Home

TheSinner.net

hey macgamer how is the catholic church NOT medieval and hor

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: hey macgamer how is the catholic church NOT medieval and hor

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:11 pm

the Empress wrote:I perfectly understand where you're coming from: patriarchy. You have failed to reply to *my* point, in which you partially blamed the child's mother for the rape.

Indeed I did say that the mother had some responsibility for the rape, since she allowed such a man into her home. Granted she might not have know that the rape was taking place, but she should have been more careful in choosing people she allowed brought in.

You have failed to contextualise the case; the kid may very well have died if that pregnancy had come to term.

Possibly, however that is not certain especially if a caesarian section was attempted. What is certain is that the twins died.

You're saying that the life of a woman is less than the potential future life of a child and that they should have no rights over their own body.

Not at all, you are misinterpreting my words. Read what I'm saying objectively. If they are both human persons they have equal worth. The issue of women's rights over their bodies, is as I keep saying, in conflict if unborn children are considered human persons.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:08 pm

If birthing a child will kill the woman, and you force her into labour, then you are saying the potential life of a child is greater than her's. Not equal.

You are also confusing chance with responsibilty. There is a chance that anyone may attack you; because someone chooses to attack you does not mean it is your *fault*.
Last edited by the Empress on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the Empress

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Haunted wrote:No, the DNA within may be of human origin, but so is the DNA in the mucus I sneeze out from time to time.

I sense deja vu, DNA on its own is not a human person. A zygote is in a state of development as children are.

And this is still an imprecise method of human labelling. As humans, we all have different genes that give rise to different characteristics, e.g. dark skin, different eye-lids, hair colour etc. Where the line is drawn between species is still arbitrary.

Quite dangerous idea that. I could decide I don't know that people with a certain level of skin pigmentation are a different species and so not afforded human rights, which I grant members of my species, since they are not the same species.

Oh come on I had a whole paragraph here about expression that was worth a response. You are doing a great job of making my point that it is impossible to define when non-life becomes life, unless you interpret things as a gradual development i.e. precisely what it is.

I stated my preference of the genome assembly and then the initiation of gene expression. You've heard plenty about what I think on this matter. How about you make the case for your definition, bearing in mind the problem of arbitrariness.

I say such an attitude is immoral, whether they serve us or not should not enter into the question of whether it is moral to protect them.

Make your case, state your proofs.

Considering the distruption and destruction that humans are causing to the ecosystems globally, I'd argue that these problems are a symptoms of are above nature if you like it or expressed in a different fashion no longer being controlled by ecological controls which affect every other animal. Humans do not seem to fit well in nature, which many cultures have seen as the condition of man.

Humans are a product of nature, a particularly good one in terms of ability to thrive. Ecosystems come and go all the time (granted, on longer timescales than we are currently experiencing) and you forget that survival of life is a constant struggle and that it is perfectly natural for entire species to go extinct due to the tenacity of another. As an aside, human expansion will be curbed by nature eventually (we are already about 2 billion people over the capacity of the planet and this is going to rise) whether that be through virus' or famines.

Mules.

Infertile hybrids.

Or peripatry or parapatry.

I'm open to the idea given sufficient evidence.

Mules, and yes, some of them are fertile.

They cannot sustain their population effectively. Also even in the case of fertile hybrids, they are quite often maladapted and cannot fill a viable niche.

Right,so at which exact point did the species change? If species are absolute then there must be one generation where one is different to the other. If species are not absolute then the change could've been gradual i.e. exactly what it is in nature, gradual change. My point has always been that 'species' are labelled arbitrarily. At large scales (in time) these look pretty easy to make but as we now know that life isn't fixed but is constantly in flux these labels become very blurry. The overlaps become significant.

Not necessarily in the case of allopatric speciation where one population becomes divided in to. The distribution of characteristics (e.g. skin, eye, hair colour) becomes shift to one or other of the possibilities because that is being selected for by that environment. Meanwhile the other part of the original population might be selected for something else. Over time these two populations that were one species become reproductively isolated. So there is a gradual change, but also a point which maybe be impossible to pin point distinctly when they are reproductively isolated and at which point speciation occurs.

