Home

TheSinner.net

The most British word

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: The most British word

Postby Hennessy on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:42 pm

the Empress wrote:whatever. I'm finally sick of the sinner.

I'm terminal and I'm still here.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby Amanda on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Fawksie wrote:One-word and three-word stories have been played before, but no game has reached the dizzy heights of ATBAON.

I miss ATBAON.
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Postby orudge on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:24 pm

I was considering resurrecting it just now... but that might be evil.
orudge
Administrator

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 am

well, y'know, I wasn't being entirely serious . . . but the British debate never ends well (at least if you're English;)). It just leads to incredible frustration and the urge to stab people with pencils.

And yes foo I *am* touchy. Trying counting bloody pixels in satellite data for 3 days and see how *you* feel. Academia=hollow, empty shell.

[Edit: I *know* someone's going to mutter 'playing a tiny violin' but, christ. *shakes fist* Seriously, my 'bff' told me to find a new messageboard now I'm old. But I can't.let.go. Dammit.]

Ruru Hedgehog wrote:
the Empress wrote:Seriously, this doesn't have to be an existential crisis. Just pick a word, people.

The whole point of topics/forums/messageboards-in-general like this is to incite some chat; whether that be deep, meaning conversation or a bit o' banter.
Telling people just to pick a word kills off that desire to say something about something else. Besides, having an entire board full of one word posts with no relevance or requirement to give input is TECHNICALLY spam, ne? (Unless we're playing the one-word game... Which, knowing our fellow Sinners, would turn out to be quite funny.)

If you REALLY want just one word, how about "stop"?
As in "stop being a fucking killjoy". =)
the Empress

Postby Hennessy on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 pm

the Empress wrote:
Academia=hollow, empty shell.

As for British words, I'm still sticking with "sorry", apology has defined this country in the last half century much more than passing swear-words or regional variations on words.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby Duggeh on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:32 pm

orudge wrote:I was considering resurrecting it just now... but that might be evil.

I'd do it, but cannot, goes against the spirit of the thread.
Duggeh

Postby Duggeh on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:33 pm

the Empress wrote:[Edit: I *know* someone's going to mutter 'playing a tiny violin' but, christ. *shakes fist* Seriously, my 'bff' told me to find a new messageboard now I'm old. But I can't.let.go. Dammit.]

I'd avoid 4chan.
Duggeh

Postby Ruru Hedgehog on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Duggeh wrote:
orudge wrote:I was considering resurrecting it just now... but that might be evil.

I'd do it, but cannot, goes against the spirit of the thread.

As a relative newbie to The Sinner (and as a generally nosy prick), I kinda wanna know what it is.
Although, I'm guessing reviving this "evil" just to satiate my curiosity would leave a few people bemused and unhappy. =P
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.
Ruru Hedgehog

Postby orudge on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm

So be it.
orudge
Administrator

Postby Hennessy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Pedantry.

The British have always had an insufferable love of it, in all areas of life and history.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Postby Emmeline on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:32 pm

If we're allowed to pick phrases rather than words, how about "Shall I put the kettle on?"?

Seems to be the British response to every problem, be it boyfriend/girlfriend troubles or threat of an imminent nuclear attack.
Emmeline

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board