Home

TheSinner.net

60+ students occupy uni building in protest

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: 60+ students occupy uni building in protest

Postby careba2010 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 am

So they are still there then. Protests only work if people pay atterntion to it. SO where are the massed ranks of the media? Oh wait a cat may of died in Leuchars
careba2010

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 am

munchingfoo wrote:Shouldn't the University just call the police to remove them?

Why? They're not breaking the law, the university agreed to the students being there.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 am

Frank wrote:Let's nip along and show the situation is more complex.

The extent to which the organisers of this know the complexity of the situation is something you'd ascertain by meeting and talking with them, rather than judging from behind a computer screen.

Frank wrote:ALSO, WHY FORK OUT FOR SCHOLARSHIPS BASED PURELY ON THE RESULT OF THE CONFLICT? WHERE ARE THE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR EVERY OTHER HARD-DONE-BY GROUP ON THE PLANET!?

The events in Gaza are recent, catastrophic and vastly disproportional. It deserves attention from students who want to help. Of course there are other recent and catastrophic conflicts but you can't expect one group of students to fight everyone's battle. If you think citizen X should have scholarship then that's for another group or another time. Otherwise it's just impractical.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:09 am

Garnet wrote:I think the protesters would probably like it to escalate.

That's just a narrow-minded view of the stereotypical politically active student who revels in troublemaking. That is not at all what this is about. The occupation is a relatively small inconvenience to the University and more symbolic, no trouble can really be said to have been caused. This is something the University has acknowledged.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 am

Duggeh wrote:Best thing the university can do is completely ignore them.

Why?

Move classes and events to take place there to other venues.

No class or events are scheduled for a week.

If you ignore the screaming child, they eventually calm down. Make sure to cut off the electricity to the room too, or else bill the ringleaders for their consumption afterwards.

Besides how inappropriate it would be to ignore the voices of 70 odd students and staff overall, the students have shown their commitment to the occupation. They have stated their intention to stay indefinitely, and they will until they are satisfied that things have changed significantly. The university is currently happy for the students to be in the hall so there is no need for the 'ringleaders' to be billed, nor would cutting the electricity be very diplomatic or necessary in any way.

Postby jequirity on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 am

careba2010 wrote:So they are still there then. Protests only work if people pay atterntion to it. SO where are the massed ranks of the media? Oh wait a cat may of died in Leuchars

Did the cat commit suicide?
jequirity

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am

KerryFlett wrote:I don't have many major issues with what they ask, but
a) They way things are worded seems a bit aggressive (I've always been 'radical but not active' if that doesn't seem counterintuitive)

You'd have to be more specific because there are no 'aggressive' words written or implied. You may be confusing forthrightness with hostility. Communications between both sides have always been amicable.

b) If the uni did end their contracts with these companies (eg Eden water) it would be ordinary workers that would suffer, not the people who are really hurting innocent civilians in Gaza (i.e. the Israeli government)

The bigger picture is both the systematic injustice directed at the Palestinian people and the fact that water is being stolen. A few workers losing their jobs is ultimately overshadowed.

This isn't going to work. The university isn't good at doing what people tell it to, especially its students. All this will do is give the university an excuse to say what uppity selfish pseudo-radicals we are (as if Brian Lang hadn't slandered us enough). If they don't care about the longer term effect on students of things like rent increases (essentially excluding poorer students before they even get here)* which are closer to home, then they're hardly going to be persuaded by 1% of the student body cramming into a hall.

Currently, the university is meeting the students on many points - so much for it not working. It doesn't matter what the university, or anyone, says we are - only that the right thing is done for victims of the Gaza crisis and things are put in place to prevent future injustice.

I couldn't go in. I might be politically radical, but I've never been a 'direct action' sort of person. I'm too scared of standing out, I'd rather be radical in a quiet, backround sort of way.

If all people were like that then nothing will ever be done. At least that is the typical leftist view.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:25 am

Haunted wrote:It's been a while since there was a good protest I suppose. Let them have their fun.

It's not about fun.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am

Hennessy wrote:
munchingfoo wrote:Shouldn't the University just call the police to remove them?

Call the SAS to remove them. Attention-seeking know-it-alls.

Calling attention to a just cause and asking for action whilst having the collective knowledge to engage with the university at large...your problem is what exactly?

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 am

I was speaking with janitors today and they said there are no events taking place in Lower College Hall until next Wednesday- so it's likely the Uni will ignore them until they get bored.

Again, that's not the action the uni is taking. Bad call.

It's kinda funny.

