Home

TheSinner.net

The Pope and Condoms

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: The Pope and Condoms

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:54 pm

munchingfoo wrote:This thread has really interested me. I'm really looking forward to someone explaining to me how sperm can permeate a latex barrier. I guess the right person just hasn't come along yet. :(

This I can comment on. Foo, they don't. 'Perfect use' means the person does everything right, it doesn't mean the condom works as intended. Condoms burst, condoms slip off because the latex suddenly loses it's elasticity if it's formulated right or because they tear. Granted, these things are very rare, but they happen frequently enough to result in 2 pregnancies per year per 100 couples.

The 15% 'real world' failure rate then incorporates things like "We forgot to put it on in the heat of the moment", "I bought ones that were too big, for my ego", and all the other stupid things people do that they shouldn't - the failure rate is for the method, not the device.
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Postby starsandsparkles on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 pm

Andy Monkey B wrote:Bad theology there. You can abstain all you like, you can never use condoms, you can get married and have lots of lovely sex and produce lots of lovely children, you can do amazingly selfless things comparable to mother teresa, you can go to confession every morning and spend the rest of the day on your knees on a cold stone floor, you can be baptised, confirmed, eucharist-ed, ordained, married or unction-ed, you can be the pope and do popey things, but you'll still go to hell if you don't have faith. Telling people not to sin doesn't make them sinless, sin is a condition, not an action. And doing good things won't make you righteous, salvation is by faith alone.

I am sure macgamer will do a far better job at replying to this than me but...

Salvation comes from God's grace. It's a gift freely given from God and there isn't anything I can do to earn it. However, on the opposite side of the coin, if I don't have faith, if I don't act on it (i.e. if I sin) then I send myself to hell. "Now the works of the flesh are plain: fornication, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger, selfishness, dissension, factions, envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things shall not inherit the Kingdom of God." (Gal 5:19-21) So whilst sin is a condition as inherited from The Fall, sin is also an action - indulgence in "works of the flesh".

Sacraments are "an outward sign of an inner grace" - that is we receive the grace of God through them. So it would be pretty impossible to go to the sacraments regularly and not have some kind of faith (which is a gift in itself). Additionally, if you didn't believe, even just a tiny bit, you wouldn't really continue to go receive the sacraments so regularly - even people that do believe struggle to go all the time.

Andy Monkey B wrote:And it's a shame you don't seem to have read the topic on this talk already on the forum before posting this, where many of these points have already been discussed.

And it's a shame that you don't seem to have noticed that I posted on it!

Andy Monkey B wrote:What's the distinction between artificial and natural contraceptive methods btw, if you're not trying to divorce sex from procreation? Not an argument really, I've just never asked.

Fair point on the being less fertile comment.

The artifical vs. natural question isn't an easy one to answer. You can still use natural contrapcetion with an artificial contraceptive mindset. That is you can still be wanting to avoid having children and the Church says this is still wrong - It is not enough just to say "I don't want children right now". Natural Family Planning should be used in only two circumstances, either financial or health related the situation must be suitably grave. The natural method leaves couples more open to having children, but that doesn't make it acceptable all the time.

I've answered that in a bit of a backwards way, but I'm shattered and I'm preparing a presentation. Sorry.
starsandsparkles

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 am

LonelyPilgrim wrote:This I can comment on. Foo, they don't. 'Perfect use' means the person does everything right, it doesn't mean the condom works as intended. Condoms burst, condoms slip off because the latex suddenly loses it's elasticity if it's formulated right or because they tear. Granted, these things are very rare, but they happen frequently enough to result in 2 pregnancies per year per 100 couples.

That's exactly what I used to think, until starsandsparkles said otherwise in their first post. So to summarise, they were waffling shit and my thoughts on the subject had been correct all this time.

