Home

TheSinner.net

Jerry Springer

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Jerry Springer

Postby JohnMac on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:04 am

Hennessy wrote:Doesn't Jesus appear in a nappy at one point? Having a laugh I could understand, but as for pushing the boundaries, we'll reserve that appraisal for shows with a bit more class, eh?

Jesus does NOT appear in a nappy - he appears in a loincloth! As he is portrayed in the vast majority of Christian imagery. Christian Voice have claimed that he wears a nappy - this is simply not true!

And we are not 'having a laugh' at the expense of Jesus. This is a show which satirizes the deification of a chat show host.
With regard to pushing boundaries - a show largely sung in 8 part harmony throughout, with complex tech and virtually no 'dialogue' does push boundaries. Especially in St Andrews. Also the fact that we are the first amateur license to issued globally(!) makes this a unique project for St Andrews musical theatr
JohnMac

Jerry Springer

Postby Curiouser on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Anyone manage to go see this piece of....musical theatre? Any good? I was thinking about going to see whether the fuss and hype was justified. I had forgotten about it until I saw those protesters today.
Curiouser

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:37 am

Saw it last night -- absolutely fantastic! Everything about the production was extremely polished. In particular, though, the music and singing were very, very good. All this hype about 8-part harmonies and such is very justified.

Also, for those people complaining about the show pushing boundaries: I have absolutely no idea what you're on about. People wearing nappies and a camp Jesus isn't particularly risque, especially if you've been exposed to any kind of comedic media program over the past decade.
Mehmsy

Postby Frank on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:38 am

Mehmsy wrote:People wearing nappies and a camp Jesus isn't particularly risque, especially if you've been exposed to any kind of comedic media program over the past decade.

:D
Frank

Postby zipporah on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:48 am

I thought the singing, acting, dancing and band were very polished. The band was quite loud though, and articulation could have been better in places - too often I felt like the lyrics would be funny if only I could discern what they were. That might have contributed to my impression that the script itself just wasn't as funny as it had the potential to be (Spamalot was far more amusing, someone should put that one on).
zipporah

Postby eagle on Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:15 am

I saw it last night and loved it.
The only mockery I could discern was that of the talk show itself.
eagle

Postby fluffy on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:15 pm

well the show for tonight has sold out so those idiots with the billboards didn't do too much to dissuade us (did anyone else see that ridiculous comment on the bbc news they gave where they said the uni obviously doesn't trust us because it doesn't let us mark our own exam papers?!?! who let that clanger out????)
we shall see how it goes, managed to get tickets cause we went early this morning.
and as much as i support the right to free speech and protest, anyone who denies my right to freedom of belief or of sexuality (some knob said i was going to hell for being a dyke) deserves to be rended an idiot.
dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Postby Garnet on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Am I the only one who thought it was rubbish? They seemed to have two jokes, prolonging the word 'fuck' or singing longer than was to be expected. Neither of which I found particularly amusing the first time. I just got so bored waiting for the predictable jokes to hurry up and end. There weren't any memorable songs and I only made out about 60% of what was being said/sung because the music was too loud or actors not singing loud enough. I really was so confused by the response; I think some people will laugh at anything. It's truly the worst production i've seen at St Andrews.
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Postby dac on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 am

Well, I saw the show tonight and thought it was absolutely fantastic. Easily the best amateur musical production I've seen. The orchestra was great and I didn't realise there were such talented singers in St Andrews. I heard similar complaints to the above about the singing being difficult to hear, it seems that was dependent on where you were sat in Venue 1. I was in the middle in the front seating area and the balance between vocals/orchestra was fine. Well done to everyone involved in the show, it was definitely the best fiver I've spent in a while!
dac

Postby schmod on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:02 am

Figured I'd join in on the parade...

schmod

Postby ZBear on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:48 am

Garnet wrote:Am I the only one who thought it was rubbish? They seemed to have two jokes, prolonging the word 'fuck' or singing longer than was to be expected. Neither of which I found particularly amusing the first time. I just got so bored waiting for the predictable jokes to hurry up and end. There weren't any memorable songs and I only made out about 60% of what was being said/sung because the music was too loud or actors not singing loud enough. I really was so confused by the response; I think some people will laugh at anything. It's truly the worst production i've seen at St Andrews.

So, um, out of curiosity... what has been your favourite show in St Andrews? Because I haven't seen production values or performances that good in another St Andrews show in a long time.
ZBear

Postby Jono/Slut/Whore on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

I'm always suprised at the professional quality of things put on by student groups. Never moreso than last night.

I'd never normally apologise for playing devil's advocate, but I take back any insinuation I previously made about the show being unfit for production. It was just... brilliant. The singers were astounding. The parts were all very convincing (As in well acted out. I'm not for one minute insinuating that actors are trailer-trash slut-whores!). Ziegal's performance in paticular was really authentic. The music was always on the right note. I've never been sworn at in such a melodius way.

My only criticism was of the set. The lighting of the "audience" sections of the stage reflected onto the projector screens which made them difficult to read. Also, The pole dance would have been better If us lot in the cheap-seats could have seen it. I suspect that this was a last-minute change because bruce revealed that the pole couldn't be erected on-stage. Nevertheless, some of the action going on at the front of the stage was obscured by the rest of the audience. Even so, these are minor quibbles that certainly don't detract from the sheer awesomeness and scale of the production.

Can I request that Just So do Tommy; a similarly epic musical, for next year?

All in all, I was dead impressed!
Jono/Slut/Whore

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Last night was spectacular, an absolute triumph which I felt privileged to witness. A million thank-yous and congratulations to John MacLean and his team for one of the best nights of my University experience.

Adam Gordon made the show for me, what a voice that guy has (and an excellent red suit). Unbelievably, I actually agree with something Jono has said on the Sinner and also have to commend Chris Zegel's masterful performance as Jerry. My only disappointment was in the lack of Christian Voice protesters last night, I was totally keen to bait them and generally cause trouble...

Hearty slaps on the back all round.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:48 pm

...and Shelton Lindsay is bloody hilarious.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board