Home

TheSinner.net

TB

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

TB

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:09 pm

I assume by now that everyone has read about the case of TB in a St Andrews student. In the e-mail, it says that if you have had an extended contact with the student then you should contact your GP. My question is, how would I know when I don't know which student it is?

Now, I know some smart arse at this point will be will be exploding with anticipation at posting the reply, "If you knew them well enough to share time with them then you'd know they had TB", I assume this is also the tack the Uni is taking. I however feel that this is ludicrous. Surely being in a small tutorial room for an hour with the infected person is enough to pass on the illness, particularly at this time of year when our immune system like to work overtime?

Whilst I wouldn't request that the Uni name the person involved, wouldn't it seem sensible to contact the department invovled and pass out more specific information? Perhaps they have done this, and just not informed everyone else. Surely then, it would be best to mention this so as not to scare the entire student group?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re: TB

Postby Delts on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 pm

Good sound advice there Foo, I hope the uni is doing what you said.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 pm

This has annoyed me too actually. I requested a bit more information from student support services, as I have an immune deficiency which makes me more susceptible and would also mask any symptoms I might have.

I appreciate they don't really want to name the student, but they didn't do anything except confirm what was written in the e-mail. This doesn't really help me in trying to work out how likely it is that I've been in contact with them.

:roll:
starsandsparkles

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Are TB jabs not universally provided in the UK these days? I appreciate that St Andrews has a sizeable population from outside of the UK, but... just curious to know what the procedure is these days. It was mandatory when I was a nipper.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:32 pm

RedCelt69 wrote:Are TB jabs not universally provided in the UK these days? I appreciate that St Andrews has a sizeable population from outside of the UK, but... just curious to know what the procedure is these days. It was mandatory when I was a nipper.

I think there was a stage when they became more lax with them as TB became very rare in the UK. Then it rose again so they started doing them again.

I don't know how effective they are. I know mine didn't work, but I don't know about "normal" people.
starsandsparkles

Postby Craig on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:34 pm

The email I received said "As a precaution, everyone at this stage considered to be a close contact of the student has been identified and has been offered screening for TB. " So, presumably, they've already told those deemed at risk. If you weren't informed, then it's unlikely you've had close contact.
Craig

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Craig wrote:The email I received said "As a precaution, everyone at this stage considered to be a close contact of the student has been identified and has been offered screening for TB. " So, presumably, they've already told those deemed at risk. If you weren't informed, then it's unlikely you've had close contact.

Could you name everyone you've sat near in the library for the past few weeks?
starsandsparkles

Postby David Bean on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 pm

Probably not, but then if that's your concern, knowing their name wouldn't help a jot.

Having said that, the best thing would probably be for the student concerned voluntarily to waive his/her right to confidentiality on this point. It's not as though St Andrews is a primary school, after all.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Postby Thalia on Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:46 pm

If you are worried, surely the easiest thing is just to go to your GP and ask to be screened?

If you were 13 before 2005 then you would most likely have been given the BCG vaccine in school - it's the one where you get the 6 pinpricks first to test if youve been exposed to TB. You get the BCG vaccine if you don't react to the skin test. But I don't think the BCG is 100% effective so if you're worried you should maybe get checked out.
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Postby starsandsparkles on Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 pm

David Bean wrote:Probably not, but then if that's your concern, knowing their name wouldn't help a jot.

I know, but if the University would release their year/subject it may help. For example, to be completely stereotypical, a first year film studies student isn't likely to be spending their week nights in the library.

I am going to be screened, I just find the University's reaction quite unhelpful.
starsandsparkles

Postby Hennessy on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:57 pm

I've had an on/off problem for the last few months with a sore throat where I hawked up blood on a few particularly violent occasions where I had a coughing fit. I've been to the doc twice in the last 4 months or so, the second time I was told it was a chest infection (fair enough, but they didn't even check for anything else. Come to think of it I only had my temperature taken and a stethoscope listening). Fair enough they are probably 100% in their diagnosis but this TB thing is bad timing as my cough had worsened during the week before it, so it only makes me a bit more anxious.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Duggeh on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Hennessy wrote:I've had an on/off problem for the last few months with a sore throat where I hawked up blood on a few particularly violent occasions where I had a coughing fit. I've been to the doc twice in the last 4 months or so, the second time I was told it was a chest infection (fair enough, but they didn't even check for anything else. Come to think of it I only had my temperature taken and a stethoscope listening). Fair enough they are probably 100% in their diagnosis but this TB thing is bad timing as my cough had worsened during the week before it, so it only makes me a bit more anxious.

My dad has said to me that coughing up blood is a real red light level symptom as far as diagnosis goes. I'd want a second opinion if I was told coughing up blood was just a chest infection.
Duggeh

Postby Hennessy on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:20 pm

No jokes, when I was talking to the nurse to book it she asked me what type of blood I was coughing up. How the hell am I supposed to know that! I looked at my post above and it may sound a little alarmist, I was also told that when you have a particularly violent cough you can break the capillaries at the back of your throat and if it goes on for a while that blood can end up in your spit.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Delts on Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:11 pm

:O I've been in close proximity to Hennessy. ARGH!
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:52 pm

BCG is only about 80% effective so it is by no means a guarantee of immunity.

If you have signs of a chest infection (e.g. cough productive of sputum (especially coloured sputum) with fever, spiking temperature above 38.5°C and possibly night sweats, generally feeling poorly) then by all means get yourself checked out. It's a no brainer - even if you don't have TB, a bacterial chest infection can easily be treated with antibiotics.
Coughing up blood is certainly a worrying symptom, although will occur with other sorts of chest infection, such as those due to Streptococcus pneumoniae. Type of blood is a valid question, although perhaps expressed poorly - coughed up blood due to a chest infection is typically bright red, frothy and mixed in with sputum. Dark red blood could be from a nose bleed which you have swallowed and brought up or trauma to the airways or gullet.
Decreased appetite and weight loss can also be a symptom of more long-standing TB.

Clinical diagnosis can be fairly reliable - if someone doesn't have chest signs or a temperature and has not been exposed to a source of TB I doubt I would investigate them further.

Good practice on the public health front would be to give everyone who has been in close contact (I wouldn't think sitting near someone in a library would count on this front) antibiotics (probably Rifampicin), however safe is better than sorry.
Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby beeny on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I agree entirely with Foo here. We should have been given more details. Think how many students are in close proximity to each other at all times - not just in classes, halls etc.
Think of the Bop or people who work in bars and restaurants, touching cutlery, plates, knives etc that the infected person has touched or had in their mouth. All it takes is for one person to have an ineffective BCG, or to not have had it all for this thing to spread and snowball.
I can understand the University don't want to release the name - it's probably very embarrassing but surely there are greater concerns here no?
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Delts wrote::O I've been in close proximity to Hennessy. ARGH!

Hennessey and you? <looks up to the heavens> I might have to revise this whole atheism thing.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Return to The Sinner's Main Board