Home

TheSinner.net

Who is the best current stand-up?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Who is the best current stand-up?

Harry Hill
5%
Jack Dee
1%
Jimmy Carr
4%
Andy Parsons
3%
Michael McIntyre
55%
Sean Lock
4%
Ricky Gervais
7%
Mark Watson
3%
Bill Bailey
18%

Total votes : 76

Re: Who is the best current stand-up?

Postby haime on Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Agree with the post about Frankie Boyle and him not being as funny live. When I saw him the first half was ace, but the second was full of MTW jokes which I'd heard before.

Having said that, I'd still say Frankie Boyle!!!!! ;)
haime

Postby Jormungand on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:51 pm

jollytiddlywink wrote:
the Empress wrote:In what possible way is Michael McIntyre anything like Boris Johnson? In fact, the only context they both fit in is Have I Got News for You, and they were both very different. Johnson - funny due to his dazed and confused performance as host, and McIntyre on his game, delivering a sharp impression of Jeremy Clarkson.

Very true. You're only a comedian if you are consciously making jokes to amuse people, like MM does. If you're not consciously aiming to make people laugh, and they still do, you're not a comedian. You're not telling jokes--you are the joke. Boris Johnson is the joke, in much the same way as George Bush was the joke (thank god that I can put that last clause in past tense!).

I wouldn't say Boris Johnson is the joke. The man is actually pretty intelligent, and there's a good chance the whole buffoon thing is a put-on. After all, think about the advantage he has now. The gaffe he makes need to be much worse for him to be in trouble with the public than with probably any other politician. Right now, things that would sink other politicians, when said by Johnson, mostly elicit a response of "Oh, that wacky Boris!"

I'd say a comedian is someone who is trying to amuse people simply for the sake of amusing people. Boris is making jokes to amuse people, but it's for a different motive than entertainment per se.
President of WarSoc
2nd Year MA History
Jormungand

Postby d_24 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Jormungand wrote:there's a good chance the whole buffoon thing is a put-on.

Boris is just innately bumbling, clumsy and inept. It's why we love him/laugh at him, because try as he might to be taken seriously he's just pure comedy.
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Postby Wonderboy on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Boris can be serious when he wants to be it seems. Look at his manner in the various historical documentaries he has done. He's no fool.

I don't think his humour always has ulterior motive however. He just has a sense of humour and is self deprecating.

He is clearly not an out and out comedian but being a comedian is part of what he does or what he used to do. People do laugh at him but he is clearly being deliberately funny.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Postby donpablo on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am

What? No Peter Kay? I call foul on this poll! o.o

On the subject of Boris he is absoloutely hilarious on HIGNFY and you should youtube him playing in a charity match against Germany if you haven't seen the clip. Guaranteed to have you on the floor in stitches.

I'd say 2 of the best comedians about at the moment have to be David Mitchell and Charlie Brooker. Both not exactly stand ups but deserve praise for being so perceptive, intelligent and funny at the same time.
donpablo

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm

donpablo wrote:What? No Peter Kay? I call foul on this poll! o.o ...David Mitchell

Ahem...

Power Metal Dom wrote:Peter Kay

Yep, David Mitchell is very funny and witty.
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby the Empress on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:32 pm

If we're opening it up to comedians generally . . . Mitchell & Webb all the way.

just noticed Andy Parsons on the list - I like him, but he shouts *all the time*. Does no one else find this annoying?
the Empress

Postby orudge on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:22 am

the Empress wrote:just noticed Andy Parsons on the list - I like him, but he shouts *all the time*. Does no one else find this annoying?

Can't say I do, I thoroughly enjoy his parts on Mock The Week. Whereas somebody like Michael McIntyre I do enjoy, but I tend to find him a bit annoying at the same time!
orudge
Administrator

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board