A similar situation could arise in sympatric whereby a population becomes isolated within the same geographic area by filling two different niches due to competition pressures. These niches may cause temporal isolation or cultural isolation in the great apes. Whereby there is a gradual reduction in gene transfer to the point that the two populations interbreed rarely. Eventually over sufficient time these two populations acquire characteristics which make successful hybridisation impossible.

Which is why we are talking about this because us humans happen to overlap rather significantly with Chimps, Cro-Magnon and Homo Sapien Idaltu. Why aren't they persons? Where is absolute line? How many generations of your ancestors must we go back before you claim that your great great great great great great.............great great great grandmother was NOT HUMAN?

This is an interesting question, for which I do not have an full answer. In short I would say that we reserve personhood to homo sapiens. If these other species existed today perhaps we would extend personhood to them too. Consider what we do know: our offspring are human.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I laughed.

Reproductive isolation is used, but there are enough examples in nature to tell us that it only works for widely temporally separated lifeforms. As such it is insufficient to say that species are absolute and distinct because of this.

The majority of microorganism cannot be cultured, principally because we do not know the conditions of the minutes niches which they exploit. However that does not mean we have not identified a great diversity of different microbes. We do not just say there are all one species. Genetic sequence comparisons are made to differentiate between them.

No it does not, however this is meaningless because e.coli do not reproduce via sex.

Not in the classical sense, however they do employ sex pili through which plasmids are exchanged. They cannot do this with every microbe they encounter. So one would say that their are reproductively isolated from those microbes.

Coming up for a million yeas if it were human time scales. About the time homo erectus became extinct.

Quite conservative little beasties then, I like them. They are very useful in the lab too.

The starting population was a single cell, i.e. no diversity and bacteria, by definition, do not have mitochondria.
The number of generations in this experiment is determined pretty well because they counted them.

It will have been estimated surely, based on know generation times under various conditions.

The development of a human is a gradual process, there was just of as much of their ancestral DNA in the male as there was in the female. The embryo was not a product of the female, but the product of the forced introduction of male gametes into the female.

Human development is gradual but there is no transmutation of species in that development. Yes the sperm was forced into the female. However you would not retrospectively kill adults who were the products of rape.

However, what has dignity to do with existence? Is there dignity in being the cause of your mothers death? Also, from the 1948 UDHR:
"Article 1
All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."
Think that's significant? They don't bother to define explicitly what a human is but this is as close as they'll probably get.

It continues:
Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind.
Article 3
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
Article 6
Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.
Article 7
All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.[/quote]
So we only become persons when we leave the womb? Sounds arbitrary to me.

And I am advocating two counter positions.
1. That they are not human 'persons' (again trouble defining what you mean by this).
2. They are human life, but it is justifiable to kill humans in certain circumstances.
Both of which are easy to justify, maybe slightly less so the second when abortions are done for convenience rather than medical reasons. A caesarian still carries with it a risk to the mother, one that she should not have to take because of the situation that was forced upon her, she has been through enough.
(* I thought we moved it up to gene expression?)

I think the second position is more honest and would be very happy if the law in the UK and elsewhere adopted such an approach compared with the current situation. The second approach a least allows for debate as to the justification and for freedom of conscience.

Laicise =/= excommunication. Why has the Vatican tried to protect these priests? What would god have to say about all this?

No but Canon law has chosen to reserve excommunication for the most serious of transgressions, abortion being one of them. On matters of faith and morals the Church is infallible, however mistakes can be made in executing justice and administering dioceses and sanctioning priests. The Church is made up of people who sin, this is a prime example of why Jesus' sacrifice was needed.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
macgamer

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:21 pm

the Empress wrote:If birthing a child will kill the woman, and you force her into labour, then you are saying the potential life of a child is greater than her's. Not equal.

Every endeavour should be made to save the mother's life short of deliberately and intentionally killing the unborn child. If one's endeavours to save the mother's life result in the death of the child then that is an unfortunate and regrettable consequence. However there is crucial difference in that one has not intended to kill the child in order to save the mother's life.
macgamer

Postby Senethro on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:25 pm

If you deliberately and intentionally don't abort the pregnancy you're still killing her.
Senethro

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:34 pm

macgamer wrote:
the Empress wrote:If birthing a child will kill the woman, and you force her into labour, then you are saying the potential life of a child is greater than her's. Not equal.

