Home

TheSinner.net

Hve you ever had one of those days...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Hve you ever had one of those days...

Postby careba2010 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:42 pm

where everything that could go wrong goes wrong?

Because I am having one today, it all started off Ok but has just gone down hill since lunchtime. First of all I secure an elusive seat in the Library nextdoor to Mr Sociable who talked loudly to his friend across the room for two hours. Then when I decided to give up on the library and decide to go back home to work, somewhere between the Library and Regs my computer decides to die on me and I cant get it to work. So then Mr Fujitsu Siemens Helpline tells me it could cost up to £200 pounds to fix and it isnt under warranty. Then at supper time I discover that some little ****** has stolen my dinner out of the fridge and then to cap it all off we have just had a fire alarm.

I know in the grand scheme of things its not a bad day say in comparison to Gaza etc but please tell me I am not alone in this happening
careba2010

Re: Hve you ever had one of those days...

Postby the Empress on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:31 pm

no, me too. I'm at the point of crying. I've already screamed and yelled at my computer, knocked my cup to the floor (less dramatic flourish and more oafish clumsiness). I've been trying to do these assignments for weeks, I've finally cracked how to do the analysis, it's due in tomorrow and the software keeps freezing, my mouse won't move . . . . . . . I have an exam on Wednesday when I thought it was a week away and haven't started revising . . . I'm.just.yeah.*venting* *head thunks* Yes. Today is a horrible day. I have no doubt that this will be a horrible week. My mediocrity is spinning out of control. And I've eaten *all* the M&M's.

[Edit] . . . and have just realised I have an interview in a few hours. I got the date wrong.
the Empress

Postby Person on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 am

I hear you. My car broke down the other day so for most of my visit back home I haven't had it, meaning I haven't been able to see a fair number of my friends who live far away and can't drive. And of course, exams.
Person

Postby careba2010 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:21 am

Empress it is good to know I am not suffering alone. I have just been to ITS and they say my Laptop is going to be expensieve to repair as the "motherboard" (?) has gone.
Hope your day gets better
careba2010

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:06 pm

How expensive it is to repair depends entirely on what type of laptop you have, motherboards can cost anything form £5 to £5000.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby careba2010 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Its a Fujitsu Siemes Amilo Laptop which I believe my dad bought in Tesco (!)
careba2010

Postby Gubbins on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:48 am

careba2010 wrote:Its a Fujitsu Siemes Amilo Laptop which I believe my dad bought in Tesco (!)

I know a guy who fixes them for a living (in Crewe). Depending on what's gone wrong, it's likely be anything from a replacement job (~£100 + labour + shipping, etc., so ~£200) to a fused circuit on the power input (quite common, requires a short piece of wire, a soldering iron and about half an hour). If it's out of warranty, you could always try your local computer shop - and by that I mean the slightly dodgy corner shop that will do these kind of things in the back room, not some glorified sales counter that'll take a hoover to your wallet. The trouble is finding one these days.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Postby the_third_man on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:31 am

careba2010 wrote:Empress it is good to know I am not suffering alone. I have just been to ITS and they say my Laptop is going to be expensieve to repair as the "motherboard" (?) has gone.
Hope your day gets better

First of all, my sympathies.

Two points: (1) I suspect ITS may actually mean "we have no idea what's wrong", and (2) if it really is the motherboard that's damaged, it might actually be cheaper to buy a new laptop.
the_third_man

Postby the Empress on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 pm

thanks, hope you get it sorted careba. Computers are essentially a mystery to me:S
the Empress

Postby careba2010 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:16 pm

As predicted by lots of you wise sinners it is going to be far too costly to replace. Hopefully it is covered by my insurance so keep your fingers crossed
careba2010

Return to The Sinner's Main Board