Home

TheSinner.net

Exam results

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Exam results

Postby ElStudente17 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 am

Is it just me, or are the second-year exam results taking an age to come through? I know we're not exactly top priority, but even then eleven days from exam to no results seems a wee bit excessive. I'm probably just being highly impatient, but is that a regular occurence?
ElStudente17

Re: Exam results

Postby orudge on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:03 am

"The deadline for schools to report exam marks to Registry is Tuesday 3 February. All results will be available by Wednesday 4 February."

Some may come out before then, but most tend not to appear until the deadline.
orudge
Administrator

Postby James.C. on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:26 am

Yeah basically what Owen said, some schools may put theirs up a few days before but i wouldn't hold your breath
James.C.

Postby creepy old man on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes, it takes a while because they have to send it out to an external examiner to check the marks and make sure it was all fairly graded.
creepy old man

Postby creepy old man on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:39 am

Just out of curiosity, is there actually any priority given to honours students over sub-honours for exam marks? I mean, do they really read the honours scripts first and release them before the sub-honours ones? I remember hearing back about first year modules before some 3rd years heard back, so I always assumed that there was no formal priority given to honours students, but no one seems to agree with me.
creepy old man

Postby Freaker on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 pm

I don't recall hearing about any preference for honours students. I would presume that since it would be the tutors and lecturers for each particular course grading, there would not even need to be that much overlap; many lecturers only teach one course a semester. When there is, they may well grade the honours papers first, in case there are some problems, to have more time to resolve them. In the end I don't think it makes a difference, as I have usually had my results all come out at the same time, on the date set by the registry, whether they are honours courses or not. Probably depends on each individual school.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 pm

And so it begins...

Checked for results at 7pm... nothing.

Just did a random check on my phone... they're there!

Consistency with their uploading system would be appreciated!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Postby orudge on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:23 am

My results appeared a few hours ago, earlier than expected (and much preferred to previous years, where I would have to wait for a couple of hours while the server was overloaded and results weren't appearing!). Overall reasonably pleased, although the exam I thought I had done the best in seems to be the one I actually did the worst in. :/
orudge
Administrator

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:46 pm

SchizophrenicCabbage wrote:And so it begins...

Checked for results at 7pm... nothing.

Just did a random check on my phone... they're there!

Consistency with their uploading system would be appreciated!

That just means that your results weren't uploaded until somewhere between the early evening refresh and the late evening refresh.

Postby lizzie_liz on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:35 pm

Best results I have had since being here, now in the 2.1 bracket, just 2 modules and a 60 credit dissertation to go. So fingers crossed can keep it up.
lizzie_liz

Postby Garnet on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Hooray! Next semester should be quite easy as I can't get a first and would have to really mess up to get my average knocked down to a 2:2. Really surprised by my dissertation result as i thought it was a big mess, but a 15 :D
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Am I right in thinking that the exam results are posted in WebCT? Because WebCT is currently down for maintenance. My results didn't appear prior to the maintenance kicking in... so, presumably I have a 1-2 day extra wait to find out how I did during semester 1.

Joy.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 am

No no no, the results are posted on your student record card. Go to the 'current students' homepage on the uni website and it is the top link underneath 'academic matters'. Hope you get them and they're good!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:36 am

D'oh! Thankyakindly.

Hadn't spotted that. There's a link in WebCT which says "You have no new results". I'd been checking that, waiting for it to change to "You have new results, get ready to change your underpants" (or something similar).

OK. So the results are on the report card. They're an accumulation of essays and exam results, yeah? I passed all 3 modules... but would be interested to know how I did in the actual exams. I think I'm stronger in essay-writing than exams, but would like to have had confirmation (or denial) of that.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby RandomMusings on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:28 am

Yes, the results on the report card are your overall mark for the entire module. With most schools, if you want to find out how you did on your exams themselves, you have to go in and speak to the lecturer in person. I used to find it useful to e-mail in advance so that they have time to dig out your script before you turn up, or else you can be waiting a while.

In some cases, if you know what your coursework mark was and how much of the module it accounted for, you can work out what you got in the exam.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Return to The Sinner's Main Board