Home

TheSinner.net

News from DRH

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

News from DRH

Postby mrs_dalloway on Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:26 pm

Well, well, DRH may be known for it's lack of decadence and here's why: In the past forty-eight hours it has seen mould growing into people's mattresses, people being forced to sleep in hallways, two fire drills, crap on rice again and now..... we have no water supply and there's a nail at the bottom of the toilet which is unflushable thanks to the good people at estates and buildings.

Help us!!!
mrs_dalloway

Re:

Postby fiftyfive on Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:31 pm

The cockroaches in my (Fraser low) building say hi too.
But why fix it when you can just knock it down and make more PROFIT!
fiftyfive

Re:

Postby Alyson Macdonald on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:55 am

As SRC Accommodation Officer the only reply I can give to this is that it is a disgrace. Anyone in DRH who has been affected should e-mail me on srcaccommodation@st-andrews.ac.uk as soon as possible and I will try to do whatever I can to help you get something done.
Alyson Macdonald

the good old days

Postby flarewearer on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:06 am

sounds like DRH last year. shoot em all and stick em in the army
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Amaunet on Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:31 am

The cockroaches or the inhabitants?
'cos by now, we are both pretty indestructable. :P

[hr]WESTLEY
Hear this now: I will come for you.
BUTTERCUP
But how can you be sure?
WESTLEY
This is true love. You think this happens every day?
"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how"

Gone with the Wind
Amaunet

Re:

Postby Emma on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:49 am

I heard the fire alrm go off and wondered what block it was. Is the water off in the whole bulding? The tap downstairs was making explodey noises at me yesterday but eventually produced water.

Has anyone else noticed that quite a lot of the bedlinen we get is ripped, too?

The food doesn't even bear mentioning.
Emma

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:53 am

That doesn't sound like a job for the SRC - it sounds like a job for some sort of omnipotent deity.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:06 am

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 11:53, 25th Apr 2003:
That doesn't sound like a job for the SRC - it sounds like a job for some sort of omnipotent deity.

if sulphur rained down on DRH and devastated every block, would it necessarily make services worse?

and would the university do anything about it?

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Alyson Macdonald on Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:15 am

I know it seems like there isn't much we can do, but if the university aren't providing adequate maintenence and don't have contingency plans to cope with things like this when they happen, someone needs to speak to the university about why nothing is being done, and if they aren't doing everything they can to improve the situation, then someone, whether an SRC Officer, the Hall Committee or the students themselves, needs to raise the issue.

I have no delusions about my own power; I know I can't persuade the university to fix DRH overnight, but if the university aren't listening to individual students, I can help to represent students' rights. Of course, they can always ignore me, but the students' association are usually more effective at putting pressure on the university than individual students.
Alyson Macdonald

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:40 am

I agree, it is their legal obligation to provide suitable accomodation.

by this i mean dry rooms. suitable furniture if included in rent. Clean running water. Heating. sanitation. And most importantly clean hygenic food. If the food hygene is an issue this is a case for enviromental health not the reps. Cross contamination of food should not occur (except when wanted, of course putting cheese on a burger is allowed). This is,not always but sometimes, an indication of an unclean kitchen.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:59 am

Well the kitchen in drh is not that bad, probably better than some other places i can think of.

the state of the rooms tho is a diffrent matter.

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:27 pm

I just find it strange to think that the University is going to start giving a damn now, when obviously they haven't beforehand and I have to say that most people I know have either total apathy toward student politics or simply feel that the SRC is ineffectual - and while I don't doubt there are many hard working people in the SRC with the best of intentions, generally the University, like a petulant child, gets its way eventually.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:40 pm

No one can fight the system.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:51 pm

apart from neo

[hr]"A Happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." Hugh Downs
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:58 pm

um there is one possible way and that is to put in formal objections to fife council - they do have the power to close down halls of residence, if the standards are not high enough, but due to current student opposition they are not currently doing so.

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Jen on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:52 pm

Despite the crapness of DRH: the mungy food, the rips in the wallpaper, the mould in the showers and the kitchens with the unremovable lumpy bits on the work surfaces I've loved my time in DRH. Its probably the least cliquey hall so in that sense I feel luckier than alot of the 1st years in the accomadation I got stuck with. DRH people are the best people! Gonna miss it next year! It'll be nice to have edible food again though!
Jen

My Room

Postby Mr DRH on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:53 pm

In my DRH room, I have mould growing on the walls. Estates and buildings came out, but said there was nothing they could do. I think it is a disgrace that people in DRH are paying roughly the same as people in Sallies. My room smells of damp and to cap it all I wake up every morning to the sound of diggers on the construction site.
The food in the canteen is another matter. Last night they served turkey dinosaurs (Very grey colour). The food is absolute sh*te. The only good thing is the breakfast and the breakfast lady rules!
Mr DRH

My old room

Postby flarewearer on Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:46 am

my room last year in DRH (donaldson block) also smelt awful. if you went away for the weekend and left the window closed, the air was foul when you got back. The carpets were all covered in ick, the laundry was always ripped and on one occasion had to be returned as it was covered in blood, and the insides of the showers didnt bear describing - the roof was a combination of filth, mould and flaky paint, it was more pleasant to shower with the lights off incase you looked up and saw it. However i dont think DRH is unique, as i had encoutered all these problems the year before in Regs, just not all at once and all the time...

[hr]* 9 out of 10 cannibals agree;
"vegetarians taste BETTER"
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:05 am

What amazes me is that people see all this stuff but don't point it out to the people responsible.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Amaunet on Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:08 am

I think maybe you were just in a bad block- my room in drh is fine, no mould, no carpet holes- nothing except a slightly dodgy radiator. And the showers are fab- clean and all.

[hr]WESTLEY
Hear this now: I will come for you.
BUTTERCUP
But how can you be sure?
WESTLEY
This is true love. You think this happens every day?
"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how"

Gone with the Wind
Amaunet

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board