Okay - so now we know the real facts, let us re-interpret the 2%. The transmission statistic for AIDS has already been discussed earlier in this thread taking into account this 2% failure rate so we are just left with pregnancy. We have a 2% chance of the condom breaking, but then what? Surely some people notice when the condom slips or breaks during sex? I know I have... So is it really 2%? Surely afterwards, unless paraletic (perfect use? I think not), you will definately notice a defect, allowing you to take further preventative measures.

75-85% of women will be pregnant in 1 year without the use of birth control.
2% failure rate with perfect use.
Morning after pill, depends on the brand (the early ones were shockingly shit), but can be up to 90% effective.

I make that 0.15% of women who will be pregnant within 1 year with assuming that everyone who uses a broken condom doesn't realise (again, I have noticed). Then, even with this tiny chance of pregnancy, assuming that it doesn't go against your morals, you are in a very good situation to have an early termination since you know to check often if you are pregnant (after failure and morning after pill). You could also chuck in birth control pill with condoms and you are pretty much home free.

Now, lets calculate the stats with abstinance. Oh, we can't. No study has ever been conducted. "But it''s 100% ,Mr Munchingfoo", bollocks, and you know it. It can be 100% for an individual, but it's very unlikely to be 100% for a population. Sure, you can say, "if someone has sex then they are no longer abstaining". Yes, but if they originally intended to abstain, then lapsed, then in any scientific study they would be counted in the failure rate.

Given the presence of no better data we can only assume the worst case, which is 75-85% failure rate.

So - 75%-85% failure rate vs 0.15% failure rate (with further options to reduce the effect to near enough zero as makes no difference).

Who wins? You decide!
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby macgamer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 am

Andy Monkey B wrote:Bad theology there. You can abstain all you like, you can never use condoms, you can get married and have lots of lovely sex and produce lots of lovely children, you can do amazingly selfless things comparable to mother teresa, you can go to confession every morning and spend the rest of the day on your knees on a cold stone floor, you can be baptised, confirmed, eucharist-ed, ordained, married or unction-ed, you can be the pope and do popey things, but you'll still go to hell if you don't have faith. Telling people not to sin doesn't make them sinless, sin is a condition, not an action. And doing good things won't make you righteous, salvation is by faith alone.

Your preamble suggests that actions have nothing to do with salvation, and then you explicitly say 'sin is a condition, not an action'. So you are saying that it is not possible to sin. Who has the bad theology now? And not just bad theology but commiting linguistic heresy by denying that sin is a verb as well as a noun.

To be very Catholic about this it is both. Sin is a condition and an action. As was already stated by starsandsparkles, grace is an important concept in understanding salvation and the role of sin. What did Jesus die for if not our sins? Perhaps we do not have the same definition of sin, so let me bring you up to speed. Mortal sin, by which we have chosen to sever ourselves from the grace of God, must be:

1) Grievous in matter
2) Committed in full knowledge that it is a sin and grievous
3) In full freedom and consent.

As starsandsparkles also stated, grace is a gift freely given by God and unmerited by ourselves. However we have free will and can chose to remain in this state or reject the will / laws of God or God himself. If we die unrepented in this state it is understood that we have rejected the salvation wrought by Jesus. This is what is understood as the effects of mortal sin.

Through confession we are not re-earning our salvation by our actions, we obviously can never do this. However what we are doing is acknowledging our wronging doing (confessing), making an expression of true regret (contrition), as well as a firm commitment not to do it again. The confession is not valid unless there is true contrition and commitment to ammend one's life. As starsandsparkles said a sacrament is an outward sign of an inward grace, through confession therefore, we are restored to full grace in God's eyes. This grace strengthens us in the future and marks us as saved.

As starsandsparkles as said, it should be obvious and implicit that none of this could be achieved if one did not have faith in God.

Andy Monkey B wrote:What's the distinction between artificial and natural contraceptive methods btw, if you're not trying to divorce sex from procreation? Not an argument really, I've just never asked.

