Home

TheSinner.net

Ape Soc

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Ape Soc

Postby Delts on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Apparently this exists?

What the hell do they do?
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Re: Ape Soc

Postby AliceChalliner on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:09 pm

Nice to see you were concentrating in the meeting! Im banning you from using your laptop from now on...
AliceChalliner

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:02 am

Still... He has a point.
We looked this up in the meeting and there's no facebook group, no sign of it on any of the uni websites, and no other hints of it's existance on The Sinner...
Curious.
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby RandomMusings on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:59 am

I still reckon it must be an acronym... (hypothetical) prizes for the best/funniest suggestions....
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby Freaker on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:50 am

They had a bake sale outside the library a while ago. I believe it is a society for medicine/psychology students who work with the apes they have here in St Andrews, and are raising money for a research trip to warmer climates.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Postby Thalia on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 am

The psych department never had apes here (or at least not as far as I've been here) and as far as i know the monkeys that they had are now gone - from what the rumour mill told me, they weren't being used enough to warrant keeping them. Research on monkeys is easily carried out at Edinburgh Zoo anyway, which had been happening even when the monkeys were here - students researching primates in fourth year generally carry out research at the zoo, according to the form we got when picking research areas.

There was a post on here at one point that i don't think got through because it was an advert, and i think their goal was something like what Freaker said.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 am

Freaker wrote:They had a bake sale outside the library a while ago. I believe it is a society for medicine/psychology students who work with the apes they have here in St Andrews, and are raising money for a research trip to warmer climates.

Are they affiliated?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Delts on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

I was deeply disappointed today when I turned up to the society's fayre and didn't see anyone dressed in ape costumes re-enacting scenes from planet of the apes. I demand more ape related tomfoolery!
Delts

Postby Haunted on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Well it is Darwin day tomorrow, who knows?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Al on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Maybe they just copy what works well for other societies...
Al

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:50 am

They were a Societies fayre, though.
Made me lol.
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:51 am

to rectify all this ridiculous gossip-mongering. Ape Society is an entirely official affiliated society promotong conservation and awareness of apes and other primates. We do have a facebook group, but being a new society are still broadeneing our publicity. we raise funds for legitimate projects, and entierly NOT to fund our own reseach. one involves training ex-bushmeat hunters how to farm sustainably rather than hunting primates. people need to have a better and less cynical attitude to the conservation of primates, its not doing anyone any favours

Postby Thalia on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 am

That's a bit of an attitude you have there. Researching apes and monkeys in the wild is an important part of evolutionary psychology and the cost of getting involved in that is rather prohibitive when you're a student - i wouldn't have seen anything wrong with raising funds to allow students to get out there and join a research group.

Nobody here has shown a cynical attitude towards the conservation of primates - as you no doubt read, no one was sure what your aims were and they were just having a bit of a laugh. Maybe you can tell me a bit more about your project with bushmeat hunters - i was under the impression that they chose hunting out of poverty, with other options not gaining them nearly as much, such that attempts to stop them haven't really worked that well?

And, going back to your rather bitter comments, I'd argue that a cynical attitude to conservation doesn't exactly lose us anything either. Apes are generally seen as umbrella species' and their extinction could have huge effects on their ecosystem but that might not necessarily have any negative effects on local human populations - they'll adapt as humans are well known for doing.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:59 am

Im very glad that you are keen to explore these current primate issues. My earlier reaction was because i was a bit dissapointed that people posted those kind of comments, but see now that we must club together to help primates out, so id like to spread a positive word for our furry friends. Apes in particular are really in dire straits now and we really need to work together to help protect them. Orangutans and bonobos are in a particularly depressing situation

The current fundraising project is working with ex bush-meat hunters, to train them how to farm pigs sustainable. We already are connected with a snare-removal team in Uganda, and they have gathered 50 ex-hunters who would be keen to participate. They will be provided with the stock animals and on-going training. This is a long term project that has been set up with a community that have shown understanding that hunting out all the animals in the forest doesnt work long-term

We are also organising an African Party( 24th Feb!) and a Lecture special in March where top primate experts will come to discuss current topics in primatology and human evolution, with themese such as the evolution of trade, language and intentionality

Postby 777 on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Guest wrote:to rectify all this ridiculous gossip-mongering. Ape Society is an entirely official affiliated society promotong conservation and awareness of apes and other primates. We do have a facebook group, but being a new society are still broadeneing our publicity. we raise funds for legitimate projects, and entierly NOT to fund our own reseach. one involves training ex-bushmeat hunters how to farm sustainably rather than hunting primates. people need to have a better and less cynical attitude to the conservation of primates, its not doing anyone any favours

Preciousssssssssssssssss (crap speller though)
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:33 pm

yes , woops! forgot to do a spell check. my response posted above is more what i want to say.

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:56 pm

Guest wrote:to rectify all this ridiculous gossip-mongering. Ape Society is an entirely official affiliated society promotong conservation and awareness of apes and other primates. We do have a facebook group, but being a new society are still broadeneing our publicity. we raise funds for legitimate projects, and entierly NOT to fund our own reseach. one involves training ex-bushmeat hunters how to farm sustainably rather than hunting primates. people need to have a better and less cynical attitude to the conservation of primates, its not doing anyone any favours

WHAT THE FUCK?!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:58 pm

Guest wrote:but see now that we must club together to help primates out

I'd like to get together and club some primates, where do I sign?
munchingfoo

Postby Delts on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Well in other ape hijinks I saw a gorilla walk into MT2001 as I was leaving 1007. The two people I know who were in the lecture didn't notice it as well!
Delts

Postby Frank on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Guest wrote: to spread a positive word for our furry friends.

Furries? :wacko:

With regards to the lecture series though, get spreading the word, sounds interesting! I am not aping you! This is no monkeybusiness. I'm not monkeying around!

Sorry, that got a bit out of hand. Don't go ape!

(I'm serious about the lectures though)
Frank

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board