Home

TheSinner.net

Barack Obama inauguration

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Barack Obama inauguration

Postby Humphrey on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:54 pm

LonelyPilgrim wrote:I will never understand why some athiests take such a hostile view toward people of faith. I'll acknowledge a certain irrationality in religious belief, but for crying out loud people... this does not automatically mean someone is going to make stupid decisions as a head of state. We all have irrational beliefs, albeit not all of us have *religious* irrational beliefs.

They have probably been reading stuff like this

http://richarddawkins.net/article,3534, ... Thomson-MD

Religion needs to be taken seriously. Understanding its roots, how it can seize command of our psychology and take control of our culture, may well be one of the most important endeavors we pursue. For even with all our grand technology, modern medical advances, and volumes of knowledge, if we do not stop our archaic past from overriding our modern reason we are surely doomed.

Lovely.
Humphrey

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Humphrey wrote:How about a belief in abstract entities like 'justice', 'the moral law', 'the equality and equal dignity of all human beings' and 'human rights'. You can enshrine these in legal documents, but in order to do that you first have to acknowledge their existence.

facepalm.jpg

The Christian God is not a concept or abstract entity for them so your point is null. God for them has direct, causal and physical effect in nature unlike 'justice' or even the 'Form of Justice' if you want to be Platonic.

SpidersfromMars wrote:Wow, think a lot of ourself don't we? Honestly the fact that you can't think of one just makes it worse. Every real wacko thinks ALL their beliefs are perfectly sound.

Not really. I think you'll find that like most people, I don't have a belief in anything that isn't backed up by substantial evidence. Show me something I believe to be true that isn't widely accepted by science, and I'll accept that everybody has some irrational beliefs.

Humphrey wrote:"Atheist" comes from "a-theos", without God, i.e. it is a negation just like "non-believer".

No one is arguing with the negation, it's the way it is used. The etymology more relevantly comes from "a-theist" anyway, denoting a person who is not a "theist", someone who believes in a deity. But the word doesn't really have that connotation now in everyday use while "non-believer" has the ring of a Hell-obsessed preacher.

Humphrey wrote:All of the concepts I have mention can be regarded as 'irrational' or 'rational', e.g for morality (moral nihilism Vs Moral realism). The least rational one is the idea of human rights which Jeremy Benthem described as 'nonsense on stilts' and Huntington described in 'The Clash of Civilisations' as a Western peculiarity with no resonance for the rest of humanity; not surprising as the concept is founded in 'natural law'. Under legal positivism, the concept of universal human rights is untenable. Despite its irrationality we praise people and believe them virtuous for expressing their belief in the concept.

That your example of human rights can be conceived of as irrational does not prove that it is so, surely it only highlights that in the past positions have been held that are incorrect. I'll admit I'm unfamiliar with positions against them, but I would very much like to see the arguments that prove that human rights are somehow irrational, bad, incorrect, untenable.

Anyway, saying that these concepts can be thought of as rational or irrational in the context of a belief in deities or anything else supernatural seems irrelevant since, as I mentioned above, God (the Christian God) is given physical and causal properties while 'justice' as a thing in existence doesn't.

Humphrey wrote:They have probably been reading stuff like this

http://richarddawkins.net/article,3534, ... Thomson-MD

Religion needs to be taken seriously. Understanding its roots, how it can seize command of our psychology and take control of our culture, may well be one of the most important endeavors we pursue. For even with all our grand technology, modern medical advances, and volumes of knowledge, if we do not stop our archaic past from overriding our modern reason we are surely doomed.

Lovely.

Please indicate where in that paragraph there is hostility. If there are world leaders who abandon logical reasoning and facts based on evidence in preference for a belief in the imaginary then we surely ARE doomed! Wanting to stomp out religion all together is certainly hostile and wrong but surely showing people how irrational it is to believe and govern their actions by the irrational is surely not.