What is? The fact that the students on the street/uni staff/groups of people all over the country/media are showing overwhelming support and interest in the occupation and the issues it raises despite the ill-conceived, rampantly inaccurate knee-jerk reaction of people too lazy to remove themselves from the comfort of internet anonymity to engage with the students involved rather than spout cowardly baseless opinions on TheSinner? Yes it is funny, it's laughably pathetic.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:37 am

What? wrote:
Cain wrote:Do they appreciate the irony of occupying territory to support Palestine?

That made me chuckle. They probably don't.

Wrong again.

What obligation does the University have to provide them with electricity, heat and toilet facilities? At the very least I hope those concerned are billed for it, as I don't want what the Scottish Executive pays for my tuition to pay for it.

They agree to those demands so the Uni obviously thinks that these should be provided. The bills are not our responsibility. If the Uni were to deny these to us it would not only reflect very badly on them but it would also be unnecessarily hostile and a breach of human rights.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:43 am

Al wrote:This protest will achieve nothing to aid the people of Gaza. I doubt that Israel will be brought to its knees should the University of St Andrews cave in to the demands of those heroic students manning the barricades by sleeping over at LCH.

This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding on what this occupation entails. Does your own hyperbole not indicate that of course the students don't expect action on that intergovernmental level, but realistic changes can be met by the Uni here. Besides, what is to say that this protest and the 23 other similar protests by universities up and down the country can't have a real effect on the situation?

something that actually matters in St Andrews. Like lower accommodation costs.

Yes, helping the homeless and horrifically suffering victims of a war-torn nation is clearly less important than a student paying less for a room in Fife Park.

all their activities as troublemaking?

As soon as any trouble is made, you let me know. So far the uni doesn't acknowledge anything as causing trouble.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:48 am

exnihilo wrote:Though, on the other hand, I hope this "protest" goes on for a good long time and the idiots who are involved end up missing enough classes to get hoofed off their course.

How is this a "protest"? It is a protest. No one is missing classes and even if they did I doubt any lecturer would kick them off their course no matter how much you idiotically hope for it.

I certainly hope that other groups with bees in their bonnets don't take RedCelt's advice and emulate this in the future, because that can only lead to the university hiring more security, becoming more restrictive and more hostile towards the students - just what's needed.

None of the security/staff involved have been hostile or even bothered about the action at LCH. Many of them have been entirely supportive.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am

creepy old man wrote:why does the university need to condemn Israel, or to declare support for Palestinians?

It doesn't. This is not biased. It is simply a reaction to the victimised nation of PEOPLE. It wouldnt matter who the uni had ties with solong as the victims are addressed.

Protests here are not very well attended.

Not true. Though comparatively other uni's attendance at protests are larger, St Andrews is comparatively smaller.

the environment is so exclusive, self-congratulatory and frustratingly ideological.

None of this could be father from the truth and reality of St Andrews' politically motivated students. I clearly don't know your past experience but I would encourage you to discuss this with current committee members for the respective groups because it is certainly and demonstrably NOT the actual nature of ANY political society here in St Andrews.

Postby annon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 am

They must all be art students... who else has this much free time from doing a Degree to lay about in Lower Collage Hall, watch TV, leave for fire drills at 7am, reply "No" when asked to leave and then update a blog all day long! Get a life!
annon

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 am

777 wrote:Having looked at the "occupation" photos on flickr, they hardly look riveted do they?

Baseless opinion. You have not been involved. You are not in a position to establish interest in this occupation, which is incidentally staggering. Which should be evident but you will naturally resist in an effort to be unreasonably negative.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:59 am

RandomMusings wrote:
In truth though, I think there are a number of good points made in this thread

No there aren't. Not in the opinions of people who are in a position to back up their comments.[/quote]

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:03 pm

careba2010 wrote:So they are still there then. Protests only work if people pay atterntion to it. SO where are the massed ranks of the media? Oh wait a cat may of died in Leuchars

I'm sorry are you up-to-date with EVERY media response to this situation? Or were you expecting to see this on the evening news? The media has been present and supportive, from local to national news outlets. A release from the protesters on their blog would be the best place to expect a summary of press but I can't guarantee that.

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm

I think I speak for everyone when I say 'we' want to find out more about this cat in leuchars! I am also thinking about occupying the Union bar until 'we' find out more, enjoying free food from Beatons and making lots of ridiculous demands like star wars kid for freshers week 2009.

I demand the University cuts all ties with Phil Collins.

Postby 777 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:30 pm

The irony of "Guest" fighting nobly for a cause yet not having the courage of his/her convictions to use his/her own name.

One outcome of this is that my water brand of choice from now on is Eden Springs.
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board