Home

TheSinner.net

Residence Fee RIse (HUGE!!)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Scarlet on Fri May 02, 2003 1:38 pm

The problem with any kind of protest is that the university has us with ropes around our necks. If we refuse to sign our contracts until something can be changed they'll tell us to feck off and give our places to someone else. Also, they will claim that we were represented on the court when it was decided. Who was it, was it Rory O Hare? Whoever it was, they clearly didn't express the views of the majority of the students.
Scarlet

Re:

Postby Leticia on Fri May 02, 2003 1:45 pm

Having read most of the posts on this thread and hearing personally from former St Andrews studnets, I am seriously considering not taking a dorm with the Uni and instead finding my own flat.

I've checked with St Andrews realtors and the cheapest flat I could find was 400 pounds.

I was hoping that someone could help me with what food costs? I don't know if it is more or less expensive than here in the states.
Leticia

Technology charge

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 1:46 pm

I'm so f*cking pissed off with this bizarre charge. I mean a) I don't have a f*cking computer and b)my mobile is cheaper than those ridiculously expensive phones in our rooms.

Now they're charging me for a connection that I don't even use. Well that's f*cking it, my war with IT services, (which has been raging for 1 year after a stupid library computer lost my 1600 words the day before they were due in), has officially stepped up a gear. I'm going to lug my 12 year old laptop (which still runs on coal) to the helpdesk and demand that they hook me up to resnet! If I've paid for it I'm f*cking well going to use it!!!

Yes, I feel that that amount of swearing is necessary.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a crate. Coincidence? I think not.
mossop

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 1:48 pm

By the way, just to add a bit more, do you think we could try writing to Sir Clement Freud? He might be able to help us out, we can't do nothing as the f*ckers in charge will reckon they've got away with it and do something else equally annoying!!!
mossop

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Fri May 02, 2003 2:01 pm

Sir Clement Freud couldn't give two shits about hall accommodation from what I've heard.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 2:07 pm

[s]Cola Cube wrote on 15:01, 2nd May 2003:
Sir Clement Freud couldn't give two shits about hall accommodation from what I've heard.

Really? I've shared ice-cream with the guy and he was like 'if you've got any problems with accommodation or anything, just email me' and I mean, the guy was in court standing up for a student on the day of his installation. I thought he was a pretty sound guy!
mossop

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Fri May 02, 2003 2:15 pm

...he's not.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 2:18 pm

[s]Cola Cube wrote on 15:15, 2nd May 2003:
...he's not.

based on what exactly?
mossop

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Fri May 02, 2003 2:19 pm

The fact that he refused to listen to our accommodation reps and told them he wasn't interested.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri May 02, 2003 2:20 pm

What I gather from a previous thread - Sir Clement Freud is only interested in dealing with private accomodation problems. I think someone tried to discuss uni accomodation with him but they didn't get very far. I can't find the thread so I've got no link for you.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 2:24 pm

[s]harmless loony wrote on 15:20, 2nd May 2003:
What I gather from a previous thread - Sir Clement Freud is only interested in dealing with private accomodation problems. I think someone tried to discuss uni accomodation with him but they didn't get very far. I can't find the thread so I've got no link for you.

I spoke to him a couple of times about gatty and he was very interested. He didn't realise Gatty was such a hole!
mossop

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri May 02, 2003 2:29 pm

Something just occured to me....if my understanding is correct - New Hall is a three star hotel in the summer. If that is correct then doesn't the uni get the profit from renting these rooms out in the summer? And if they do - where does it all go?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Fri May 02, 2003 2:30 pm

Well, he's changed his mind considerably. The accomodation officer met with him and he made it clear he wasn't interested.

[hr]“Master Took, I hear you do a very good, or at least passable, Freddie Mercury, and since Galadriel is indisposed, would you oblige us with Bohemian Rhapsody?”
http://bagenders.stormpages.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby mossop on Fri May 02, 2003 2:32 pm

[s]harmless loony wrote on 15:29, 2nd May 2003:
Something just occured to me....if my understanding is correct - New Hall is a three star hotel in the summer. If that is correct then doesn't the uni get the profit from renting these rooms out in the summer? And if they do - where does it all go?

It goes....erm...I don't know! Funny that. I tried to get that answer out of Roger Smith last month, but it really didn't work. He doesn't like to be tied down, eh Alex? Whatever they're spending it on, they're being f*cked over!!! Maybe new DRH?
mossop

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Fri May 02, 2003 2:50 pm

Just got my New Hall contract - and decided to read through it. I've noticed that nowhere does it tell me that the rent I pay will include provision of internet. If there is no provision of internet and they are making a profit on this place in the summer - then what's with the 10.3% increase in rent?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Fri May 02, 2003 3:24 pm

There is one alternative - Live in Dundee, rents are a lot less, even when you add the comuting cost. You can use the dundee university libary, which is better than the St Andrews one, and if you are in honors you only need to come back once or twice a week.

rember that the Students Union do not recomend university accomadation.

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby Alex Rennie on Fri May 02, 2003 3:47 pm

Roger Smith really really doesn't like to be tied down, or even commit himself to ANYTHING unless it's already going to be happening.
Alex Rennie

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri May 02, 2003 4:25 pm

[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 16:24, 2nd May 2003:
There is one alternative - Live in Dundee, rents are a lot less, even when you add the comuting cost. You can use the dundee university libary, which is better than the St Andrews one, and if you are in honors you only need to come back once or twice a week.

might as well just go to dundee university then :P

[hr]
* 9 out of 10 cannibals agree;
"vegetarians taste BETTER"
flarewearer

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Fri May 02, 2003 8:12 pm

[s]Mr Tickle wrote on 16:24, 2nd May 2003:
Tand if you are in honors you only need to come back once or twice a week.

I'm in honours- I have classes every day. I really wouldn't fancy the commute to and from Dundee on a daily basis.

[hr]
“Master Took, I hear you do a very good, or at least passable, Freddie Mercury, and since Galadriel is indisposed, would you oblige us with Bohemian Rhapsody?”
http://bagenders.stormpages.com
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Freud DOESN'T Give A Rat's Ass

Postby diddy reese on Sat May 03, 2003 6:49 pm

[s]mossop wrote on 15:07, 2nd May 2003:
[s]Cola Cube wrote on 15:01, 2nd May 2003:[i]

Really? I've shared ice-cream with the guy and he was like 'if you've got any problems with accommodation or anything, just email me' and I mean, the guy was in court standing up for a student on the day of his installation. I thought he was a pretty sound guy!
[/i]

"on the day of his installation" is rather key, don't you think? have you heard anything from him since then? i met with him once over a SEVERE flat problem and all he did was pass it on to student support services, to whom i'd already spoken and dead-ended with months before that. i think he had a good time being the glorious champion of the students for a month or so there and now plans to sit on his ass for the rest of his term. when i met with him, he didn't pay a second of attention to my estate agent issue but instead distracted himself by criticizing my accent, my lack of knowledge of the celebrity game show he was appearing on, the fact that i hadn't read the book he had open in front of him while we were talking and finished off with a rant about the good ol' time he had at the vanity fair oscar party. i mentioned accomodation and he looked like he wanted to take a nap. DOWN WITH FREUD.
diddy reese

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board