Postby Haunted on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Humphrey wrote:
Haunted wrote:All of the concepts I have mention can be regarded as 'irrational' or 'rational', e.g for morality (moral nihilism Vs Moral realism). The least rational one is the idea of human rights which Jeremy Benthem described as 'nonsense on stilts' and Huntington described in 'The Clash of Civilisations' as a Western peculiarity with no resonance for the rest of humanity; not surprising as the concept is founded in 'natural law'. Under legal positivism, the concept of universal human rights is untenable. Despite its irrationality we praise people and believe them virtuous for expressing their belief in the concept.

No I disagree. Irrationality means acting (or thinking, existing?) without regard to (or with very little) logic or reason. There are perfectly logical reasons to have law and justice. There is a rational argument to ascribe basic rights to everyone, however, it would be irrational to presume that such a thing is objective and universal (i.e. natural). With that in mind, it works fine within legal positivism.

EDIT: Guest does have a point, we should distinguish whether we are arguing about a deistic entity or Yahweh.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby macgamer on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:24 pm

Haunted wrote:I'll agree though that Rick Warren was a poor choice and I kinda zoned out on his bit but from what I remember it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Getting Rick Warren there was a way of releasing chaff to keep the pro-life camp of his trail for a little while. It hasn't worked, Obama's views and plans for funding abortion and embryonic stem cell research are frankly hideous.

However admittedly, others may view this as progress.

A politician using spin to improve his popularity, there's a surprise.

We could always pray for him ;)
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby Humphrey on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Guest wrote:
facepalm.jpg

The Christian God is not a concept or abstract entity for them so your point is null. God for them has direct, causal and physical effect in nature unlike 'justice' or even the 'Form of Justice' if you want to be Platonic.

Not worth a face palm surely! -.-

To put it into context, I was trying to rise to Haunted's challenge think of situations where an 'irrational belief in the invisible' is seen as virtuous. God didn't come into it. There seem to be plenty of examples of 'invisible' entities which we consider it as virtuous to believe in, despite a lack of a sufficient rational basis (e.g Universal Human Rights). Where we are going to get a bit stuck is with the word 'irrational', as clearly whether something is regarded as rational or irrational appears to be quite subjective. Is it rational to believe it is 'self evident that all men are created equal'?, Is it rational, post Darwin, for people to believe they are making decisions according to some transcendent sense of right and wrong?. Is it rational for people to believe in the existence of 'the self'?. Be interesting to debate all these but we could be here a long time.
Humphrey

Postby Haunted on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:44 pm

macgamer wrote:Getting Rick Warren there was a way of releasing chaff to keep the pro-life camp of his trail for a little while. It hasn't worked, Obama's views and plans for funding abortion and embryonic stem cell research are frankly hideous.

However admittedly, others may view this as progress.

A politician using spin to improve his popularity, there's a surprise.

We could always pray for him ;)

By "pro-life camp" you of course mean pro-insanity camp. Mr Warren has quite interesting ideas about homosexuality and biology and he attracts all the lunatics that you can imagine endorse such thinking.

As far as I am aware of his stance on abortion, I don't think he's going to change the law, but he wants to make it safer and available to those who choose it, you know like the law says it should be. He also wants to start teaching teenagers about contraception again and abandon the money swallowing "faith based" abstinence only travesty of the bush failure.

Also, embryonic stem cell research is a good thing, show me an argument against it that isn't an appeal to bullshit and I'll give your ignorance the time of day
Last edited by Haunted on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haunted

Postby Haunted on Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Humphrey wrote:There seem to be plenty of examples of 'invisible' entities which we consider it as virtuous to believe in

Do not confuse invisible with abstract.
Haunted

Postby Anon. on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:41 pm

The arrogance of this "Guest" is absolutely hilarious.

Guest wrote:Also, what's all this about everyone having irrational beliefs? I can't think of one that I hold.

Guest wrote:That your example of human rights can be conceived of as irrational does not prove that it is so, surely it only highlights that in the past positions have been held that are incorrect.