I would not use the term natural contraceptive methods, because the term contraceptive is the problem. It is to be used and regarded at all times as natural family planning (NFP). As starsandsparkles said it can be used, wrongly, with a contraceptive mentality. NFP exploits the natural infertile parts of the menstrual cycle, but rather than using the calendar based 'Rhythm method', it now relies on a symptoms based approach (cervical mucus et al.) which has a degree of efficacy approaching that of barrier methods.

However the approach is very different in that the married couple are choosing to space their children or limit the number of children for financial or health reasons. However there are always open to new children at all times, to which contraception can never be, both in mentality and practice. NFP must also be practiced with generosity, that is to have a family size that is within their means. This of course is a matter of conscience of the couples.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy, 1908
macgamer

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:12 am

Oh, to live in your dream world for just one day...

Bliss.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby macgamer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:59 pm

A British Medical Journal article on the role of 'concurrency' a.k.a. promiscuity in the propagation of HIV:
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/337/nov25_2/a2638?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=helen+epstein&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

BMJ wrote:Risks of concurrency compared with serial monogamy
If a man has two partners, his risk is the same whether they are concurrent or serial. However, his concurrency hugely affects his partners’ risks, because both partners are now linked through him, and thus at risk not only from him directly, but from each other, indirectly too. If one of his partners is infected, the other will become infected right away, if they are concurrent. If he has those partners sequentially, the infection spreads much more slowly from one woman to another—because he has to break up with one and then find the other, which could take months, years, or decades. Viral load will also be lower by then, which makes serial monogamy even safer.

Also this from The Lancet 'Ten myths and one truth about generalised HIV epidemics'
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61755-3

The one truth it states:
The Lancet wrote:Truthfully, our priority must be on the key driver of generalised epidemics—concurrent partnerships. Although many people sense that multiple partners are risky, they do not realise the particular risk of concurrent partnerships.

Also this from Science [9 May 2008: Vol. 320. no. 5877, pp. 749 - 750] 'Reassessing HIV Prevention'
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/320/5877/749

Its take home messages:
Science wrote:What Works
Male circumcision. Over 45 observational, biological, and other studies from the last 20 years have shown that MC significantly reduces the risk of heterosexual HIV infection. [...]

Reducing multiple sexual partnerships. Another preventive measure that has had a powerful impact and that could have even greater effect, if it were more widely and assertively promoted, is partner reduction. In Uganda, HIV prevalence declined dramatically following the extensive "Zero Grazing" campaign of the late 1980s. WHO surveys conducted in 1989 and 1995 found a >50% reduction in the number of people reporting multiple and casual partners.

EDITED: after finding more interesting references.
Last edited by macgamer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Progress should mean that we are always changing the world to fit the vision, instead we are always changing the vision."
macgamer

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Other than stating the obvious, would you care to offer some reason for posting that?
munchingfoo

Postby macgamer on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Just offering some evidence, from a source which the Sinners might accept more happily, which backs up the critique of the condom approach. Condoms promote and facilitate these 'concurrent relationships', which considering condom efficacy, in Africa especially, explains why HIV transmission increases unabated.

In short the Pope was not unjustified in making his remarks.
macgamer

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 am

macgamer wrote:Just offering some evidence, from a source which the Sinners might accept more happily, which backs up the critique of the condom approach. Condoms promote and facilitate these 'concurrent relationships', which considering condom efficacy, in Africa especially, explains why HIV transmission increases unabated.

In short the Pope was not unjustified in making his remarks.

Any philosophy (theological or secular) which doesn't take into account human nature is flawed and doomed to failure. People have been fucking each other since before there were people to fuck. If they're going to fuck each other (in a country where HIV is rife) they'd best be using condoms. Else they're fucked. Figuratively speaking.

