Home

TheSinner.net

List your all time top 5 favourite computer/video games

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: List your all time top 5 favourite computer/video games

Postby Jormungand on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:17 pm

I'll pick five but I couldn't even begin to rank them. I always end up going 'but what about x game, I forgot that, damn!':

1) Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
2) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
3) Deus Ex
4) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
5) Baldur's Gate II

I won't put FF7 on the list on the basis that playing that game has fantastic memories for me and I suspect if I played it again it wouldn't be nearly as good.
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Haunted on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Jormungand wrote:I won't put FF7 on the list on the basis that playing that game has fantastic memories for me and I suspect if I played it again it wouldn't be nearly as good.

You're wrong, I played through it a few months ago, it still has it.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Jormungand on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:24 pm

Haunted wrote:
Jormungand wrote:I won't put FF7 on the list on the basis that playing that game has fantastic memories for me and I suspect if I played it again it wouldn't be nearly as good.

You're wrong, I played through it a few months ago, it still has it.

Damn, there goes my rationalisation for not letting it consume most of my time in the coming semester :(
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Humphrey on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Hard to get it down to a top 5 but here we go:

1) Civilisation (the original) - 'We note that your pathetic civilisation has not yet discovered the secret of nuclear weapons; give us all of your remaining gold or we will nuke your last remaining city'. So true to life.

2) Rome Total war - Great for the pre battle speeches your generals give. Try getting one with the 'mad as a hatter' trait and see what he says.

3) Zork - Text based with no pretty pictures. The most unforgiving game in history. 'Walk North'...'You are dead, dead dead, you have fallen into a big pit of spikes and been eaten by rabid dogs'. 'Ok then; walk east'....'you are dead dead dead' etc, etc. No kid nowadays would bother to sit through that crap.

4) Wing Commander 3 - I literally cried when I pre-ordered this and it didn't turn up on release day. It tried to resurrect Mark Hamill's career (and that of Biff from Back to the Future) but failed miserably. There was one bizzare sequence when you had to choose which love interest Mark Hamill's character plays tonsil hockey with (none of the above was not an option).

5) Doom - John Romero's moment of pure brilliance before his hubris and eventual nemesis (Daikatana) and fall from grace.
Humphrey

Postby Duggeh on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Power Metal Dom wrote:
Duggeh wrote:Pick 5

Impossible.

Don't make me do it for you!

Power Metal Dom wrote:
Duggeh wrote:2)Deus Ex

I love putting on a trench coat and fighting some conspiracies.

Try playing through on Realistic and only killing the minimum number of people. It should be doable killing only 2 or three people. Howard Strong might be the only person who has to die.

I installed Deus Ex 2 after I put together a new pc in the summer. It runs at uber frame rates on high settings now, but fuck me if it isnt still the bloated slow bouncy rubbery rubbishy mess it was when my PC couldn't run it. You know a sequel is bad when its so bad you can't even play through the introductory portions because the feel of the game is awful.
Duggeh

Postby orudge on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Kelly wrote:Sim Farm (PC) - complete with accurate booklet on planting/harvesting crops (!)

SimFarm, I used to love that in my younger days. :D

Civ2 and SimCity 2000 are also favourites of mine, although I've not played the latter in many years. Team Fortress 2 is another game I enjoy a lot, although I'm not sure if it'd make it into the top 5. (I could cheat and replace "Half Life 2 series" with "Orange Box" perhaps :P).
orudge
Administrator

Postby Jormungand on Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Humphrey wrote:Hard to get it down to a top 5 but here we go:

1) Civilisation (the original) - 'We note that your pathetic civilisation has not yet discovered the secret of nuclear weapons; give us all of your remaining gold or we will nuke your last remaining city'. So true to life.

2) Rome Total war - Great for the pre battle speeches your generals give. Try getting one with the 'mad as a hatter' trait and see what he says.

3) Zork - Text based with no pretty pictures. The most unforgiving game in history. 'Walk North'...'You are dead, dead dead, you have fallen into a big pit of spikes and been eaten by rabid dogs'. 'Ok then; walk east'....'you are dead dead dead' etc, etc. No kid nowadays would bother to sit through that crap.

4) Wing Commander 3 - I literally cried when I pre-ordered this and it didn't turn up on release day. It tried to resurrect Mark Hamill's career (and that of Biff from Back to the Future) but failed miserably. There was one bizzare sequence when you had to choose which love interest Mark Hamill's character plays tonsil hockey with (none of the above was not an option).

5) Doom - John Romero's moment of pure brilliance before his hubris and eventual nemesis (Daikatana) and fall from grace.

Civ 1? I can't see how it's better, possible nostalgia aside. Lacking things like culture (actually especially culture) make Civ 1 and 2 pretty unplayable speaking as someone who these days plays Civ 4/SMAC.