It is of course inconceivable that people in the future will look back and laugh at the likes of "Guest" for being irrational and incorrect in their beliefs. "Guest" is the pinnacle, the apotheosis, of human existence; he/she/it cannot be improved upon in any way. It's all downhill from here.
Anon.

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:42 pm

Haunted, I wasn't refering to you with the 'hostile' comment, (for once! :-P ). I was referencing the second poster for the most part. And perhaps 'hostility' was a less accurate representation than 'paranoid fear'. Personally, I fear a perfectly 'rational' government leadership that would quite likely find such things as 'human rights' to be inefficient, outmoded, and permissive of irrational deviance - like religious belief. But I guess we all have our bogeyman in the closet.

Guest, believing you don't have an irrational belief is an irrational belief - unless you are are HAL2000 or somesuch. Also, not sure if it's irrational or just ignorant, but since when has Obama not been overtly religious? Were you asleep for the Rev. Wright scandal? Did it slip past you that President Obama began his community organising career in conjunction with his church in Chicago? Seriously, if you were surprised by the religiosity of his speech yesterday, you have only yourself to blame.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby macgamer on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Haunted wrote:By "pro-life camp" you of course mean pro-insanity camp. Mr Warren has quite interesting ideas about homosexuality and biology and he attracts all the lunatics that you can imagine endorse such thinking.

I'm sensing quite a bit of this hostility which was mentioned earlier in your words Haunted, can't you treat the subject objectively?

As far as I am aware of his stance on abortion, I don't think he's going to change the law, but he wants to make it safer and available to those who choose it, you know like the law says it should be.

The Bush Presidency put an end to the financing of abortion in developing countries, which was quite a colonial thing to be doing. Trumped as extending reproductive rights, it had more to do with extending the rights of developed countries to continue to consume an inequitable share of the world's resources.

Abortion, or access to it isn't reproductive rights for another reason, since it is the termination of the action of reproduction, the killing of another human person. However this will likely precipitate a debate about the beginning of human life. Again unless the topic can be approaching objectively, debating this is a waste of everyone's time.

He also wants to start teaching teenagers about contraception again and abandon the money swallowing "faith based" abstinence only travesty of the bush failure.

Again I contest your implication that sex education based on contraception leads to a reduction in unwanted pregnancies. See my contributions to this thread http://www.thesinner.net/mb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27480&p=306429#p306429 in August for further details. Instead pregnancies and abortions have continued to increase in countries spending millions of pounds on such initiatives.

Also, embryonic stem cell research is a good thing, show me an argument against it that isn't an appeal to bullshit and I'll give your ignorance the time of day

Why do you insist on bringing yourself down by using profanities? If you accept a utilitarian moral philosophy then I can see why you might think that. However it depends on what philosophical status you ascribe to the embryo. Achieving personhood any time after conception is arbitrary and scientifically dishonest. If the embyro is considered to be a person can a morally bad action (the destruction of the embryo) be justified to achieve a morally good end (research into new therapies for degenerative diseases)? If you are utilitarian in your moral philosophy then probably, if not then no.

Moreover, show me one example where the use of embryonic stem cell research has delivered one therapeutic advance. All the successful therapies carried out using stems cell thus far have been using adult stem cells, for which there can be no ethical objections.

In conclusion are these objections either insane, irrational, or lunacy?
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
macgamer

Postby Frank on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:39 pm

macgamer wrote:If you accept a utilitarian moral philosophy then I can see why you might think that. However it depends on what philosophical status you ascribe to the embryo.

Indeed. We generally pigeonhole things quite well, I'd say, and calling an embryo a human person is...dubious. Calling a newborn baby a human person is dubious too. Is it afforded other 'human rights'? What if we forbid the baby from expressing it's right to free speech?

The point I'm essentially making is the scales of importance which we attach the important 'bits' of humanity to. Arms and legs tend to be viewed as rather impersonal things. Similarly with sperm and eggs. Kicking someone in the head and the goolies are rather shocking. A kick to someone's bottom, on the otherhand, is downright hilarious.

