's gospel around 60AD, though others do admit 70AD. But this is still a time when people who knew him and may have been present at his crucifixion were alive. Luke is the same writer as Acts and he was present at many of the events in this book, which was written after the gospel. No serious modern scholarship places his gospel as late as 90AD, I'd be interested to know where you found that date. Matthew was quite clearly writing for a Jewish audience and is very well acquainted with Jewish customs, again no modern scholarship that I know of believes him to have been a Gentile. I think I may have been mistaken regarding John's identity, I don't have my notes here but I seem to remember he's generally dated to 90AD at the latest in modern scholarship, though I may be wrong on that one, which would be too late to be the disciple, you're right.

It's called plagiarism. Though I would hold the word of god up to a higher standard than that of man and would expect them all to be exactly the same. Why do we need four different accounts of events anyway? Wouldn't one, truthful version be the order of the day for god's word?

But the different gospel writers probably never saw each other's version of events, so plagarism from each other's works is highly unlikely. Remember the different versions were written for different audiences and collated later into one book.

Another non-eyewitness, who didn't write very much about Christ but more about what christians ought to believe.

Christ is at the very centre of all Paul's teaching. Read Romans - he's there and plays a fundamental role. Read Colossians and you can't escape Christ. Paul was writing in response to specific problems in specific churches, so he obviously deals with these issues, but Christ is referred to in every single one of his letters and plays a fundamental role in most of them. True, Paul wasn't an eyewitness of Christ (not counting the road to Damascus) but his accounts were written before the gospels and include information regarding belief about Jesus before the gospels were written, including what are thought to be early creeds and hymns from the first few years after Jesus' death. He is thus a very useful source which indicates that the beginnings of a church had formed within a decade of the crucifixion and resurrection, at a time when the events were fresh in people's minds.
elyettoner

Postby RedCelt69 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm

By-passing the whole is-the-Jesus-story-true "debate" and returning to the orginal post which started the thread (for those who have the stamina to still be following it)...

The probablity of the existence of the Abrahamic god hovers somewhere around the value of nil. Yahweh and all that derive from Yahweh are a mish-mash of "borrowed" belief-systems that predate the Semitic god's conception.

An evolving consciousness has an awful lot of "why?" questions to ask about the environment within which it evolves. Animals don't have gods, yet our own early ancestors did. But did their ancestors? There's no evidence that they did because...well, because they didn't leave a material culture which would indicate such things as a belief-in-a-higher-being. Hence my suggestion that the blurry line between human animals and non-human animals is where the god concept first springs from.

What an evolving mind lacks is an evolving science to answer the "why?" questions. To borrow an oft-used phrase, there is a god-shaped hole which needs to be filled. As science has progressed, this god-shaped hole as repeatedly shrunk to next-to-nothing until the creator god has domain over nothing but what will happen to our souls when we die.

Which is where the whole god concept falls flat on its face. Whether there is or is not a creator god (which requires or is deserving of worship) becomes completely moot without the existence of a soul. Which is exactly where we find ourselves; without the existence of a soul.

Prove to me that such a thing exists and I'll pay more attention to the shopping list of available deities which demand my devotion. Judaism, Christianity and Islam are already crossed off the list, btw. I can't possibly take their god seriously. With the whole universe to play with, he finds that what vexes him most is what orifice I choose to put my penis into. Yeah. Thanks, but no thanks.

Having chosen a religion (for Pascal's Wager insists that I must) I'll then address the question of who/what created the creator god. We either have a universe which came into existence... because it could. Or we have a universe which was created by a sentient being... a being which came into existence... because it could (or there are an infinite number of creators, creating each other). Saying that there is a creator god doesn't solve anything... it just adds an extra level of implausability. On this, I evoke Occam's Razor.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Haunted on Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:27 pm

elyettoner wrote:Fair point, but then I'm coming from the perspective that if you hate someone you're committing murder in your heart.

"Thought crime does not entail death, thought crime is death." The idea that having thoughts is somehow a crime is morally despicable and I hope it's a doctrine I shall never subscribe to.
People cock up, sometimes majorly. I once met a chap who'd done something pretty bad (he never told me what) and had fled his home country (Germany) to escape the law. When he became a Christian he was truly sorry for what he'd done, returned to Germany, served his time and now he tries to put back what he took from the community and is a pretty nice guy. Should he be denied that second chance?

Anecdotes can be nice, but don't really count for much. Anyway, you said it yourself, the guy served his time, justice is done. A second chance implies getting off scot free.
Maybe you think he shouldn't and that's fair enough, but I think he should.

