Home

TheSinner.net

The WORST comedy night ever?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The WORST comedy night ever?

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 05, 2003 11:19 pm

In contrast to Natalie Haynes last week, Paul Foot was the worst of the bunch!!!!! When I left, at 11:50, he was still going on! And what absolute crap it was too! A joke? From him, never! Anyone share my opinion?
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon May 05, 2003 11:29 pm

He was incredibly bad.
I thought that Silky, the warm up act, was actually OK, and far, far better than Paul Foot.
I kept a tally of the walk-outs; it came to over two-thirds of the paying audience.
But it's not the union's fault- he seems to be a comedian whom the audience either loves or hates, tonight it seems the latter.
See http://www.chortle.co.uk/comics/pfoot.html for some reviews.

[hr]One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Magus on Mon May 05, 2003 11:31 pm

SOOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAD!!!!

I really wish someone had killed me! Silky was great - but Paul Foot was a nightmare.

Sleepy...

[hr]Goodnight to principle, sincerity, and honour!
When I would pray and think, I think and pray to several subjects.
Magus

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 05, 2003 11:32 pm

You stayed till the end Pilmour Boy?!
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Magus on Mon May 05, 2003 11:36 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 00:32, 6th May 2003:
You stayed till the end Pilmour Boy?!

Some of us had no sodding choice (stupid 'duty'!!!)

[hr]
Goodnight to principle, sincerity, and honour!
Magus

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 05, 2003 11:37 pm

On the bar? or clearing up the pint glasses? or something else?
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Magus on Mon May 05, 2003 11:41 pm

[s]Zombie Sheep wrote on 00:37, 6th May 2003:
On the bar? or clearing up the pint glasses? or something else?

sitting outside checking stupid bands etc - so much fun, and we don't get paid. But we did get Cadbury's Buttons (thanks Han!)

[hr]
Goodnight to principle, sincerity, and honour!
Magus

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Mon May 05, 2003 11:42 pm

Made up for the comedy no doubt.
Zombie Sheep

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Mon May 05, 2003 11:50 pm

I think that they had to give us some form of caffeine to make us stay awake.

But a big thank you to Hannah from me too for the goodies- you're great and all of the hacks are going to miss you!

[hr]One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Gatty Scumbelina on Mon May 05, 2003 11:59 pm

Dear god, he was awful. I'm incredibly easily amused and he left me just bored. I think the only times I smiled were at jokes I'd heard by the time I was ten. I stayed till I think 11.20 - I just kept thinking he *had* to start being funny at some point. Even application of alcohol didn't make him funny...

I've read the reviews Pilmour boy posted the link to - "But if Foot's weakness is connecting to the audience, his undeniable strength is in the use of language - the beautifully-phrased comments (or even entire questionnaires) that revel in the ridiculousness of words." - that means he shouldn't be doing stand up! He should be writing terribly witty things for highbrow magazines, not boring the life out of us.

[hr]It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
[s][i:2n708yoy]From the Real Life Quotelog: "Have you met our pheasant?"
[/s][/i:2n708yoy]
Gatty Scumbelina

Re:

Postby MercuryAnna on Tue May 06, 2003 12:02 am

Well, I think we can all agree that Paul Foot got off to a rocky start and lost almost all of the audience pretty much immediately.

Personally, after about 45 mins I started to think he was really funny and wished people would give him more of a chance.

All I can say about the FUCKERS who kept talking during the whole thing is I wish I had had the courage to say something to you. You are really some of the rudest people... it's one thing to not enjoy the performance or not find it funny - or even to heckle! - and quite another to be CONSTANTLY TALKING.

If you're having a bad time, either leave or give the guy a chance. At the risk of sounding extremely patronising and the height of annoyity, 'you spoil it for everyone else.'

And yeah... I was the one laughing like a hyena at the end. And the one giving the dirty looks to the talkers.
MercuryAnna

Re:

Postby Dj Balloon on Tue May 06, 2003 12:02 am

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 00:50, 6th May 2003:
But a big thank you to Hannah from me too for the goodies- you're great and all of the hacks are going to miss you!

Slurp Slurp...
Arse arsonist's forfeit refreshment
Dj Balloon

Re:

Postby Gatty Scumbelina on Tue May 06, 2003 12:09 am

[s]MercuryAnna wrote on 01:02, 6th May 2003:
All I can say about the FUCKERS who kept talking during the whole thing is I wish I had had the courage to say something to you. You are really some of the rudest people... it's one thing to not enjoy the performance or not find it funny - or even to heckle! - and quite another to be CONSTANTLY TALKING.

If you're having a bad time, either leave or give the guy a chance. At the risk of sounding extremely patronising and the height of annoyity, 'you spoil it for everyone else.'

Well, I think I may be guilty of talking. And heckling. And I am indeed a rude fucker. But that's all part of stand up. I've been to other stand ups where people have started talking amongst themselves, and they damn well did something about it! The person on stage took this piss out of the people talking, they worked it into the routine, or they just heckled them. The fact that he just stood there and let people talk all over him is another reason why he's no good as a stand up.

[hr]
It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.
[s][i:2n708yoy]From the Real Life Quotelog: "Have you met our pheasant?"
[/s][/i:2n708yoy]
Gatty Scumbelina

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Tue May 06, 2003 12:11 am

There is absolutly no point sucking up to somebody when one will only be dealing with them for a couple more weeks and one meeting. I was simply expressing my gratitude for a year's worth of good work. I think that she's done a great job as VPS after stepping in at the last minute.

Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby RichZ on Tue May 06, 2003 12:18 am

[s]Pilmour Boy wrote on 01:11, 6th May 2003:
There is absolutly no point sucking up to somebody when one will only be dealing with them for a couple more weeks and one meeting. I was simply expressing my gratitude for a year's worth of good work. I think that she's done a great job as VPS after stepping in at the last minute.

Here here. Well said.
RichZ

Re:

Postby MercuryAnna on Tue May 06, 2003 12:25 am

[s]Gatty Scumbelina wrote on 01:09, 6th May 2003:
I've been to other stand ups where people have started talking amongst themselves, and they damn well did something about it! The person on stage took this piss out of the people talking, they worked it into the routine, or they just heckled them. The fact that he just stood there and let people talk all over him is another reason why he's no good as a stand up.

The people talking near me (to give them a bit of credit) weren't doing it that loudly. It was enough to annoy me but I don't think Paul Foot couldn't hear it onstage. But I'm not saying he didn't know people in the back were talking.. I'm sure he did... and you can bet I was willing him to say something to them like Natalie Haynes did (although that didn't shut up THE FUCKERS enough for me - and talking through a GOOD show is ten times worse than talking through a bad one).

Heckling, booing, walking out... I think bad stand up deserves these responses. And to be honest, of the six or so shows I've seen here, I think this was the worst. But to just sit there talking like you were in your living room with the telly on for background noise... honestly.

(That's the proverbial you, by the way... if the specific you, Gatty Scumbelina, made a few asides to your friends, I have no problem with that... it's just constant talking for an hour and a half that gets to me.)
MercuryAnna

Re:

Postby Anon. on Tue May 06, 2003 2:50 pm

One should use "one" if one doesn't mean "you".

Well, I do. :)
Anon.

Return to The Sinner's Main Board