Home

TheSinner.net

The Halcyon days of St Andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Halcyon days of St Andrews

Postby Morgenhund on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:13 pm

I am in nostaglia mode... Does anyone hark for the days of the Mercat Centre (where Boots took over!), the All-Night Bakery, the days when La Posada was actually Cantley and Caithness (lawyers)... When No.1 Golf Place was the Niblick (pre McSnodleys!), the Jahangir was Route 66, Lafferty's was Bert's Bar, Ciao Roma! was the Babur... Amazing to think that was only 8 years ago... I've just been watching Chariots of Fire again!
Morgenhund

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:24 pm

I hark for the days when Bert's Bar was the Criterion.

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:50 pm

Geez... I'm in 6th year and you guys make me feel young! Keep talking!

Does the Union still do the "chunder bus" that took some of my mates home in my first year - you know the big van with plastic seat covers that took you back to Hall when you were too pissed to stand. I haven't heard of it since.

PS: Forgot to log in so it will appear twice
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Sun Apr 20, 2003 11:59 pm

yep, one of my mates ended up in it last week. silly girl

[hr]"We can't condone your violent motives so we'll have to force ourselves to forget they exist."
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:18 am

Wow, is the chunder bus still going? I honestly haven't heard of it since early 1998.

I guess my funniest memory of st andrews in the old days happened in the Melville Ball during the 97-98 session. These days we had the the Hall Ball held in Melville. A certain resident in my corridor of C Block constructed a home made bazooka out of very large tins and a hell of a lot of lighter fluid.

He then used to it fire a cabbage at New Hall from his C Block window but apparently used too much lighter fluid and you could here the bang in the middle of town. C-Block got stormed by security and there was a big police investigation afterwards. Madness.
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Anon. on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:47 am

[s]Mr Melville 1997 wrote on 01:18, 21st Apr 2003:
Wow, is the chunder bus still going? I honestly haven't heard of it since early 1998.

I was a passenger after a free Guinness night last year.
Anon.

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:51 am

[s]Anon. wrote on 01:47, 21st Apr 2003:
[s]Mr Melville 1997 wrote on 01:18, 21st Apr 2003:[i]

I was a passenger after a free Guinness night last year.
[/i]

Well, given I've seen you outside the union on your hands and knees on the pavement at closing time, and have helped carry your ever-so-slightly enebriated self from the north haugh to Melville, I'm not in the least surprised Mr Renouf!!! Did they give you a multi-ride pass?
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:53 am

I've got a loyalty card for ninewells hospital!
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby James Baster on Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:14 am

[s]Al wrote on 23:24, 20th Apr 2003:
I hark for the days when Bert's Bar was the Criterion.

Wheres Bert's Bar then?
James Baster

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:15 am

[s]Unregisted User Morgenhund wrote on 23:11, 20th Apr 2003:
Lafferty's was Bert's Bar,

Just for you James :)

[hr]
“Master Took, I hear you do a very good, or at least passable, Freddie Mercury, and since Galadriel is indisposed, would you oblige us with Bohemian Rhapsody?”
http://bagenders.stormpages.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:51 pm

Does anyone else remember Greasy Joe's chippy? A forgotten outpost of the PM empire.

And I can remember the days when the Red Reiver was just a hole in the ground. Of course, now it's just a hole.

[hr]"Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world."
Al

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:08 pm

[s]Al wrote on 13:51, 21st Apr 2003:
Does anyone else remember Greasy Joe's chippy? A forgotten outpost of the PM empire.

that was on greyfriars garden yeh?

wrt to the original post, la possada isnt la possada anymore!!

[hr]
american eyes,
american eyes,
view the world from american eyes.
bury the past, rob us blind
and leave nothing behind.
niall

Re:

Postby Emma on Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:13 pm

I know someone who worked at PM's third chippy, and people who worked at the restaurant that was there before Ciao Roma.

I'm waiting for Barry Joss to pop up on this thread.
Emma

Re:

Postby Dave on Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:36 pm

I long for the days of JT's and the all powerful "Bid Daddy" burger.

And Greasy Joe's was on Market St where Cafe Carmine was until it stopped being that and became an arcade (or something like that)
Dave

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:40 pm

well, what was the name of the downstairs chippie on greyfriars gardens? i htink a hair salon is there now instead.

[hr]american eyes,
american eyes,
niall

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:11 pm

I don't ever remember there being a chippie on Greyfriars Gardens.

Al

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:35 pm

i do, tho this was before i came here, it would be almost 8 years ago i think.

[hr]american eyes,
american eyes,
niall

Re:

Postby David Bean on Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:08 pm

What I want to know is, whatever happened to the Merchant's House?
Of a weekend my father and I often used to come to St. Andrews and have lunch then, and it was wonderful; it always did good business, and even back in those days, hoping to come to St. Andrews to study, I looked forward to hanging out there with my friends. But then they converted it into some dire, over-priced hut called 'Inn Town at the Merchant's House' (as though to imply that they suddenly had multiple restaurants under the same roof), and we never went there again; now the place seems to have vanished without a trace.

So does anyone know what the place is now (I have a feeling it was on South Street), and what happened to it?
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby jennyo on Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:43 pm

[s]David Bean wrote on 20:08, 21st Apr 2003:
What I want to know is, whatever happened to the Merchant's House?
they converted it into some dire, over-priced hut called 'Inn Town at the Merchant's House'

(I have a feeling it was on South Street)

I remember going to it when it was Inn Town thingy in first year (1999) -- it was on South St across from the Byre -ish
Horrible food, glad it's disappeared!
Do those under a risk of death by metor run some thus-far indefinite risk of longrun meteorisation?
- David Bean
jennyo

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:21 pm

"i do, tho this was before i came here, it would be almost 8 years ago i think."

I presume you mean the hair salon at the town end of the street because Sophie Butler's used to be a book shop. The other hair salon can't have been a chippie very long though.

"So does anyone know what the place is now (I have a feeling it was on South Street), and what happened to it?"

It was indeed on South Street. I can vaguely remember, I think, it being sold.

Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board