He should be tried fairly for his crimes by a jury of his peers. Perhaps you would prefer to have him judged by some unaccountable unelected unquestionable authority?
A couple of years back a guy spoke at Solid Rock who'd killed someone when he was part of a gang. He did the time, became a Christian in prison and now works to get kids out of gangs. He did wrong because of he was misled and lacked guidance from his parents (so he said). Should he have been denied a second chance? I think not, but again you may disagree.
See above
I strongly believe because of meeting these two people that if someone recognises their wrongs and is truly sorry for them they deserve a second chance. We all cock up, just some more than others.
I am not arguing against this. If people are truly sorry, then they will accept justice.

I'm going to abandon analogies because I'm obviously not very good at them! God acts as the judge; he chucks everyone into Hell because we're wrong and deserve it, but we're the ones who have done the wrong. So in a sense, I suppose God is the one pulling the trigger, but only in the way that a firing squad shooting a criminal does.

Now the analogy works because you must presuppose everyone is evil/guilty by default. In this perspective merely being born is a crime and we are guilty until proven innocent. Being born is not something people have a lot of control over. Do you think it fair that we have to suffer eternally for something that our ancestors supposedly did? You would be crying to the heavens if you heard of a court that executed a child because the father was a murderer. But you think this fair, because that's what the doctrine teaches?
Sorry, I meant to put not all the rules (ie of the Bible). Not all of those rules are intended to make the world a better place
Then of what value are they to anyone?
we're all selfish people and loving our neighbour as ourselves isn't something we like to do.
Speak for yourself, and besides, those two things aren't mutually exclusive. One can be still be a good person with a degree of selfishness.

You brought up hallucinations, not me. It just seems a pretty poor argument.

Yes, the idea that personal revelation is something that exists and can provide knowledge of the universe despite all the evidence that they are just hallucinations or in extreme cases madness is a pretty poor argument. Certainly not enough to overturn the whole of physics. A few hundred years ago you were considered a saint if you could hear the voice of god, what do you think happens to those people these days now that we know about mental illnesses?

The temptation not to respond to such a pathetic argument is strong. The nut down at the local institution isn't running hospitals, carrying out scientific experiments, teaching children, keeping the books and all the other things Christians worldwide are doing. And I doubt he's ever been in a room with a lot of other people who also think they're Napoleon.
All non-sequitars. Whether he's a good person or not doesn't affect his claim to be Napoleon (plus he's a bit busy being locked up to do anything good)

Incidentally, we only have four sources which tell us about Socrates - fewer than for Jesus - and not all of these were written by people who knew him directly, but do you believe in him?
I like this. No I do not believe in him. His existence is certainly plausible, but he also may have just been a character invented by Plato. However, you are trying to imply that if I believe socrates existed, and jesus didn't, when there is little evidence for both, then I would be being hypocritical, but you are mistaken. If I were to say to you that two people exist, one is called Dave and drives the number 7 bus, he likes House. The other is called Zaphod Beeblebrox and he likes to fly around the solar system in his invisible pink teapot. You have the same amount of evidence for both, but which one do you think really exists?

Mark wasn't a disciple, but is thought to have been present at Jesus' arrest. Peter was thought to have been his main source, and he was an eyewitness.
Peter was the eyewitness we agree, but Mark wrote the gospel in rome from Peter's testimony (and if Mark really were at the arrest, how old must he have been to have survived into the old age (at that time) to have written about it 40 years later?)
Most of the historical documents we rely on for pre-modern history are written in this way, as are the biographies of many people today. Rejecting sources because they're not eyewitnesses leaves you doubting a great deal of history.
It does, and a great deal of history should be doubted. The difference again is the one illustrated by Dave and Zaphod above.
Modern scholarship tends to place Mark's gospel around 60AD, though others do admit 70AD. But this is still a time when people who knew him and may have been present at his crucifixion were alive. Luke is the same writer as Acts and he was present at many of the events in this book, which was written after the gospel. No serious modern scholarship places his gospel as late as 90AD, I'd be interested to know where you found that date.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B_kMPOCmPBQC

Matthew was quite clearly writing for a Jewish audience and is very well acquainted with Jewish customs, again no modern scholarship that I know of believes him to have been a Gentile.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-ITl4t6XZkcC Though you are right, the majority place as a jewish convert rather than a gentile convert. However, none of these are Matthew the Evangelist whom (and we only have the word of Irenaeus) the book was traditionally ascribed to.
I think I may have been mistaken regarding John's identity, I don't have my notes here but I seem to remember he's generally dated to 90AD at the latest in modern scholarship, though I may be wrong on that one, which would be too late to be the disciple, you're right.
The plot thickens when we learn that John the Revelator was just a crazy greek on an island despite claiming to be John the Evangelist.
But the different gospel writers probably never saw each other's version of events, so plagarism from each other's works is highly unlikely.
There are whole sections of Marks gospel that have been copied and pasted into Matthew and Luke.
Remember the different versions were written for different audiences and collated later into one book.
Now this looks like a plausible explanation. But why collate them if they were for different people, and isn't the factual evidence independent of who reads it?
Christ is at the very centre of all Paul's teaching. Read Romans - he's there and plays a fundamental role.

