Home

TheSinner.net

F'n Fire Drills

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: F'n Fire Drills

Postby Delts on Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:08 pm

By the end of my time in DRA I was almost sleeping right through them. I think I only had about 4 or 5 as well.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Traveller on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:47 pm

James.C. wrote:yeah, i can remember in new hall in my first year (two years ago now) that in one week we had 2 or 3 fire alarms as people were drunkenly coming in and deciding it would be hilarious to set them off. very very annoying, the scheduled ones were slightly annoying but they have to be done so i can't see why you can complain.

If an unscheduled alarm results in a successful evacuation of the building, then they don't have to schedule another drill that term. On the other hand, if the unscheduled alarm revealed problems with getting everyone out, then an additional drill might be needed.
Traveller

Postby James.C. on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Traveller wrote:
James.C. wrote:yeah, i can remember in new hall in my first year (two years ago now) that in one week we had 2 or 3 fire alarms as people were drunkenly coming in and deciding it would be hilarious to set them off. very very annoying, the scheduled ones were slightly annoying but they have to be done so i can't see why you can complain.

If an unscheduled alarm results in a successful evacuation of the building, then they don't have to schedule another drill that term. On the other hand, if the unscheduled alarm revealed problems with getting everyone out, then an additional drill might be needed.

Wasn't aware of this, i swear we had one afterward anyway...might have been used as some form of so called punishment however, can't remember.
James.C.

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure using fire drills when people are asleep as a form of punishment would be torture.

UNCAT Article 1
1. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby KJF on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 pm

@gemsaph-I definitely remember that; especially that one guy having to get out of the shower for a fire alarm twice in one day! I was lucky to have been in Wardlaw first semester, but I was in Lumsden for sem 2...yikes! In Uni Hall, if people aren't out within the requisite 3 (5?) minutes, we get another drill, an hour earlier-drills are usually at seven, so it could be at six the next morning, though I don't think our warden's used that yet. Drills can be at 2 or 3 a.m. in the summer though (assuming my memory serves me right). Our alarm went off this morning (thankfully at quarter to eight), I forgot to reset my alarm when I went back to bed. I slept right through untill eleven o'clock, when I *should* have been studying for my Scottish essay. Oops.
KJF

Postby lapetitegecko on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Ah, the fire drills!

When I first became an office slave after graduation, the company's weekly alarm test made me properly homesick. Now it just makes me smile fondly.
lapetitegecko

Postby jollytiddlywink on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:38 pm

bbp07 wrote:Why oh why must the university's DRA put us through hell at 700am with a fire drill!!!!!! I know it must be for insurance reasons or some shit like that. But seriously if we can't get ourselves up and out of the dorm when an alarm goes off then maybe we shouldn't be away from mommy and daddy in the first place. After all I think it makes me desensitized to it anyway. I layed in bed for a good minute or two this morning when DRA had its f'n fire drill. I figured it was the Tuesday alarm test, but when it didn't go off, I slowly got dress and made my way out into the cold morning air. I thought about not going... what could they do about it... I'm moving out of here this weekend anyway. Thank God! But then I decided that I must go for the .0000000001% doubt that I had that it was the real deal. And I can never get back to sleep afterwards. I lay their pissed off that they are treating us like we're 5 and that they choose to do the f'n drill before sunrise... every f'n time! And that they choose to test the alarm every f'n tuesday at 9am... nevermind those that may still be sleeping! This morning I saw a girl that decided to go for a morning run instead of participate in the drill... You're my hero! and I wished I would have thought of that too... that is, if I was a morning person, I would rather run at 2am than move before 8am. : ) Thanks for letting me vent.

Does anyone feel this way or have any thoughts or anything to add?

Cheers.

Poor you! Somebody is trying to make sure you won't die in the event of a real fire, how awful! Please note that everyone in uni accommodation (with the possible exception of Fife/Albany Park) puts up with similar things, often at worse times in the night, like the ones at 4:30am in Regs. And please also note that if the alarm went off at 7:00am, that IS dawn at this time of year, so your suggestion that is is "before sunrise" is wrong. And please do realize that not everything in life will always make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. There are worse things in the world than being made to get out of your bed at 7:00am. Grow up.
jollytiddlywink

Postby bbp07 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:51 pm

Poor you! Somebody is trying to make sure you won't die in the event of a real fire, how awful! Please note that everyone in uni accommodation (with the possible exception of Fife/Albany Park) puts up with similar things, often at worse times in the night, like the ones at 4:30am in Regs. And please also note that if the alarm went off at 7:00am, that IS dawn at this time of year, so your suggestion that is is "before sunrise" is wrong. And please do realize that not everything in life will always make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. There are worse things in the world than being made to get out of your bed at 7:00am. Grow up.

I never clamed that there aren't worse things in life or that life isn't all warm and fuzzy. NO SHIT SHERLOCK! I have a right to voice my opinion, you don't have to read it or respond, or agree... but thanks for doing so :P . oh and thanks for you 4:30am comment.... way to one up my 7am... even though it all relative anyway. :D

I was venting about something that makes others just as annoyed. It doesn't mean that we don't understand the reasoning. It means that we are annoyed by it. Its no different then bitching about the traffic, which people do all the time. And you're bitching at me for venting about somthing annoying... how grow up is that! It was very "grow up" of you to assume that I thought I was the only one that "puts up with similar things" or that I don't realize that "not everything in life will always make you feel warm and fuzzy inside" or that I don't know that "there are worse things in the world than being made to get out of your bed at 7am" or that I am not "grow up". All of your assumptions are utterly wrong, and if a friend said that I would be balling my eyes out, but given the fact that we don't know each other... I really don't care what you think, but would like to correct... for fun. :P

If you don't like what I said... Fine, thats your opinion, your right. But don't attack my character when you don't know me and you don't know in what attitude my comment was made. I was venting, in jest, much like what people will do with friends, laughing and bitching about it for fun. A lot of what people say via the computer doesn't express the right attitude and therefore you should not make such judgements without knowing the real deal to but it in context. :D

Maybe next time I'll add more smiley faces :)
bbp07

Postby James.C. on Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:47 am

munchingfoo wrote:I'm pretty sure using fire drills when people are asleep as a form of punishment would be torture.

UNCAT Article 1
1. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

probably, as i said, i couldn't really remember, can't remember the justification for having a fire dill after the one which was set off.
James.C.

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board