Anyway, regarding a foetus or embryo or an seperate sperm & egg duet as a human is quite curious. No-one is really suggesting that semi-aborted emrbyo are kept alive, permitted to develop and allowed to suffer all the indignities of being, for want of a better phrase, a hideous monster. We either keep 'em (and ascribe them with all the lovely human doo-dahs we like) or purge 'em (fetch the coat hanger).

Assigning moral value to the embryo is, I'd say, a choice. Which is to say: Do you actually want the human, or not? We're making the choice, regardless. Perchance at the point of conception? Or was it before that: at the beginning of intercourse? It's down to prudency, I'd say. Killing babies and people and all that jazz isn't widely acceptable. But what if there's only enough food left for one person to live until rescue? Do both folks die? What if you're leaving your chum trapped under an icecube on the hillside?

The point is: there's plenty of reasons why the death of anything isn't senseless murder. Folks who have miscarriages, are they being negligent parents? Ought they be investigated for neglect?* I'm not entirely sure what point I was making here. Ah, yes, there's a few:

1- Treating embryo's (or indeed: anyone) as fully dignified and for-all-purposes as a jive, walking, hip and talking human is morally problematic. Not necessarily right or wrong, but still it complicates matters without providing (for me and the people I'm hypothetically considering as my like-minded peers) a sufficiently wholesome solution.
2- What the Dickens is wrong with embryonic research anyway?
3- Why aren't we growing appropriately lobotomised-from-as-early-as-possible humans for medical research rather than wasting time on ones which present moral dilemas?
4- I really ought to see Barack's speech.

* Well, I'd assume in some case this is quite an odd one. Beating your pregnant partner about the stomach in the hope of not being a dad: is that one crime or two?

macgamer wrote: Achieving personhood any time after conception is arbitrary and scientifically dishonest. If the embyro is considered to be a person can a morally bad action (the destruction of the embryo) be justified to achieve a morally good end (research into new therapies for degenerative diseases)? If you are utilitarian in your moral philosophy then probably, if not then no.

FALSE DICHOTOMY
There are other possible, sensible answers and you know it. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't exist. Much like Jebus. Man, I hate him. He still owes me those conkers.

macgamer wrote:Moreover, show me one example where the use of embryonic stem cell research has delivered one therapeutic advance.

STRAWMAN, SHIRLEY?
1- The research isn't 'finished', you can hardly suggest it's a complete waste of time based on it not having produced a result yet. Look at Futurama for possibilities: Just applying stemcells from aborted foetuses directly to your face ought to make you years younger!
2- Does anyone (here) really think sole endeavour for stem-cell research is for therapeutic advances? That's not the sole criterion for research. It might be particularly handy in justifying it to people outside the field, or to a research committee, but it's hardly the pure focus of all those noble, pure and brilliant folks out there stealing folks' embryos to go and poke them with electrodes and claim it as stemcell research.

And don't call me shirley!

What what?! :wacko:
Frank

Postby macgamer on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Frank wrote: I'd say, and calling an embryo a human person is...dubious. Calling a newborn baby a human person is dubious too. Is it afforded other 'human rights'? What if we forbid the baby from expressing it's right to free speech?

If it is considered a human person (I'll attempt address that more fully further down) then it should be afforded the rights appropriate to it. The most basic right, is the right to life, it can quite easily be afforded that. Just don't interfere with it or bring it into existence outside of its environment - fallopian tube and uterus. It cannot express itself so a right to free speech isn't appropriate here.

The point I'm essentially making is the scales of importance which we attach the important 'bits' of humanity to. Arms and legs tend to be viewed as rather impersonal things. Similarly with sperm and eggs.

Yes quite right, but arms and legs, eggs and sperm are not independent organisms or entities. Humans beings on the other hand are. An embryo is genetically fully human, it is merely at an earlier stage of development.

Anyway, regarding a foetus or embryo or an seperate sperm & egg duet as a human is quite curious.

It is only curious to do so because the embyro and foetus are unseen to society. An embryo becomes a foetus and hence a baby, at no point in their development is there the possibility that they will become into a cow or a banana.