Every endeavour should be made to save the mother's life short of deliberately and intentionally killing the unborn child. If one's endeavours to save the mother's life result in the death of the child then that is an unfortunate and regrettable consequence. However there is crucial difference in that one has not intended to kill the child in order to save the mother's life.

Where is the mother coming into this moral equation?
A: 'Hi, so this baby has a 99% chance of killing you.'
B: 'OK, I'd like to abort it.'
A: 'Um, no. You can't.'
B: 'But, um, I like living.'
A: *jazz hands* '1% chance of living!'
B: 'No really.'
A: 'We're too indecisive. We can't choose between you and the baby.'
B: 'That's OK. *I* choose *me*.'
A: 'Ah, this priest guy you've never met? He says no.'
B: 'Oh, well, if *he* says no. That's *fine*.'
the Empress

Postby macgamer on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Senethro wrote:If you deliberately and intentionally don't abort the pregnancy you're still killing her.

To kill her intentionally or deliberately would require the person in question to have made her pregnant in the first place, in the full knowledge and hope that the resulting pregnancy would have such an effect. That person has otherwise no responsibility for the cause of her predicament.

the Empress wrote:Where is the mother coming into this moral equation?
A: 'Hi, so this baby has a 99% chance of killing you.'
B: 'OK, I'd like to abort it.'
A: 'Um, no. You can't.'
B: 'But, um, I like living.'
A: *jazz hands* '1% chance of living!'
B: 'No really.'
A: 'We're too indecisive. We can't choose between you and the baby.'
B: 'That's OK. *I* choose *me*.'
A: 'Ah, this priest guy you've never met? He says no.'
B: 'Oh, well, if *he* says no. That's *fine*.'

This moral dilemma is the same as (if the unborn child is considered a human person) conjoined twins, who at the adult stage, encounter a problem whereby their shared heart can no only provide for one of them. For any of them to survive one apparently must die.

Abortion is a solution a bit like, a doctor coming along with a revolver to the conjoined twins and saying 'right, one of you must die otherwise you both will die. Which one wants the bullet?'

Alternatively, an donor heart could be requested, an attempt could be made to transplant the donor heart into their bodies thereby relieving the pressure on the shared heart. In the attempt one or both of them might die, however neither of them have been killed.
macgamer

Postby Senethro on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 pm

At least you're consistently stupid. You're so concerned about committing a sin that you're completely unable to act like a decent person in this situation.

I told you that several posts ago!
VVVVVV
Last edited by Senethro on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senethro

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:45 pm

What is clear from all your responses is that you are incapable of engaging with the woman's predictiment. She is *alive*, fully sentient, has family, friends . . . if she doesn't abort the baby *she will die*. It's not Russian roulette, it's a no brainer. *Abort the baby*. It should be her *decision*. If you forced her to have the baby *you would have killed her*, because you have *denied* her treatment. *Do nothing* is *still a course of action*. But I can see further discussion with you is pointless.
the Empress

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Senethro wrote:
I told you that several posts ago!
VVVVVV

I know, but I'm writing an essay, and well, procrastinating.
the Empress

Postby Senethro on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:56 pm

You as well? I think procrastination may explain 67% of my sinner posts.
Senethro

Postby macgamer on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 am

Senethro wrote:At least you're consistently stupid. You're so concerned about committing a sin that you're completely unable to act like a decent person in this situation.

I'll take that as a complement, bless you ;) . Concern about sinning and acting with decency are two sides of the same coin.

the Empress wrote:What is clear from all your responses is that you are incapable of engaging with the woman's predictiment. She is *alive*, fully sentient, has family, friends . . . if she doesn't abort the baby *she will die*. It's not Russian roulette, it's a no brainer. *Abort the baby*. It should be her *decision*. If you forced her to have the baby *you would have killed her*, because you have *denied* her treatment. *Do nothing* is *still a course of action*.

I think that it is possible to have ethics which can be applied to every situation, based on an overriding principle in this case the inviolability of human life. I completely appreciate and understand the predicament, however to use the solution you suggest, conflicts with that overriding principle. For ethics to be consistent and objective its application cannot be pragmatic.

