Home

TheSinner.net

anyone need me to perform a marriage ceremony?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

anyone need me to perform a marriage ceremony?!

Postby strikethepose on Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:59 pm

i am now an officially ordained minister!
http://www.ulc.org/

[hr]lalala
BOROMIR: Don't call me an idiot, dork.
LEGOLAS: This is no mere dork. This is your King. And my boyfriend.
Silence as entire COUNCIL stares at ARAGORN and LEGOLAS.
ARAGORN: (in Elvish) Great, Legolas. Just great.
strikethepose

Re:

Postby Cain on Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:22 pm

You can start a church with that. how exceptionally cool. with a ministry in a box. like cheese in a can, only not.

i don't need any marriage ceremonies performed, and nightline will do confessions, but if i ever need an exorcism done...

that is, unless i create my own church and lead a reformation against you. in years from now open day guides will point to the cobbles outside the quad that crudely spell strikethepose.

best wishes with your new religion. at least, until the Cainanites get their act together
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby strikethepose on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:33 am

holy banana batman!
i need a religion...hmmm...im gonna have to think about the rules, then ill think about recruits...

[hr]lalala
BOROMIR: Don't call me an idiot, dork.
LEGOLAS: This is no mere dork. This is your King. And my boyfriend.
Silence as entire COUNCIL stares at ARAGORN and LEGOLAS.
ARAGORN: (in Elvish) Great, Legolas. Just great.
strikethepose

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:29 am

I think thats terrible. I don't see how that can represent anything remotely to do with God, or how a ministry that ordains ANYONE can represent genuine leadership and spiritual counselling.

[hr] In high school, I was the class comedian as opposed to the class clown. The difference is, the class clown is the guy who drops his pants at the football game, the class comedian is the guy who talked him into it.
-- Billy Crystal
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Wong on Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:48 am

Well said, Mr Comedy... ready-made, mass-produced ministry.

Still, I'll remember your name, STP.

[hr]And I see the lies and I hear the cries
And the marching of the people
As they go to war, Heaven knows what for
God, I think I've had enough now
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:54 am

[s]Mr Comedy wrote on 04:29, 20th Apr 2003:
I think thats terrible. I don't see how that can represent anything remotely to do with God, or how a ministry that ordains ANYONE can represent genuine leadership and spiritual counselling.

It's got me! What more do you want?

[hr]
"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Re:

Postby La Jouissance on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:10 am

I can also confess to being a Minister of the Universal Life Chuch, Modesto CA, having been ordained in 1998. One of my friends who took it marginally too seriously asked me to preside over his wedding, but luckily they've decided not to go ahead. I thought I might have to send away for the ministry in a box.

I'm not sure if it still happens, but it used to be the case that if you got 50 other people to become ministers, you became a living saint. I got to 8 I think...
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:25 pm

[s]La Jouissance wrote on 12:10, 20th Apr 2003:

I'm not sure if it still happens, but it used to be the case that if you got 50 other people to become ministers, you became a living saint. I got to 8 I think...

My brother takes Religious and moral philosophy at glasgow uni, and one of his tutorials was on sainthood. The tutor was going through the list of ways to be a saint and came to bi-locality: appearing in two places at once.

so my brother asked "What's the script with that? when you're in two places at once can you just be chilling, or do you have to do something?"

"virtue is implied" was the reply.

But how cool would it be to be a saint. and not a living saint like that girl in a coma who heals people; it's not good for her.

I can understand why people have problems with others being ordained without any sort of work going into it, but it does mean that the church is very inclusive, even more so because its pretty non-denominational.

if i were to sign up, how would i reference somebody as referring me, so that i could boost their saint counter?
Cain

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:31 pm

I agree with Comedy.

It sounds more like an organisation exploiting a legal loophole - thereby allowing people with no credentials to obtain this "qualification" and use it for fraudulent purposes.

How can a church that that accepts any religious or spiritual belief possibly lead its congregation anywhere if it cannot agree on even the most basic things?

I would also have to ask what an ordainment means if all you have to do to obtain it is click on a link and print a certificate? The answer has to be nothing, surely.

It is only my opinion, but I feel the ULC is a very dangerous organisation.
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:42 pm

Its only dangerous if people take it seriously. I doubt that anyone with some amount of faith is going to seek out an ULC approved minister to perform their services/marriages etc.

It's just a dumb site that doesn't really mean anything to those who could find it offensive like that site that conned people into "buying" a plot on the moon.

Note: this msg will appear later as an unreg user cause muggins here hit return :|
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:59 pm

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's just a bit of fun, and some people are taking the whole thing way too seriously. As Cola Cube says - very few people would seek to be married by a ULC minister. Not least because it wouldn't be a legal marriage in the UK unless the ULC minister was also either a) a Church of Scotland minister b) ordained in the Church of England or c) a registrar.

And what other important services are there? Baptism? Anyone who has been baptised can baptise.

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Symbolism

Postby Iris on Sun Apr 20, 2003 1:51 pm

Can you do Pagan weddings? :)
Iris

Re:

Postby Wong on Sun Apr 20, 2003 2:05 pm

The head of Apogee Software is legally the Pope of the Church of the Dopey Fish.

[hr]And I see the lies and I hear the cries
And the marching of the people
As they go to war, Heaven knows what for
God, I think I've had enough now
No tree has branches so foolish as to fight among themselves
Wong

Re:

Postby TheGamesMaster on Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:40 pm

[s]Wong wrote on 15:05, 20th Apr 2003:
The head of Apogee Software is legally the Pope of the Church of the Dopey Fish.

Sweet, now the question is now many people know what you are talking abut?
TheGamesMaster

Re:

Postby Cain on Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:10 pm

[s]Wong wrote on 15:05, 20th Apr 2003:

is there a renegade or illegal pope of the Church of the Dopey Fish?

A schism for a made up religion. how very cool.
Cain

Re:

Postby Buzzboy on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:08 pm

Why is this faith any more stupid than any of the others?

I think a faith that practices total tolerance of beliefs and promotes free-thinking is a good idea.

All you religious types is just plain scared of what you don't understand. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about things like evolution and stuff.

NER!
Buzzboy

Buzzboy

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:22 pm

I don't really want to get into a long and drawn out argument on religion, but I feel I should least try and back up my previous post.

A minister is there to offer a pastoral role to his congregation and offer spiritual support and counselling to his people. If they have no single doctrine and everyone has differing beliefs on how to do everything the result is unstructured chaos!

Also, this religion is not the most selective on the planet recruiting for ministerial positions... "no commitment and responsibility necessary" is a selling point!!!

Yes, free thinking and tolerence in society is a good thing. But surely the best way to embrace this is through a tolerant multi-faith society?

I'm honestly not scared as you say by the heresy of the ULC or other things such as evolution. I'm aware of all these things and I still choose to believe in God.
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:46 am

good call
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby immunodiffusion on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:44 am

[s]Mr Melville 1997 wrote on 00:22, 21st Apr 2003:
A minister is there to offer a pastoral role to his congregation and offer spiritual support and counselling to his people. If they have no single doctrine and everyone has differing beliefs on how to do everything the result is unstructured chaos!

What about Quakers? They have no ministers or priests, and no outward dogma or doctrine that everyone has to sign up to. Are Quakers unstructured chaos?
immunodiffusion

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:35 am

No because Quakers still have common beliefs amongst them which unite the body.
Mr Melville 1997

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board