And now in a twist of irony...

I still think M:TW (the first) was better than Rome. T'was more focused on the strategy than the 'oooooh, shinies!' obsessions of later editions.
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Zanbato on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:02 pm

1) Doom/ Doom II
2) Unreal Tournament GOTY
3) Fallout 3
4) Streets of Rage/ SOR II
5) Golden Axe...or Mirrors Edge. I can't decide.
Zanbato

Postby Power Metal Dom on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:18 pm

orudge wrote:(I could cheat and replace "Half Life 2 series" with "Orange Box" perhaps :P).

I wanted to do that :D

Zanbato wrote:5) Golden Axe...or Mirrors Edge. I can't decide.

GA surely, Mirror's Edge while original is very short.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Zanbato on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Power Metal Dom wrote:
orudge wrote:(I could cheat and replace "Half Life 2 series" with "Orange Box" perhaps :P).

I wanted to do that :D

Zanbato wrote:5) Golden Axe...or Mirrors Edge. I can't decide.

GA surely, Mirror's Edge while original is very short.

GA is an amazing game, but it was always second to SOR.

Mirror's edge is just so cool. Once I finish Fallout 3 (...) i'll go back and play the hell out of M'sE.

Actually, can I swap? Tenchu is one of my favs, probably more so than GA or M'sE. I just loved stealthing people in feudal Japan. I always hoped they would utilise the moves from Tomb Raider and Mirror's Edge into Tenchu - how awesome would that be?
Zanbato

Postby Aureliano on Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:53 pm

This will probably reveal me to be a total Sierra / Lucasarts 2d action-adventure fanboy, but... what the heck:

1) Monkey Island series (with part 2 definitely holding its own)
2) Quest for Glory series
3) Gabriel Knight series
4) Civilization series
5) World of Warcraft

Other favourites include Portal, Half-life, Starcraft etc.

Oh and I'll always have a soft spot for California Games and Ski or Die... :D
Aureliano

Postby Cain on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:04 pm

In no real order

Spider-man 2 on PS2 (I just like popping it in and swinging around)
Wii Fit
Knights of the Old Republic
Warcraft III
The 5th will likely be something from the Mega Drive, but I can't think of it now.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Postby Guest on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Cain wrote:Wii Fit

That's a video game? And it's an ALL TIME fave?

Postby James.C. on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:49 pm

Zanbato wrote:4) Streets of Rage/ SOR II

How could i have forgotten that? awesome game(s).
James.C.

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:37 am

Jormungand wrote:
I still think M:TW (the first) was better than Rome. T'was more focused on the strategy than the 'oooooh, shinies!' obsessions of later editions.

Try the RTR (Rome: Total Realism) brand of mods before dismissing Rome. Vast improvements.

For my five:

1. AoE series, particularly AoE2:TC

2. Call to Power II (I really think the Civ clone here outdid the original)

3. Rome: Total War, but like I said only with the RTR mod(s)

4. Empire Earth

5. Diablo II
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby Duggeh on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:29 am

Aureliano wrote:This will probably reveal me to be a total Sierra / Lucasarts 2d action-adventure fanboy, but... what the heck:

1) Monkey Island series (with part 2 definitely holding its own)
2) Quest for Glory series
3) Gabriel Knight series
4) Civilization series
5) World of Warcraft

Other favourites include Portal, Half-life, Starcraft etc.

Oh and I'll always have a soft spot for California Games and Ski or Die... :D

Giant fail.

Also replace one of mine that isnt Deus Ex with Streets of rage 2. Godly game.
Duggeh

Postby grier on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:26 am

I can't believe no one has suggested a Hamachi network for AOE2! ..a truely perfect rts game.

My top five
1) Deus Ex (did anyone else play the multiplayer?)
2) Counterstrike Source
3) Microsoft flight simulators
4) Warcraft 3
5) Hidden and Dangerous 1 + 2
these are here because of the obsessive amount of time I spent playing them and/or the things I learned from them

Honourable mentions:
twisted metal, croc 3d:legend of the gobbos, ut 2004 (id still jump at the chance to play an instagib match!)
grier

Postby Duggeh on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:46 am

The Deus Ex multiplay was without question the weakest part of the whole game, would have worked much better as an agent vs baddies type of play, or co-op missions, or vs-op missions.
Duggeh

Postby Jormungand on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Duggeh wrote:The Deus Ex multiplay was without question the weakest part of the whole game, would have worked much better as an agent vs baddies type of play, or co-op missions, or vs-op missions.

There's a multiplayer...?
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Duggeh on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:53 pm

You have to have the game all patched up or own a copy of the Game Of The Year edition. It wasn't originally included (because its a pile of shit) but was eventually made available after people whined about it. Then they whined that it was shit.
Duggeh

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board