If abortion is allowed in the case of a risk to the mother's life how much of a risk does that have to be? Why need it be limited to physical effects? What about social or economic effects? Do you see that if the overriding principle inviolability of human life is not applied consistently then there is no good reason not to have abortion on demand.

But I can see further discussion with you is pointless.

I think we have reached a certain stumbling block. However I have enjoyed this debate, most instructive.
macgamer

Postby macgamer on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:06 am

the Empress wrote:I know, but I'm writing an essay, and well, procrastinating.

Senethro wrote:You as well? I think procrastination may explain 67% of my sinner posts.

I see there is a very real moral dimension, perhaps it would be unethical for me to continue on academic grounds. I too really should be doing some reading.
macgamer

Postby Thalia on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 am

macgamer wrote:If abortion is allowed in the case of a risk to the mother's life how much of a risk does that have to be? Why need it be limited to physical effects? What about social or economic effects? Do you see that if the overriding principle inviolability of human life is not applied consistently then there is no good reason not to have abortion on demand.

If i deem my foetus to not have the same rights as i do, to not be a human in the same capacity as i am, then i am perfectly justified to abort it, no matter what my reason for doing so is.

From a biological standpoint, breeding is a means of continuing our own genes, if i chose not to have my child then, really, you're lucking out because that's one less adult for your future child to compete with for potential partners.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby Jormungand on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:18 am

If abortion is allowed in the case of a risk to the mother's life how much of a risk does that have to be? Why need it be limited to physical effects? What about social or economic effects? Do you see that if the overriding principle inviolability of human life is not applied consistently then there is no good reason not to have abortion on demand.

If self-defense is allowed when your life is threatened, how much of a risk does there have to be? Why need it be limited to physical effects? What about social or economic effects? Do you see that if the overriding principle inviolability of human life is not applied consistently then there is no good reason not to be able to kill people whenever it's inconvenient.
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Haunted on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 am

macgamer wrote:Quite dangerous idea that. I could decide I don't know that people with a certain level of skin pigmentation are a different species and so not afforded human rights, which I grant members of my species, since they are not the same species.

So? Just because you happen to think something isn't 'a nice idea' doesn't mean it isn't true. Appeal to negative consequences. Besides, I think you'll find more than a few people who would already subscribe to such an idea without any discussion about species.
Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin%27s_Dangerous_Idea, good book.

I stated my preference of the genome assembly and then the initiation of gene expression. You've heard plenty about what I think on this matter. How about you make the case for your definition, bearing in mind the problem of arbitrariness.

Again though, 'gene expression' isn't a single event. Since you are going from non-human to human there must be some absolute step in the process where the digital transition is made. I am arguing for a more analogue process, there is no such thing as either/or with regards to humanity, just differing levels of the same thing. Levels that I would base on consciousness and mind alone. A baby is a higher human than single cell, a two year old that can identify itself is a higher human than a newborn. Back to the rain analogy, when it rains, when do you decide that it is heavy rain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain#Class ... nt_of_rain The short paragraph here makes my point.

Make your case, state your proofs.

Morality is not something that can be proved, we are not dealing with the scientific method when we speak of such things. But for this case I believe it is morally wrong to kill or maim without reason because I can empathise. It makes me uncomfortable to empathise with suffering, therefore I should seek to decrease suffering. (Is it Redcelt who is Mr. Everyoneisselfishunderneathitall?). I would also not like to live in a society that would tolerate or encourage the sort of personality who would take pleasure from inflicting suffering on others.
I'm open to the idea given sufficient evidence.

Here is a paper on the parapatric speciation of a grass http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1663 ... stractPlus
Parapatric is still like sympatric, with the daughter species filling a new niche that exists in the same location as the parent species.

They cannot sustain their population effectively. Also even in the case of fertile hybrids, they are quite often maladapted and cannot fill a viable niche.

Niches may need to exist in nature to be populated, but that doesn't dismantle my point. Why should these animals even be capable of interbreeding? Why can a horse and donkey successfully produce fertile offspring, yet a dog and a duck can't? (Erase mental image and continue). You give me the right tools and time and I can produce a population of mules. Also, mules were only example to my knowledge, there are others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canid_hybrid
http://www.messybeast.com/genetics/hybrid-mammals.html

Not necessarily in the case of allopatric speciation where one population becomes divided in to.

