Home

TheSinner.net

Exam timetables.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Exam timetables.

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm

So who got lucky and who didn't? This is my last set of exams and it's the worst timings I've ever had for sure.

Essays due 1st, 8th, 15th, exams 16th, 20th.

Ruh-roh.
Duggeh

Re: Exam timetables.

Postby RandomMusings on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Last exams here 18th & 19th - coursework due first week of May, so should have some revision time at least.
Only downside i'd been offered a gig in London on the 18th, so obviously not doing that anymore...
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby orudge on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 am

18th and 19th too - one in the morning, one in the afternoon. I usually like to have at least a day between exams, but, eh, they're my last ones, least number of exams I've ever had in one sitting, too, so it'll be good to get them over and done with. As for coursework, project is due this Friday, then I have an essay due next Friday, and two practicals due on the 8th - a decent amount of time left for revision.
orudge
Administrator

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 am

I got really lucky. No exams. Exam Win.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Hennessy on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 am

Some people really dread exams. I quite like them compared with the tedious rolling array of coursework deadlines you have to put up with in my subjects.
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby ChrisH on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 pm

If you're exams are bad write to the exams officer, I did an have one of mine moved provisionally.

It doesn't help my dissertation is on scheduling and coming up with better systems for allocating things like exams, it really shouldn't be hard to produce a fair allocation for all.
ChrisH

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:13 pm

ChrisH wrote:If you're exams are bad write to the exams officer, I did an have one of mine moved provisionally.

It doesn't help my dissertation is on scheduling and coming up with better systems for allocating things like exams, it really shouldn't be hard to produce a fair allocation for all.

What subject do you study Chris? I don't think you have quite grasped how much of complex problem scheduling is. Bear in mind that it's very likely that there is no "solution" to this scheduling problem and as such it becomes an optimisation (minimising clashes) scheduling problem, which is much harder to solve.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:42 pm

21st and 22nd, 3 hours each. Not bad. I prefer to have most of the month to revise.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby Jono on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 pm

Afternoon of the 20th; Morning of the 21st and Morning of the 22nd. Fun times!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Craig on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:00 pm

16th, 20th and 26th. Best spread of exams I've had since I got here.
Craig

Postby Duggeh on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Craig wrote:16th, 20th and 26th. Best spread of exams I've had since I got here.

One hates thou.
Duggeh

Postby Craig on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:40 pm

That's a fair call. I'd have hated me too.
Craig

Postby Jormungand on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:23 pm

2 on the same day, craptacular. Who thought it would be a good idea to have both philosophy exams on the same day? It's hardly a stretch to imagine that people might be doing both of them...
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby ChrisH on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 am

munchingfoo wrote:What subject do you study Chris? I don't think you have quite grasped how much of complex problem scheduling is. Bear in mind that it's very likely that there is no "solution" to this scheduling problem and as such it becomes an optimisation (minimising clashes) scheduling problem, which is much harder to solve.

Computer Science, natch.

Scheduling is just a giant set of permutations of exam venues, exams and days combined with a function that tells you just how good or bad one is. From the moaning I've heard anecdotally over the years it does appear that certain departments always end up with things like exams at the start or end, or consecutive days or whatever, implying that either there is a function used but it is uses different criteria from what students may like, or there isn't and any solution is considered acceptable.

Computers make things like scheduling stuff pretty simple, it may take days to crunch the numbers but given after week 2 the numbers on a course are fixed that gives 10+ weeks to come up with the exam timetable (well less for a provisional one).

I'd love to be told that they do use some complex system that works out everything really nicely, but somehow I doubt that.
ChrisH

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:48 am

It doesn't take very many variables to be added to a problem in order for the problem to be unable to be solved in any reasonable amount of time.

At honours level, most students have a choice of modules therefore very few students at honours level can be grouped together as one variable. This gives us about 3000 variables to worry about before we've even decided who can cover which exam, which venue we can use, who has special circumstances, who drops out of course, who moves from one course to another, ...

You could perhaps model the problem looking at the subjects as variables, but then the constraints between the variables become quite complex and difficult to propogate over. We then consider that the constraints can be changed at a moments notice (since data can be changed) and the shit starts to hit the fan.

Whilst it's not impossible that there might be a good model out there for this problem, I have my suspicions that, like I said previously, it would be an optimisation problem, and would therefore have no perfect solution, only one which was less bad than any others. Even then, it might be infeasible to find the best solution in any reasonable amount of time, so you'd still have the occasional exam moans that we get now.

What project are you doing for your honours, and who's your supervisor?
munchingfoo

Postby zipporah on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 am

Dissertation due 15th, exam 21st, degree over. Looking forward to it.
zipporah

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 am

ChrisH wrote:
Computers make things like scheduling stuff pretty simple, it may take days to crunch the numbers but given after week 2 the numbers on a course are fixed that gives 10+ weeks to come up with the exam timetable (well less for a provisional one).

I'd love to be told that they do use some complex system that works out everything really nicely, but somehow I doubt that.

The numbers on modules are far from fixed by the end of week 2, actually.

Postby Garnet on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:02 pm

I suppose i should be grateful to have a week in between exams, but i have one on the last day which means i have the joy of seeing everyone else finished and relaxing.
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Return to The Sinner's Main Board