Assigning moral value to the embryo is, I'd say, a choice. Which is to say: Do you actually want the human, or not? We're making the choice, regardless. Perchance at the point of conception? Or was it before that: at the beginning of intercourse?

I'd say an objective truth; whether you want it or not does not affect its philosophical status. Totalitarian regimes had people they didn't want and therefore removed their membership of humanity and thereby justified their elimination. However objectively I would still say that they were wrong and no one can remove someone's humanity and justify their killing.

It's down to prudency, I'd say. Killing babies and people and all that jazz isn't widely acceptable. But what if there's only enough food left for one person to live until rescue? Do both folks die? What if you're leaving your chum trapped under an icecube on the hillside?

Prudency? I don't see how the problem you gave is in anyway comparable. This again is a utilitarian moral trap, if one person takes all the food and thereby surviving, it has indirectly killed the other. If they both eat they and both die of starvation, there is no murder there. If one freely gives the food of his own accord then that is self sacrifice not suicide, he is dying of starvation caused by an extreme situation. It would be suicide if there was plenty of food available, but still chose not to eat.

The point is: there's plenty of reasons why the death of anything isn't senseless murder. Folks who have miscarriages, are they being negligent parents? Ought they be investigated for neglect?* I'm not entirely sure what point I was making here.

Yes I agree, death and murder are two different things. Miscarriage if accidental is that, accidental. If the mother however, has been drinking, smoking, taking drugs or otherwise abusing herself and then precipitates a miscarriage, then that is a different matter.
Ah, yes, there's a few:

1- Treating embryo's (or indeed: anyone) as fully dignified and for-all-purposes as a jive, walking, hip and talking human is morally problematic. Not necessarily right or wrong, but still it complicates matters without providing (for me and the people I'm hypothetically considering as my like-minded peers) a sufficiently wholesome solution.

How would you decided who has personhood, on a case by case basis? I think it is far more logical to say that any member of the human species is a person. At the point of conception the embryo is a full member of the human species and will become an adult human being given enough time. I am an adult and given enough time I will become an octogenarian. An embyro and an 80 year-old are both members of the human species.

2- What the Dickens is wrong with embryonic research anyway?

Well if an embryo is a human person then is it morally justifiable to kill another person to research therapies that extend the life of another?

3- Why aren't we growing appropriately lobotomised-from-as-early-as-possible humans for medical research rather than wasting time on ones which present moral dilemas?

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to here.

FALSE DICHOTOMY
There are other possible, sensible answers and you know it. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Such as? Whether I like an answer or not is emotional. It really depends on whether I accept it as logical and moral.

STRAWMAN, SHIRLEY?
1- The research isn't 'finished', you can hardly suggest it's a complete waste of time based on it not having produced a result yet.

Granted, but in the same amount of time and with an tiny fraction of the budget, adult stems cells have delivered 100% of all stem cell therapies. Granted eventually they might find ways around the serious technical short comings of the embryonic technique. However there is more than one way to achieve most things, but why chose the inefficient method that has so far borne no fruit? Especially when the easy and efficient method is also completely ethical.

2- Does anyone (here) really think sole endeavour for stem-cell research is for therapeutic advances? That's not the sole criterion for research. It might be particularly handy in justifying it to people outside the field, or to a research committee, but it's hardly the pure focus of all those noble, pure and brilliant folks out there stealing folks' embryos to go and poke them with electrodes and claim it as stemcell research.

That is what distresses me the most about embryonic stem cell research. I might find it slightly more acceptable if it was just to find cures for terrible diseases, but it isn't. That was the lie which won over most MPs when the HFE Act was past. Consider that we are not allowed to carry at test on primates for pure research. They may only be used if there is obsolutely no alternative and justified only if the research will likely bring about direct benefits to humanity. If you consider an embryo a human person, how more heinous is it to conduct such research on embryo, just for the research.

