Home

TheSinner.net

Graduation events...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Graduation events...

Postby Guest on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:39 pm

This is pretty early - but does anyone know how long the graduation ceremony normally lasts, and also what time the garden party starts in the afternoon? Trying to make arrangements ahead for family so would be helpful to know times :)

Re: Graduation events...

Postby johnjohnjohn on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Graduation usually lasts about 1.30-2 hours, there's a timetable up on the Graduation section of the uni website so you can double check your specific times. I think the garden party starts at 2 or 2:30 but I wouldn't bet my life on it...?
johnjohnjohn

Postby A on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:41 pm

So does that mean there are no garden parties for the students graduating in the afternoon?
A

Postby Al12 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 pm

When and where does the graduation ball usually take place?
Al12

Postby FOX291 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

In what order do we graduate. Is it alphabetical or by degree classification?
FOX291

Postby DaftPunk on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 pm

DaftPunk

Postby johnjohnjohn on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 pm

There is a morning garden party for those graduating the the afternoon, as far as I'm aware. Grad ball takes place on the friday night of graduation week, and is at Lower College lawn (same as Opening Ball). Graduation is by subject (which is not arranged alphabetically on the timetable, as far as I can see) however you will be called up alphabetically by surname at the ceremony.

Sucks to be you, Mr Aardvaark.
johnjohnjohn

Postby Amorphous on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Last year there was only one garden party per day, timed so that both morning and afternoon graduates could attend - about 4 or 4.30pm I think. I suppose it's possible that morning graduates get a slight advantage in queuing (since the afternoon ceremony ends right as the garden party starts, basically) but I was an afternoon graduate and didn't really notice a problem, there was plenty of food and drink to go around.

During the ceremony the degree types are grouped first by faculty, then by degree title, so if you're studying a subject that qualifies as both Art and Science (e.g. Psychology) you'll find yourself separated from some of your classmates.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Postby queen of scots on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:57 pm

[quote="johnjohnjohn"]There is a morning garden party for those graduating the the afternoon, as far as I'm aware. /quote]

I don't think so....I graduated in the afternoon and headed off to the garden party afterwards, as did most people. It didn't start until 4 or so. They don't hold the garden parties in the mornings.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Postby Lid on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:54 pm

According to the time at which one of my photos was taken after graduation, the afternoon ceremony in which I graduated must have finished around about 1500. As I graduated on the Tuesday afternoon (i.e. the first ceremony), I'm not sure what time the garden party would have ordinarily started had there been a morning event, but by 1545, there are pictures of me drinking that cheap cheap nAsti Spumante.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby johnjohnjohn on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:37 pm

queen of scots wrote:
johnjohnjohn wrote:There is a morning garden party for those graduating the the afternoon, as far as I'm aware. /quote]

I don't think so....I graduated in the afternoon and headed off to the garden party afterwards, as did most people. It didn't start until 4 or so. They don't hold the garden parties in the mornings.

Ooops, my bad. I misheard my friend - apologies! Well that sucks for me, I'm graduating on Friday afternoon...
johnjohnjohn

Postby Reg on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Lid wrote:According to the time at which one of my photos was taken after graduation, the afternoon ceremony in which I graduated must have finished around about 1500. As I graduated on the Tuesday afternoon (i.e. the first ceremony), I'm not sure what time the garden party would have ordinarily started had there been a morning event, but by 1545, there are pictures of me drinking that cheap cheap nAsti Spumante.

Perhaps the time on your camera was an hour out - the afternoon ceremonies don't start until 2:30 and they take longer than half an hour. There are now 8 ceremonies in the June graduation, so I see no reason why garden parties would start at different times.
Reg

Postby atoms on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:03 am

Hi,
I understand that there is a lottery thing where people can apply to get additional tickets but what are the chances of getting the number you request/is there a limit? I'm in a situation where ideally i need 4 extra... What are the chances of even getting 2 and Is there anything stopping me asking/compensating other people graduating on the same day for unwanted tickets??

Cheers, A.
atoms

Return to The Sinner's Main Board