Home

TheSinner.net

If you could change three things about the Union...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Salad Bowl mural - what would you do with it?

Leave it alone
26%
Get rid of it
56%
Replace it with another mural
19%

Total votes : 70

Re: If you could change three things about the Union...

Postby theshadowhost on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 pm

lame :'(
theshadowhost

Postby Haunted on Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Knock it down, begin again, extend out the back onto the wasted grass.
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:19 pm

1) Bring back Tennents Velvet.
Duggeh

Postby pyro soc.... on Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:46 pm

1. Review the insurance.

2. Invite a bunch of pyromaniacs to come for a week.

3. Rebuild...
pyro soc....

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:55 pm

1. Eject the Travel Service. Use the space for something, ANYTHING, more worthwhile.

2. Redevelop or just simply redecorate all of the rooms on the first and second floors, particularly the atrocious mural in the Salad Bowl and the absurdly large and almost-never-used space taken up by the Venue2 kitchen. The office layout on the first floor has always seemed absurd to me, too.

3. Bring back karaoke.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Owen Wilton on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:...the atrocious mural in the Salad Bowl...

It's like something from the Director's Cut of The Shining.

We should have a sponsored paint-a-thon to raise money for the Charities Campaign. (Just to paint over it.) Then, we should have a competition to replace it with something interesting. I've heard it's worth money but it can't be worth THAT much money.

We should submit THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF CHANGING IT as an entry to the Turner Prize, and use the inevitable prize money to fund the redecoration.
Owen Wilton

Postby Owen Wilton on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:07 pm

I bet you could auction off positions on the paintover team. There are so many people craving the satisfaction of ruining it.

I'm bringing this to SSC.
Owen Wilton

Postby Al on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:16 pm

You leave that mural alone.
Al

Postby The Kinky Monkey on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:39 pm

I always wanted the Union to totally soundproof venue 2. When I was there that's where all the complaints came from as three walls were adjacent to the outside. Apparently it costs the earth to do it properly though. You could do it with egg boxes and mattresses for that totally budget feel.

Anyway it would be a great size for live music events, as Venue 1 is too big for smaller bands and the Beer Bar is ok but maybe a little small at times.
Do good to all men, but at the end remember to collect your fee.
The Kinky Monkey

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Owen Wilton wrote:I'm bringing this to SSC.

Excellent. Tell them I said hi.
You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Postby Duggeh on Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Bizarre Atheist wrote:3. Bring back karaoke.

Fuck. No.

I did hate the times I went-a-wondering into the union of a night, caught ear of somebody running "Holding Out For A Hero" through a rusty mincer and, smoothly upon one foot, 180-ed right back out the door.
Duggeh

Postby Fawksie on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:09 pm

The Kinky Monkey wrote:I always wanted the Union to totally soundproof venue 2.

You'd also have to lightproof it. Venue 2 does not leak a significant amount of noise, it's the sight of people using the room that triggers the busybodies across the road to complain.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Fawksie wrote:
The Kinky Monkey wrote:I always wanted the Union to totally soundproof venue 2.

You'd also have to lightproof it. Venue 2 does not leak a significant amount of noise, it's the sight of people using the room that triggers the busybodies across the road to complain.

Why don't we then? You could probably make a much better venue by boarding up the windows and insulating it.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby orudge on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:56 pm

It'd make it a bit more depressing during the day though, probably, when it is used for general functions and so on. A better form of curtain/blind that blocks as much of the light as possible may be more useful.
orudge
Administrator

Postby schmod on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 pm

From a purely functional point of view, the Union could really use more storage space so that we don't have to use the Billiards Room or the V2 Kitchen (yes, it has a full kitchen!).

The building would also look much nicer without two rusting storage containers sitting out front.

V1 actually can currently be split in two by hanging a black cloth across the middle of the room. It makes the venue considerably more intimate for small events (though the rear half can't be used for anything). Also consider that virtually nothing in V1 is actually nailed down, and could potentially be reconfigured as such. Bruce has also had a pipe dream of adding a mezzanine for quite some time.

You could probably get people to climb the stairs as long as there were consistently scheduled events open to the public on the 3rd floor. As it stands, AltSoc and Darkroom both tend to be well-attended. Renaming the rooms up there might be a good idea at some point in the future (as would removing the 'CLOAKROOM' sign outside of Off-Sales).
schmod

Postby Jono on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Owen Wilton wrote:
Bizarre Atheist wrote:...the atrocious mural in the Salad Bowl...

It's like something from the Director's Cut of The Shining.

We should have a sponsored paint-a-thon to raise money for the Charities Campaign. (Just to paint over it.) Then, we should have a competition to replace it with something interesting. I've heard it's worth money but it can't be worth THAT much money.

We should submit THE ENTIRE PROCESS OF CHANGING IT as an entry to the Turner Prize, and use the inevitable prize money to fund the redecoration.

I'm in favour of painting over the mural, provided that it's for a good reason, and/or we have something better to replace it with. last year the idea was proposed on the ludicrous pretext that the naked people distracted the Thesps during their rehearsals (oh petal!). If Juggle-soc can manage in the salad bowl, so can anyone! Personally, I think it gives the room character, or at least more character than it would have were the wall painted over in magnolia (which will inevitably happen).
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby Jono on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

orudge wrote:It'd make it a bit more depressing during the day though, probably, when it is used for general functions and so on. A better form of curtain/blind that blocks as much of the light as possible may be more useful.

What functions would those be? V2 is even more under-used during the day than anywhere else (makes quite a peaceful impromptu study-room actually).
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby RandomMusings on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:03 pm

What Venue 2 may well need, would be dividers, as are in existance in the salad bowl, so that room space would be less of a premium.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Postby orudge on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Jono wrote:What functions would those be? V2 is even more under-used during the day than anywhere else (makes quite a peaceful impromptu study-room actually).

Certainly some of the time I've been up there, there seems to have been a never-ending stream of rehearsals and the like in there. Plus things like Ents meetings on Wednesdays. I daresay there are other uses. Venue 2 does seem to go through phases of being very busy, and being relatively empty though, so I guess it depends what time of year you hit it!
orudge
Administrator

Postby Owen Wilton on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:32 pm

CHANGE THE MURAL.
Owen Wilton

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board