I am a researcher myself, albeit on plants and yes I find my research very interesting just to understand the mechanism of various things, but I much prefer to hope that my research will perhaps add another infinitesmal piece in the puzzle that is the universe and possibly help humanity even indirectly.
macgamer

Postby Senethro on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 am

You're a broken record macgamer. Still toeing the line for the religious patriarchy I see. So I'm only going to mention in passing these points about how embryos are not independent people, or how you're a hypocrite if you don't run into a burning IVF clinic to save all those precious babies, or how God Hates Embryos and causes most of them to miscarry. Lets try something new.

Meet Henrietta Lacks.

Shes been dead for over 50 years and weighs... I've forgotten this factette, but its many metric tonnes. She exists as cell cultures in many laboratories around the world. These were taken (involuntarily) from a cervical cancer during autopsy. They are unusual in that they are "immortal" and can go on reproducing indefinitely which is not a property typical of human cells and makes them useful in some kinds of studies. Henrietta, or HeLa cells are so successful in culture that they have a tendency to contaminate and out compete other samples and many studies on other cell cultures have had to be restarted when it was found that what they were actually working on were rogue HeLa cells accidentally introduced by bad lab procedure.

HeLa has even been into space!

This is more information than is needed but I like the human interest aspect of it and we should all take a moment to think of Henrietta's contribution to science.

mmmmkay now go 'splain again how a bunch of cells containing human genetic material is a person and do it properly this time and don't just flounce out

PS: If conventional sex education does not work, point out one method that does. Please don't avoid this point.
Senethro

Postby Hennessy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:39 am

How did a thread on the inauguaration of a US president turn into an argument about abortion and cell reseach? Forget it, I don't want to know.

What is particularly crass and unsatisfying is how the coverage of Obama continues. I don't want to say this, but in many respects we should leave him alone to do his job. The BBC fawning over Obama's 'first day' is akin to the organisation treating him like an infant, or perhaps more like a caged curiousity. It's all very patronising, and leads me to suspect bit of the 'ol inverse racism will come into play pretty soon, if it hasn't already. Whitey lets a black man see if he can play president, and if he falters, well we can always eviscerate him come prime time, it's the ultimate debate on affirmative action, it's the cruellest of hands giving us what we thought we wanted, it's the last species to be discovered - an African American who might be allowed to hold one reign of power....IT'S THE GREATEST SHOW IN THE WOOOOOOORRRLLLD FOLKS!

There's a great big poisoned chalice somewhere in the White House, and to get this far I think Obama might just have been forced to have a sip, or maybe we forced him, who knows, but if the end really is nigh for the world economy at least it wasn't one of us in the White House.

That is, of course, if he was ever what we expected in the first place. Obama the First was big on the news but not big on the views, he was popular, but in the same way pizza is popular, he smells good, he looks good, and if he's bland enough everyone can have a slice, and weren't we all hungry enough after the lean years of George Dubya Bush?

Just a few thoughts, it's probably about 18 months too early for them though...
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:50 am

Senethro wrote:You're a broken record macgamer. Still toeing the line for the religious patriarchy I see. So I'm only going to mention in passing these points about how embryos are not independent people, or how you're a hypocrite if you don't run into a burning IVF clinic to save all those precious babies, or how God Hates Embryos and causes most of them to miscarry. Lets try something new.

Yes, let's try something new - ad hominum attacks on macgamer. I won't responsd to the rest of your post except the "ps", partly because I have to go catch a flight in ten minutes and partly because I have every confidence that macgamer is perfectly capable of doing so himself.

PS: If conventional sex education does not work, point out one method that does. Please don't avoid this point.

Abstinence - look at AIDS rates in the Philipines and Uganda.

Hennessy wrote:How did a thread on the inauguaration of a US president turn into an argument about abortion and cell reseach? Forget it, I don't want to know.

Because Obama is the most "pro-choice" candidate that the USA has ever had.
starsandsparkles

Postby Haunted on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:05 am

macgamer wrote:I'm sensing quite a bit of this hostility which was mentioned earlier in your words Haunted, can't you treat the subject objectively?

