Home

TheSinner.net

The second-greatest living Briton

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: The second-greatest living Briton

Postby Haunted on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Fawksie wrote:The Dawkins/Brown interview is almost unwatchable because the cunting camera keeps revolving round them. KEEP STILL!

You could be watching the raw unedited footage which has been uploaded to RD.net (and presumably youtube). I remember the televised version being a lot smoother.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Haunted on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:00 pm

the Empress wrote:NB I ended up watching loads of Richard Dawkin clips on Youtube the otherday . . . I was a bit disappointed by his prowess as an interviewer though. When he was interviewing Derren Brown, the latter seemed much sharper. As an interviewee Dawkin's pretty good, but he kept getting asked the same boring questions on the ones I watched. Anyone know of any really good interviews?

You're right, he isn't the best interviewer. Check out Four Horsemen. It's two hours long but you get a good discussion, especially from the Hitch (though it's a shame they didn't talk politics as I would like to see them disagree a bit more). I think they're all drinking as well.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3464694890
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Fawksie on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:13 pm

Haunted wrote:You could be watching the raw unedited footage which has been uploaded to RD.net (and presumably youtube). I remember the televised version being a lot smoother.

I watched whatever it was Dawkins put on his YouTube channel. How they could have smoothed out the fact that the cameraman kept walking in semicircles from one side to the other and back, about every minute or so, I'm not sure.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby Frank on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Fun stuff. I do hope Macgamer and Andy B take the time to watch it. not because I think they'll agree, but just beyond the fifty-minute mark Dawkins and Hitchens touch nicely on some of the points I'd tried (but was foiled by viscious machine-spirits) to expand on in the other thread. I certainly doubt it'd be mind-changing stuff, or perhaps even things they hadn't heard before, but it's well expressed and calmly stated.

In other news, I quite forgot: I attended a debate in Edinburgh (during the Festival) last year with Hitchens debating some Nor'n Irish chap from Cambridge Uni. It was a bit of a farce in terms of folks being inclined to rational debate (certainly the Nor'n Irish man was prone to typical, if entertaining, Paisely-esque ranting), but Hitchens is terrific to listen to.

Maybe not greatest living Briton, but he's certainly a compelling chap.
Frank

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Four pages and nobody mentions Isaac Newton?

For shame!
Mehmsy

Postby munchingfoo on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:29 pm

erm... how old is he exactly now?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Duggeh on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Mehmsy wrote:Four pages and nobody mentions Isaac Newton?

For shame!

Four pages you clearly didn't bother to actually read before loading the barrels of your critisism gun.
Duggeh

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board