Home

TheSinner.net

On the Rocks

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: On the Rocks

Postby zipporah on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 am

I agree numbers for some shows were disappointing; Noumena, for example, was fantastic, but the turnout wasn't. Possibly part of the problem is that it wasn't very clear from the festival guide what you were buying a ticket for. I enjoyed Bear With Me, but I had no clue what to expect from it. 'In Plato’s famous allegorical cave, chained prisoners see only elusive shadows illuminated by a fire behind them….but is there an escape?' may sound more intriguing, but maybe Noumena would have got more takers if the festival guide had gone for a simpler 'Energetic contemporary dance based on Plato's philosophical beliefs about the elements'.
zipporah

Postby dani0107 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:51 am

As a second year Rogue committee member, here're my thoughts on Half Cut's future... We have had alot of interest in the society and in film making over the past year, with younger students starting to make and get involved in student films. At the moment there isn't any obvious single talent but then there isn't anyone with the experience of Naysun or Andrew Scott either. It will be the committee's responsibility to harness the enthusiasm and ensure this results in films being made. Whilst this year the emphasis has been on upping the status of Half Cut and student film, next year I would like to see an emphasis on workshops and teaching. iMovie fest would probably be good for this as would a fully fledged freshers' film.

We don't lack the people to put on an event as big as this year's Half Cut. Along with Naysun, the person who worked hardest on Half Cut this year was Charlotte Walsh who will most likely be Rogue President next year and I'm sure will work insanely hard to ensure Half Cut does not just fizzle out. We just need to make sure that not all of Half Cut's submissions are coming from outside of st andrews!!

Asides from this, we put no cap on how many films directors could submit because we thought this would balance out during the selection process. We will consider limiting it in future years but I think that had the selection panel dropped some of Naysun or Graham's films from the awards evening and bumped others up, it would have been a less entertaining night. Personally, I was happy with Naysun winning two awards as I felt he deserved them - he had the best films and had also worked tirelessly on the festival and Rogue all year. Don't forget also that Time, Care & Attention was credited to Andrew Freeland and not just Naysun. However, I would have liked to see 'Picnic' get some recognition and this makes me wonder if the awards should not be 'best student film maker' and 'next best student film maker' but that's another kettle of fish.

Last thing (I promise) - stairmaster. One of the most entertaining things I saw at Half Cut but I think it didn't make it in to the awards evening as it was more or less a gimmick where as other films had more developed stories and characters.
dani0107

Postby Jono on Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:01 pm

zipporah wrote:I agree numbers for some shows were disappointing; Noumena, for example, was fantastic, but the turnout wasn't. Possibly part of the problem is that it wasn't very clear from the festival guide what you were buying a ticket for. I enjoyed Bear With Me, but I had no clue what to expect from it. 'In Plato’s famous allegorical cave, chained prisoners see only elusive shadows illuminated by a fire behind them….but is there an escape?' may sound more intriguing, but maybe Noumena would have got more takers if the festival guide had gone for a simpler 'Energetic contemporary dance based on Plato's philosophical beliefs about the elements'.

Well that's always the inevitability when putting dozens and dozens of shows, events, or whatever back-to-back across one week. I wanted to go and see more things. Sadly, academic deadlines and the impending exams meant i had to restrict myself to Jerry Springer, and a bit of Shakespeare. It's only natural that some shows will be more poorly attended than others.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby zipporah on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:41 pm

I didn't have time to see everything I wanted to either; I imagine many people were in the same boat. But when people are browsing the festival guide and deciding what to prioritise, they're probably more likely to pick something they recognise as familiar (Hamlet, History Boys) than a Plato-based-I-don't-really-know-what-this-is dance show. Simpler description might have helped in that regard.
zipporah

Postby Hennessy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:21 pm

What's on now that the "on the rocks" festival has finished?

I fancy a bit of kultur, innit
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Since as you ask:
- Theatre: 'Everyman' this week at All Saints Church Hall (the CMaD production) - wednesday, friday, saturday.
'Godspell' at the Martyrs Church Hall opposite Sallies Quad (QSTC production) - 6-9th May
- Music: 'Musfund' AGM tomorrow (Tuesday)
- DJ: Aside from the usual bops, there is a DJ from N-Trance coming on Thursday night according to the posters around town.

I'm sure there are other things, but before anyone posts a photo of a 'plug', these are just the things I know about.
Save that, sit down, relax, read a book, watch some tv, listen to classic fm/1Extra or go to the library and work.
The final one appears to be my best option for the week.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby lizzie_liz on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:38 pm

Actually N trance is Wednesday in V1 as on thursday is Rocksoc V1 with Star awards V2
lizzie_liz

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 pm

I stand corrected!
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby :-) on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:26 am

dani0107 wrote:As a second year Rogue committee member, here're my thoughts on Half Cut's future... We have had alot of interest in the society and in film making over the past year, with younger students starting to make and get involved in student films. At the moment there isn't any obvious single talent but then there isn't anyone with the experience of Naysun or Andrew Scott either. It will be the committee's responsibility to harness the enthusiasm and ensure this results in films being made. Whilst this year the emphasis has been on upping the status of Half Cut and student film, next year I would like to see an emphasis on workshops and teaching. iMovie fest would probably be good for this as would a fully fledged freshers' film.

I think more workshops and teaching would be really good. Also i think it would be helpful to give out some positive criticism about student films. I made my first film and it was chosen for the selection evening. I would have liked to have know why and what could have been improved. It's just an idea, - as it can be hard to be objective about your own work.

Also I really enjoyed on the rocks, although like others wish i could have seen more.
:-)

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board