I'm hostile to bullshit. Can I objectively say Rick Warren is a lunatic? Sure, about as objectively as I can say the sky is up. Not even your own Herr Ratzinger doubts modern biology, keep that one in mind.

The Bush Presidency put an end to the financing of abortion in developing countries, which was quite a colonial thing to be doing. Trumped as extending reproductive rights, it had more to do with extending the rights of developed countries to continue to consume an inequitable share of the world's resources.

We we're talking domestic US policy. Roe vs Wade, the legal precedent is in place to allow abortion to those who choose it.

the killing of another human person

I suppose we all kill human beings every time we scratch cells of our skin? No? We can extract DNA from them and implant them, so the potential for human life is still there. Catholic doctrine seems to be stuck on the idea that conception is the beginning of life, but they aren't too keen elaborate on this since conception is a series of events. So, at what point is a human?
1. Penetration of the corona radiata?
2. Fusing of the plasma membranes?
3. The second mieotic devision?

Since life seems to be very black and white for you, you should have no trouble drawing a nice distinct for us. Bonus points if you want to comment at which stage of conception the soul enters the body or whatever.

Again I contest your implication that sex education based on contraception leads to a reduction in unwanted pregnancies. See my contributions to this thread http://www.thesinner.net/mb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27480&p=306429#p306429 in August for further details. Instead pregnancies and abortions have continued to increase in countries spending millions of pounds on such initiatives.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,308898,00.html
http://www.nowpublic.com/sex_abstinence_programs_fail
http://www.mathematica-mpr.com/publicat ... inence.pdf - The federal report on the program

Why do you insist on bringing yourself down by using profanities?

Because I'm human and sometimes I hear things so idiotic, ignorant and arrogant that I need to employ colourful language.

However it depends on what philosophical status you ascribe to the embryo. Achieving personhood any time after conception is arbitrary and scientifically dishonest. If the embyro is considered to be a person can a morally bad action (the destruction of the embryo) be justified to achieve a morally good end (research into new therapies for degenerative diseases)? If you are utilitarian in your moral philosophy then probably, if not then no.

Embryonic stem cell research doesn't actively harvest human females to destroy their embryos you know. These are embyros that are going to be discarded anyway. Besides, we can now do it without destroying the embryo
http://www.phgfoundation.org/news/2627/

Moreover, show me one example where the use of embryonic stem cell research has delivered one therapeutic advance. All the successful therapies carried out using stems cell thus far have been using adult stem cells, for which there can be no ethical objections.

I challenged you first, show me why this is wrong, preferably without an appeal to the supernatural.
And as has been said above, you can't judge the worthiness of research before it has even been carried out.
Haunted

Postby Haunted on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:23 am

starsandsparkles wrote:

Holy logical fallacy Batman!
They teach abstinence in the philippines, they have a low AIDs infection rate, therefore abstinence teaching prevents AIDS? Well done.

The Philippines also just happens to be one of the most culturally sexually conservative nations on the planet. Monogamy is the only way and pregnancy outside marriage is a great social taboo.

Let's try the US where teens who wear those funny little rings end up having sex anyway but without contraception and when compared to teens who didn't take the pledge the rates of STD's are similar.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9629C8B63
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3846687.stm
Haunted

Postby Hennessy on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:53 am

Forget it, I don't want to know

Just couldn't help yourself I see... :/

Quibble quibble quibble away little insects!
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Senethro on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:40 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:Yes, let's try something new - ad hominum attacks on macgamer.

Oh no, they're hardly new and barely satisfying anymore.

Thats cute and how convenient you won't be able to respond. Safe trip!
Senethro

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:30 pm

Hennessy wrote:How did a thread on the inauguaration of a US president turn into an argument about abortion and cell reseach? Forget it, I don't want to know.

Yes, this is some first class digression!
Frank wrote:Ted_kicks_Bishop_Brennan.jpg

Heh. I like Father ted.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board