Home

TheSinner.net

Former rector dies

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Former rector dies

Postby queen of scots on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 am

Former rector of St Andrews, Sir Clement Freud, has died aged 84. Some sinners may remember his time here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... at-84.html
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re: Former rector dies

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 am

Yes, very sad. He was the Rector for the majority of my time here (Andrew Neill was under Rectorial Drag in my 1st year). Always made me chuckle in LPH (despite the fact it was always the same jokes).
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am

i had no idea who he was when he was rector and still dont now. all i know is i recognise his name as being the rector.
theshadowhost

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Where first class minds are made, kids.
exnihilo

Postby Craig on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:48 pm

theshadowhost wrote:i had no idea who he was when he was rector and still dont now. all i know is i recognise his name as being the rector.
This reminds me somewhat of people who post on Have Your Say to tell everyone they have no opinion.
Craig

Postby Jormungand on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Craig wrote:
theshadowhost wrote:i had no idea who he was when he was rector and still dont now. all i know is i recognise his name as being the rector.
This reminds me somewhat of people who post on Have Your Say to tell everyone they have no opinion.

Frankly they tend to be the more tolerable ones...
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm

exnihilo wrote:Where first class minds are made, kids.

World-class.

Clearly, yours was not one of them.

Daniel
Daniel

Postby exnihilo on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Did I get the fatuous slogan wrong? My only defence is that they didn't have it when I were a lad.
exnihilo

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 pm

I guess the point i was trying to make was: what does the rector do? and why was everyone so happy that he was rector here?
theshadowhost

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 pm

I can vaguely recall Sir Clement defining his role to me during freshers week (I'm paraphrasing, although I think he has said this to numerous others):
"In the old days, the rector ran the university. If I'd have wanted to, I could have made the entire place into a brothel. Now I just make sure things run smoothly."
Dave the Explosive Newt

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:27 pm

A great loss to the worlds of wit and wisdom. I wonder if he despaired of being perpetually labelled 'grandson of Sigmund, brother of Lucien' just as St Andrews cringes at the ubiquitous suffix 'Prince William's former university'?

I commend the BBC online obituary, which has a video montage and text. This morning the video explained how he was born in Vienna, contradicting the text printed directly below it declaring that he was born in Berlin. Mercifully this has been changed since since...

And as for fatuous slogans, I believe the University has now changed yet again to 'From First to Foremost'. Thus was it printed on the programme for the Principal's Inauguration, at least.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby fearghas on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:A great loss to the worlds of wit and wisdom. I wonder if he despaired of being perpetually labelled 'grandson of Sigmund, brother of Lucien'

There is the story of when he and Winston S. Churchill went on a trip to China. Churchill got the better room, and this was the first (and probably only time) that Freud had been "out-grandfathered"

I had the pleasure of sharing a lift in the Rusacks with him on my visit here before I started. Thoroughly charming.

A sad day for the University, Radio 4, politics, comedy, cooking, and dog food.
fearghas

Postby Thackary on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:45 pm

I remember a very rambling and lengthy story he told over dinner with us about his grandfather, who worked on the railways - the lesser-known Signalman Freud. After 15-20 minutes of setup, you can't help but laugh.
Thackary

Postby harmless loony on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:34 pm

I just heard the news now and feel genuinely sad to hear of his passing - he was rather a quirky character.....definitely a sad day.
harmless loony

Postby Ashley on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:37 pm

Sad to see. Very funny guy and an always shockingly impressive previous life. He also seemed to take quite an interest in us students while rector.
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Postby mossop on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:20 pm

I shared an ice cream and a chat with him in Janetta's (mint choc chip, if you're interested) - he seemed like a really genuinely nice bloke and hilariously funny, too. Sad news indeed.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Return to The Sinner's Main Board