In two? Sure it does, if not more so. There will be one generation that goes one way and one that goes the other.
The distribution of characteristics (e.g. skin, eye, hair colour) becomes shift to one or other of the possibilities because that is being selected for by that environment. Meanwhile the other part of the original population might be selected for something else. Over time these two populations that were one species become reproductively isolated. So there is a gradual change, but also a point which maybe be impossible to pin point distinctly when they are reproductively isolated and at which point speciation occurs.

Literally "a point"? No. Speciation is not an 'event' as such but the culmination of a gradual shift. You seem in two minds about this, on the one hand your talking gradual change over time but then you speak of distinct points where something is suddenly changed. The points where species are defined, are defined by humans, and they aren't as easy to define as, say, atomic elements. At least with those there are simply fundamental units to work with. With species it would be like looking at a spectrum and trying to define where red began. Why there? Why not 0.01nm shorter? Why isn't that red? And so on.

A similar situation could arise in sympatric whereby a population becomes isolated within the same geographic area by filling two different niches due to competition pressures.

This is parapatric!
These niches may cause temporal isolation or cultural isolation in the great apes. Whereby there is a gradual reduction in gene transfer to the point that the two populations interbreed rarely. Eventually over sufficient time these two populations acquire characteristics which make successful hybridisation impossible.

Let's get back to why this is relevant. When talking about 'personhood' (again, whatever that is) why don't our ancestors have it? When did they first have it? Since you are taking an absolute position then there must have been one child that was human born to parents that were non-human? Did god have to wait until homo sapiens were sufficiently separated from the other apes to endow us with this 'personhood' so as to avoid difficult questions? Even then, he forgot about loose ends like Cro-Magnon and Homo sapien idaltu.

This is an interesting question, for which I do not have an full answer. In short I would say that we reserve personhood to homo sapiens/

Cro-Magnon is homo sapien. Homo sapien idaltu is a homo sapien.
If these other species existed today perhaps we would extend personhood to them too. Consider what we do know: our offspring are human.
Will our offspring always be human? What about the offspring of a vole, will they always be voles? Would you agree that voles only beget other voles? And surely 'personhood' is something that comes from on high does it not?

The majority of microorganism cannot be cultured, principally because we do not know the conditions of the minutes niches which they exploit. However that does not mean we have not identified a great diversity of different microbes. We do not just say there are all one species. Genetic sequence comparisons are made to differentiate between them.
I do not dispute this, but a genetic comparison is still a rough guide. Cro-Magnon, again, was a homo sapien.

Not in the classical sense, however they do employ sex pili through which plasmids are exchanged. They cannot do this with every microbe they encounter. So one would say that their are reproductively isolated from those microbes.

Plasmids should be thought of as separate from e.coli. Parasites almost, or maybe symbionts. The plasmid DNA gets a free ride in the e.coli and the e.coli may benefit from some of the genes transcribed off the plasmid. E.coli still reproduce via division.
It will have been estimated surely, based on know generation times under various conditions.

Granted, but a very reliable number nonetheless

Human development is gradual but there is no transmutation of species in that development. Yes the sperm was forced into the female. However you would not retrospectively kill adults who were the products of rape.

No, but I would like to retroactively help the young women. This is back to our different definitions of human life. I have no feelings for a small lump of cells, but plenty for a 9 year old girl who was just been raped.

So we only become persons when we leave the womb? Sounds arbitrary to me.

Exactly. About as arbitrary as saying that non-human magically becomes human upon the application of a transcriptase molecule to the genome of a zygote.

I think the second position is more honest and would be very happy if the law in the UK and elsewhere adopted such an approach compared with the current situation. The second approach a least allows for debate as to the justification and for freedom of conscience.

They both allow for reasoned debates. The first position is more tenable because of the nature of life, but since the law by it's very nature has to make arbitrary definitions (18 for drinking, 16 for sex etc) then I could live with the second position.

No but Canon law has chosen to reserve excommunication for the most serious of transgressions, abortion being one of them. On matters of faith and morals the Church is infallible, however mistakes can be made in executing justice and administering dioceses and sanctioning priests. The Church is made up of people who sin, this is a prime example of why Jesus' sacrifice was needed.