Romans is all about Paul and his trouble in rome and how he's empowered by Jesus to keep going and so on(he may mention Jesus, but he doesn't actually talk about him in detail). It is in Corinthians that Paul talks about important events in the historicity of Jesus like the last supper and the crucifixion, but no where near as much as he does about how christians should live.
Read Colossians and you can't escape Christ. Paul was writing in response to specific problems in specific churches, so he obviously deals with these issues, but Christ is referred to in every single one of his letters and plays a fundamental role in most of them.

There is now strong consensus that Colossians was not written by Paul but by someone wishing to continue the Pauline tradition, sometime in ca. 70-80 after Paul's death.
True, Paul wasn't an eyewitness of Christ (not counting the road to Damascus) but his accounts were written before the gospels and include information regarding belief about Jesus before the gospels were written, including what are thought to be early creeds and hymns from the first few years after Jesus' death. He is thus a very useful source which indicates that the beginnings of a church had formed within a decade of the crucifixion and resurrection, at a time when the events were fresh in people's minds.
I do not dispute this.
Haunted

Postby Thalia on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:52 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Prove to me that such a thing exists and I'll pay more attention to the shopping list of available deities which demand my devotion. Judaism, Christianity and Islam are already crossed off the list, btw. I can't possibly take their god seriously. With the whole universe to play with, he finds that what vexes him most is what orifice I choose to put my penis into. Yeah. Thanks, but no thanks.

I've always thought that if I ever was going to 'choose' a religion, it would probably be Buddhism. Although technically some people wouldn't define it as a religion due to its distinct lack of creator god. But it's always rather appealed to me, the idea that all life involves suffering but that through gaining wisdom (by understanding the nature of reality), being ethical (not harming others or being untruthful) and meditating (mastering your own mind) you can take steps towards ending that suffering. There's something about the basic concept that i just like :) But alas, i remain a lazy atheist.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby RedCelt69 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 am

I'm not an expert (or even an authority) on Buddhism, but as I understand it, there are two distinct types. One is theistic, the other atheistic. So your laziness could perhaps be catered for.

If I had a gun to my head (where does this gun keep coming from, and who keeps making strange demands of everyone) and was made to choose a religion, it would be Buddhism. During a visit to Thailand, I had a sense of what I can only describe as a different attitude to life from the locals. A culture which evolved without the whole fire 'n' brimstone mentality and all of the guilt and social restrictions such a belief-system brings with it.

Or perhaps it was the balmy weather, the amazing food and the beautiful Thai people.

If the same gun (and perhaps the same wielder of the aforementioned gun) were to restrict my choice to the different flavours of Christianity... I'd plump for Quaker flavour. They don't evangelise or insist you follow their God. They're pacifists, rejecting the whole oxymoron of "onward Christian soldiers"... and they don't hold with a church heirarchy. It's a simple relationship with their personal god which doesn't impinge on the beliefs (or non-beliefs) of others.

And they make great porridge.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby exnihilo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:53 am

I'm not familiar with this form of Judaism you describe, RedCelt, the one which is obsessed with where you put your penis. But then I suspect you're making your argument that all Abrahamic faiths are bad on the basis of the preaching of the most extreme, and on the basis of a couple of all too often misquoted verses.

Elyettoner, I also would take issue with the notion that the Old Testament offers any words on salvation, that's a Christian concept and not one which appears in Judaism. I find it most odd that a faith which allows anyone (of any faith or none at all) into the presence of God provided they've lived a good life was so rapidly superceded by one which preaches so much hate and has so much to say about eternal suffering and which makes its "salvation" contingent on a form of words rather than on actually living to an ethical code*.

It's also slightly amusing to see anything containing the words "only the Catholics" as a way of defending another Christian doctrine, that would be the same Catholics who make up, and have ever made up, the overwhelming majority of Christians in the world then, with in excess of a billion members, well over half the number of the world's Christians? But, then, with thirty-odd thousand denominations, it's possible to find whatever version of the "truth" most appeals.

Just as an afterthought, I really don't see why people are so upset by the original ads. God probably doesn't exist. Seems fair enough. You probably won't win the lottery either, but knock yourself out if you want to keep buying a ticket, it's your life after all and maybe, just maybe, you will win. There's nothing hateful or unpleasant in the wording of those ads, just an honest attempt to present an alternative view, but why am I not at all surprised at the style and tone of the response from certain "Christian" groups? I remarked elsewhere that in the interest of not being left out the Chief Rabbi ought to pay for a bus ad that says "we want nothing to do with all this silliness".

-----
* Don't misunderstand me, there is much that to modern eyes is morally bankrupt in the Tanakh, but there is the concept of informed autonomy as well which allows - indeed encourages - people to determine what parts truly apply, and to debate and question and reexamine.
exnihilo

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board