So the pope should go back to preaching about what he knows best - rather than making a bad situation worse.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Gregory on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Red Celt,
Any philosophy (theological or secular) which doesn't take into account human nature is flawed and doomed to failure

may I ask who your authority on the human condition is? I kind of thought the purpose of philosophy was the study of the human condition.... like it isn't agreed on by all

Andy Monkey B, on a similar note I suppose you think that the authority on the bible is you, since you are a believer, and you know the true interpretation of it thanks to the holy spirit? Jesus came to get a book published and everyone writes their own summary. yah. right. publicity stunts eh? :P

Express, what do you think are women's rights? and what does the catholic church say which you think is unsupportive?

munchingfoo,
0.15% failure rate

Oh, to live in your dream world for just one day...

Bliss.

Any stats showing condoms work in practice against aids? please? Botswana? Thailand? or maybe the Phillipines, Uganda? Figures aren't that difficult to get to surely
Gregory

Postby Senethro on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:54 pm

Reliable figures from third world nations lacking widespread/high quality healthcare on a disease that has only recently become apparent with an incubation period that allows a few outliersto have been infected in the mid-eighties and to only have been mildly immunocompromised in the past few years?

Heres another question: How do you stop an animal from fucking when fucking is the behaviour most fundamental to the survival of all the organism's predecessors going back millions of years?
Senethro

Postby macgamer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:37 pm

Senethro wrote:Heres another question: How do you stop an animal from fucking when fucking is the behaviour most fundamental to the survival of all the organism's predecessors going back millions of years?

macgamer wrote:In Uganda, HIV prevalence declined dramatically following the extensive "Zero Grazing" campaign of the late 1980s. WHO surveys conducted in 1989 and 1995 found a >50% reduction in the number of people reporting multiple and casual partners.

The Ugandans are clearly not quite the animals you make them out to be.

Granted an animal can be forgiven for doing something instinctual even though it had a good probability in resulting in its death, but a human can understand these risks and choose not to.

If you want to apply Darwinian prinicipals, HIV is a selection pressure than favours those individuals which tend towards monogamy. As you see from the papers I cited earlier, transmission of HIV is most efficient when there is a high level of concurrency / promiscuity in relationships.

So in short, start handing out free chastity belts instead of condoms. Perhaps the Students' Association would consider broadening its repertoire of sexual health apparatus?
macgamer

Postby Gregory on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 pm

Senethro,
How do you stop an animal from fucking when fucking is the behaviour most fundamental to the survival of all the organism's predecessors going back millions of years?

It may be fundemental to survival but that doesn't make it the sole point of living.

And in answer to your question..... self-control

Could you not live without impure thoughts and acts?
Gregory

Postby Andy Monkey B on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Currently writing a reply to the above posts, it's a little longer than my dissertation so far and not quite finished. Just thought I'd reply to this:

Gregory wrote:Andy Monkey B, on a similar note I suppose you think that the authority on the bible is you, since you are a believer, and you know the true interpretation of it thanks to the holy spirit? Jesus came to get a book published and everyone writes their own summary. yah. right. publicity stunts eh? :P

I don't claim to be an authority on the Bible, but the Bible clearly speaks the words of God (I believe it IS the Word of God), which IS authorative. If the Bible states that God says something, and Jesus quotes it too as what God says, then surely you don't need any earthly authority for it?

Actually I'm not sure what you're arguing here, we seem to be pre-empting each others posts. Should we start a new thread somewhere some day?

And I apologise for being a little harsher than I meant to in my last post. I'll try to keep things civil.
Andy Monkey B

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

Gregory wrote:Any stats showing condoms work in practice against aids? please? Botswana? Thailand? or maybe the Phillipines, Uganda? Figures aren't that difficult to get to surely

How about UK, Germany, France, Spain, etc etc? Or does it have to be a country where social education is poor in order to qualify for your biased view point?
munchingfoo

Postby Gregory on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Well, I think you would agree there is more to it than that. It is the Word of God - that I believe, so it is an authority, but when we fallible humans interpret the word of God we are liable to make errors.

discussion for another day!
Gregory

Postby Gregory on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:25 pm

munchingfoo wrote:
Gregory wrote:Any stats showing condoms work in practice against aids? please? Botswana? Thailand? or maybe the Phillipines, Uganda? Figures aren't that difficult to get to surely

How about UK, Germany, France, Spain, etc etc? Or does it have to be a country where social education is poor in order to qualify for your biased view point?

