Home

TheSinner.net

"Fresh Toast"

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: "Fresh Toast"

Postby Lid on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:03 am

allday_dj wrote:assuming we don't just plonk the antenna on top of the union

Am I missing something here - why not? Wasn't this done before? In terms of height ASL, it's probably the best in St Andrews, and even 1W erp pep should travel across the ~4 miles that St Andrews stretches.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby Fawksie on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:12 am

Lid wrote:
allday_dj wrote:assuming we don't just plonk the antenna on top of the union

Am I missing something here - why not? Wasn't this done before? In terms of height ASL, it's probably the best in St Andrews, and even 1W erp pep should travel across the ~4 miles that St Andrews stretches.

The mandated coverage areas are different. For S-RSL, "Licences are issued for coverage of a town or part of
a city, typically a 3km (2 mile) radius in an urban area". I've already quoted the L-RSL condition above. If you install the antenna on top of the Union, what do you state on the licence as the "clearly definable single site"? The Union itself? That's not going to be accepted because the proper means of covering a single building is an induction loop system. The North Haugh? If so, the antenna must be on the North Haugh: "Your transmitter (i.e. your radiating antenna) must be located within the site you are seeking to serve."
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby allday_dj on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:05 pm

As for the DAB option, I hope you've got a hell of a lot of money. :) Actual digital licenses cost a few hundred pounds however carriage (with the multiplex operator) can cost £10,000s depending on how well you can haggle. There's then the usual music licences, etc.

Bridge FM, Heartland and RNA time-share on the access channel. I've got a feeling we would not be able to get in on that agreement as a cost reduction measure.

The coverage from the top of the union on previous RSLs was good for most of the town. However, there were certain pockets of poor coverage (e.g. Gatty / Albany Park). The single site restriction was the reason I didn't suggest it was a good site, not coverage of the town. We would not get a licence for a single building as for long term RSLs we cannot recognise any audience offsite. The quad / library area could be another contender if we could define a continuous "site" from the various university buildings.

As for low power AM coverage, take VRN (Kirkcaldy as an example). The signal is good well into Glenrothes and occasionally listenable in Dunfermline. They've not exactly got the best site in the town either...

And for all out roundness... commercial licences are out of the question (Ofcom ain't advertising them any more), satellite costs way too much and we have to wait for the next round (if there is one) for a community licence. Though on the community one, we'd have a hard time proving St. Andrews has a community neglected by the commercials.
allday_dj

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board