Home

TheSinner.net

Not accepted...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Not accepted...

Postby Leticia on Mon May 05, 2003 11:31 pm

I just received my rejection letter from UCAS today, telling my that my application was "unsuccessful" for St Andrews...Jesus, that really pisses me off. St Andrews has been at the top of my list for quite some time, and now I'm not accepted.

And will anyone from St Andys tell me why? And is there any way I can appeal the decision, as you can here in the States? I am so pissed off. This school was my first choice. I don't want to go to Aberdeen or Glasgow...certainly not as much as I wanted to attend St Andrews.

Anyone have any advice on what else I could/should do? Or should I just wait for St Andrews to contact me? (will they even contact me?!?!)
Leticia

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Mon May 05, 2003 11:35 pm

you could try clearing, although the uni has wisely decided to take too many students again. Anyone for a bunk bed in New Hall? You might have difficulty, unless you have a seriously good reason to appeal.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

you could try clearing, although the uni has wisely decided to take too many students again. Anyone for a bunk bed in New Hall? You might have difficulty, unless you have a seriously good reason to appeal.
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Amaunet on Mon May 05, 2003 11:44 pm

Just press the button once comedy..

[hr]WESTLEY
Hear this now: I will come for you.
BUTTERCUP
But how can you be sure?
WESTLEY
This is true love. You think this happens every day?
"You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how"

Gone with the Wind
Amaunet

Re:

Postby Gatty Scumbelina on Tue May 06, 2003 12:11 am

Have you considered Stirling? It was my second choice, mainly for the very bad reason that it had ducks and rabbits when I went for an open day.

[hr]It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
[s][i:2n708yoy]From the Real Life Quotelog: "Have you met our pheasant?"
[/s][/i:2n708yoy]
Gatty Scumbelina

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue May 06, 2003 12:16 am

[s]Amaunet wrote on 00:44, 6th May 2003:
Just press the button once comedy..

I just thought it was important!

[hr]
"A Happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes." Hugh Downs
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue May 06, 2003 12:23 am

*imagines a drunken Comedy repeatedly hitting submit, shouting at the computer about how important his message is and laughs*
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Dee on Tue May 06, 2003 12:39 am

[s]Unregisted User Leticia wrote on 23:30, 5th May 2003:
I just received my rejection letter from UCAS today, telling my that my application was "unsuccessful" for St Andrews...Jesus, that really pisses me off. St Andrews has been at the top of my list for quite some time, and now I'm not accepted.

And will anyone from St Andys tell me why? And is there any way I can appeal the decision, as you can here in the States? I am so pissed off. This school was my first choice. I don't want to go to Aberdeen or Glasgow...certainly not as much as I wanted to attend St Andrews.

Anyone have any advice on what else I could/should do? Or should I just wait for St Andrews to contact me? (will they even contact me?!?!)

That's rough.

At the risk of sounding unkind though I think the best thing to do is forget about St Andrews. The university are not going to contact you, and a place through clearing is unlikely at best, and downright impossible depending on your subject. It upsetting, and yeah it sucks. I didn't exactly jump for joy when I was turned down for my first choice. But the best thing to do (imho) is to say "screw you lot" and grab your next choice with both hands.

Glasgow is actually a very good university, which I'd have been happy to go to myself. It has an excellent academic reputation, and if you have any attachment to life in a big city, clubbing, pubs, etc. then Glasgow is probably the best university in Scotland for this sort of thing.

I also know a couple of Glasgow alumni who are now studying here as postgraduates so make of that what you will.

[hr]
"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
I probably don't like you, but don't take it personally. Nobody likes you.
Dee

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 06, 2003 8:25 am

I guess it's quite unethical, but if you applied for a subject which requires lower grades at st andrews, then when you get here you can arrange your first year module choices so that you can get a degree in the origional subject of your choice.

[hr]Management: The art of writing like you know what you're talking about and making others believe it.

(munchingfoo comprehensive dictionary)
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Leticia on Tue May 06, 2003 8:34 am

Do you think getting straight A's (the highest grade possible, short of an A+) would be sufficient enought for an appeal?
Leticia

Re:

Postby Miss Maryland on Tue May 06, 2003 8:35 am

it probably had something to do with the fact that UCAS applications go in at a much later time than you can send an individual application (only if you are an american applying to no other school but st andrews). as the school operates on a rolling admissions system, the earlier you apply, the easier it is to get in, and with the single application form, they let you know within a month.
Miss Maryland

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Tue May 06, 2003 10:38 am

Actually, I was discussing this with Wong just the other day - more of a monologue actually - but if you applied for a joke of a subject like IT or something, then it's pretty easy to get in. Once you "sneak" in, you can move around a lot more easily.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Tue May 06, 2003 2:07 pm

The entry quallifications for IT are (in highers) BBBB for one course and ABBB for the other. BBBB is the same as for physics and astophysics but I wouldn't describe them as being joke courses.

No subjects (especially the sciences) are that difficult to get into but maneuverability is definitley one of this university's better features.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Tue May 06, 2003 2:08 pm

Oh no, one less american. Shame.

[hr]'I said I wasn't blaming Jesus or anything. It wasn't His fault that He didn't have any time.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Alex Rennie on Tue May 06, 2003 2:09 pm

I got in here to do a Physics degree with BBC (needed CCC), then after one semester changed to management (which had an a-level requirement of ABB). The way you can move degree is hte university's best feature by far.
Alex Rennie

Re:

Postby Miss World on Tue May 06, 2003 4:22 pm

Firstly, sorry to hear your bad news. The University of St Andrews receives far more applications than there are places and, unfortunately, people are rejected. It is very difficult to say why you were rejected, but it is worth bearing in mind that applications are read thoroughly by admissions tutors, before a final decision is reached. Perhaps reading the Admission's Policy would help.

http://www.st-and.ac.uk/services/admiss ... licy.shtml
Miss World

Re:

Postby avogadro_number on Tue May 06, 2003 4:23 pm

Trying for a joke subject is one possible way in, and one that you should consider. My best friend was rejected from St.Andrews and ended up going go Glasgow. These days I don't think he would have it any other way to be honest, he is really enjoying it there and it sounds like a decent place to be. Otherwise I think it is possible to apply for a transfer from Glasgow to St.A after your first year there. Then you can join the second year here.. I think.. Otherwise maybe it is just best to move on. Whatever you do, good luck.
avogadro_number

Re:

Postby pre frosh, the future fresher on Tue May 06, 2003 4:23 pm

another idea would be to reapply through the american form, whose deadline is, if i remember correctly, not over to june 1. that's a late deadline, and it would probably be harder to get in, but it is a second chance if you really want it.

i applied after the deadline myself, i think. i wasn't too clear about it.
pre frosh, the future fresher

Re:

Postby qwertyuiop on Tue May 06, 2003 4:24 pm

[s]Unregisted User Leticia wrote on 23:30, 5th May 2003:

i suppose you could ask, i doubt theyll contact you or apply again next year. Glasgows a good uni though as far as i know
qwertyuiop

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board