No it doesn't, though you'll note std's are rife in those countries - condoms doesn't protect against all those. Where does it say these countries have lower transmission rates please? And are there any countries with a history of the aids pandemic where condoms have had a positive affect?
Gregory

Postby Jono on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:37 pm

munchingfoo wrote:

You think the social education in the UK is good? interesting perspective. Our "social education" at school consisted of a singing, dancing anthropomorphic condom teaching us the joys of contraception. More informally, a mass media indoctrinated us into the notion that sex for the sake of sex was a noble goal in and of itself 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Actually, there was a tabloid scare a couple of years ago about the supposed mass of HIV-ridden Poles and Romanians who'd come over here and give our women AIDS, presumably after taking our houses and our jobs! Some wit then pointed out that AIDS rates in predominantly Catholic Poland and Romania are significantly lower than they are over here, presumably thanks to a more pervasive religious culture.

Also, chastity belts are just kinky!

... I should be doing an essay!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Gregory wrote:
munchingfoo wrote:
Gregory wrote:

No it doesn't, though you'll note std's are rife in those countries - condoms doesn't protect against all those. Where does it say these countries have lower transmission rates please? And are there any countries with a history of the aids pandemic where condoms have had a positive affect?

It feels stupid to quote myself quoting an article you cited, but . . .
'I was looking at this article cited by Gregory: http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/E1249D29 ... DB3E59.asp . . . the probability for a high income country: infection male->female 0.08% per sexual act (1 in 1250 sexual acts); female->male 0.04% per sexual act (1 in 2500 sexual acts). For a low income country: male->female 0.19%, male-> female 0.87% per sexual act. So what we can speculate here is on the indirect effect of condom usuage between high and low income countries. Condom usuage would be higher in a high income country'.

So, yes, leaving aside condom usage, those countries do have lower transmission rates.

While the number of new diagnoses of HIV in the UK has increased 157% since 1997/8 there are several reasons for this. In 2006 12% of new cases were in black African men thought to be infected heterosexually in Africa and 36% in men who have sex with men (MSM) (1). In 2005 the majority of new HIV cases were among black and ethnic communities contracting it abroad in high prevalence areas (3,691 of 7,450). In 2005 the greatest number of new infections contracted *within the UK* were among MWM (2).

In both these cases, new infections increased within populations which already had a high infection rate relative to other groups within the UK. Increased infection among MWM is also related to a reduction in funding and development for HIV prevention programmes *and* the increase in HIV testing among this group (i.e. previous years infection rates were underestimated); the latter presumably applies across all groups (2).

(1) http://sti.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/84/3/158
(2) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6174200.stm
the Empress

Postby RedCelt69 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:34 pm

Gregory wrote:Red Celt,
Any philosophy (theological or secular) which doesn't take into account human nature is flawed and doomed to failure

may I ask who your authority on the human condition is? I kind of thought the purpose of philosophy was the study of the human condition.... like it isn't agreed on by all

There are many purposes of philosophy. Not just one. I wasn't referring to the human "condition", the definition of which is open to interpretation. I was referring to human nature. As for an authority... take a look at any history book, turn on your TV. Hell, just look out of your window. Or inside your own mind. Human nature, as an observable phenomenon, is freely available to any who care to look.

A philosophy which suggests that we act against human nature will fail.

Met many Kantians? Anyone who will act as though their actions be universally adopted? Who will never lie? Not even a white lie?

How about Christians? Because I've never met one. I've met lots of people who claim to be Christian, but they all fail to follow the teachings of Jesus - to varying degrees.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board