What part of the church is infallible if it populated with flawed sinners who are fallacying all over the place in the name of the church? what about Limbo, was that concept infallible?
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby gregory on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:09 pm

If one is a member of the Catholic Church, then one believes life begins from conception (thats another discussion, which is obv relevant but still a different discussion). If you consider the embryo as human life, being intrinsically valuable, just as you or I, then the destruction of such a life is certainly wrong? You may disagree with saying an embryo is a human life, or that that life is as valuable as you or I, but it is a valid argument based on the premises.

So, if one disagrees with these premises, one is not in communion. One is excommunicated. The only time someone would be formally excommunicated is in extraordinary circumstances - where it is a public scandal. Normally, women who have abortions knowing full well what that means with respect to membership of catholic communion are not formally excommunicated because it might be incredibly insensitive (which i think it is). I suspect that in the former case, of the girl, that it was very public, and may have set a precident for others to destroy their child - so the Church may have deemed it preferable to inform people that if they do procure an abortion then they are not in communion with the church - its up to them if they want to have one, but its against the catholic faith.

Excommunication is explained here, http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm
if you knowingly procure an abortion, knowing it will get you excommunicated then you can expect to be excommunicated http://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/Abortio2.htm

Put simply, if you know that abortion is the destruction of a human life, and you know that by procuring an abortion you will be excommunicated then it is to be expected. It isn't unreasonable. The doctors and mother are not in communion with the Church - that is what an excommunication is!
gregory

Postby Senethro on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:33 pm

oh ok so your religion considers it a good thing when young rape victims die due to childbirth related complications cool gods will and all i guess
Senethro

Postby Haunted on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:24 am

gregory wrote:If one is a member of the Catholic Church, then one believes life begins from conception

Until the man in the hat changes his mind
(thats another discussion, which is obv relevant but still a different discussion). If you consider the embryo as human life, being intrinsically valuable, just as you or I, then the destruction of such a life is certainly wrong? You may disagree with saying an embryo is a human life, or that that life is as valuable as you or I, but it is a valid argument based on the premises.

Hitler was awesome and infallible. Therefore the extermination of the jews was a good thing. It is a valid argument based on the premises
So, if one disagrees with these premises, one is not in communion. One is excommunicated.

I'm waiting for my letter notifying me of my excommunication.
The only time someone would be formally excommunicated is in extraordinary circumstances
Oh I see, no letter then? What about Blasphemy can I get done for that?
where it is a public scandal.

This is public right?
Normally, women who have abortions knowing full well what that means with respect to membership of catholic communion are not formally excommunicated because it might be incredibly insensitive (which i think it is).

But these women are committing premeditated murder!
I suspect that in the former case, of the girl, that it was very public, and may have set a precident for others to destroy their child - so the Church may have deemed it preferable to inform people that if they do procure an abortion then they are not in communion with the church - its up to them if they want to have one, but its against the catholic faith.

And we all criticise the church for being an outdated sexually deviant patriarchy, and life goes on.

Put simply, if you believe that abortion is the destruction of a human life

Fixed
and you know that by procuring an abortion you will be excommunicated then it is to be expected. It isn't unreasonable.

If you know that by whistling in my vicinity you will have your legs broken then it is to be expected. It isn't unreasonable.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Humphrey on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Does the Catholic Church have a public relations department?. If so they have been dropping the ball recently.

Couldn't one take the view that aborting the child is the lesser of two evils?. Putting the mother's life at risk isn't an acceptable risk in my opinion. If responsibility and blame is appropriated for the foetus's death, it should be upon the guy who raped the child in the first place. We encounter a complex 'moral landscape' in our lives and you have to be flexible depending on the facts of the situation. To do otherwise is extremely unjust as you are basically sacrificing the lives of others for your moral principles. Its also exceptionally morally distasteful to blame the girl for 'allowing' the rapist into her home. What kind of f**ked up reasoning is that?.

As regards papal infallibility, that great anglo-catholic Lord Acton said it best:

I cannot accept your canon that we are to judge Pope and King unlike other men with a favourable presumption that they did no wrong. If there is any presumption, it is the other way, against the holders of power, increasing as the power increases. Historic responsibility has to make up for the want of legal responsibility. Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority: still more when you superadd the tendency or certainty of corruption by authority. There is no worse heresy than that the office sanctifies the holder of it.
Humphrey

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board