Home

TheSinner.net

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Pilmour Boy on Sun May 25, 2003 1:22 pm

The reason for requiring a @st-and.ac.uk email address for the automated registration is probably simply that it's the only way to have a proper audit trail of identities. Note that there are "guest" members who don't have an ITS account, but I assume that there are slightly more stringent sign-up procedures.

-If this message makes no sense, it's because I'm tired and hungover.
Pilmour Boy

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun May 25, 2003 3:06 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 13:53, 25th May 2003:
I was just wondering if one of you two could answer a question? Why is it that to be a reg user you have to have a St Andrews e-mail account?

The registered user system allows people to post messages instantly. If a registered user posts something that is defamatory or libellous, then they are responsible for that post.

Unregistered users' comments are moderated to prevent people from simply posting libellous messages anonymously. It also prevents the message boards being spammed by advertisers.

The reason we use your St Andrews email address to authenticate the accounts is that they are assigned by the university, and can't be created anonymously in the same way that Hotmail accounts can.

It is unfortunate the unregistered users' messages aren't posted on the boards immediately, but we need to check the messages before they go online, and obviously this takes time. This is done approximately twice a day though, so messages shouldn't be delayed for too long.

If there are people outside St Andrews who post regularly on the boards and would like to apply for a guest account, then we will assess each case individually, and where we feel it is applicable, we will grant a guest account.

In short - we use the St Andrews addresses to make sure that the people posting messages are accountable for what they write.
Oli

Re:

Postby andyefc on Thu May 29, 2003 2:29 am

[s]James Baster wrote on 04:27, 25th May 2003:
Here I will answer the points raised in both this thread and the other one in which this is discussed.

[s]andyefc wrote on 23:00, 24th May 2003:[i]
For example, on this bored the only way users can show their personalities and make themselves different is by there username or sig. Thats it!! 2 things?!?!? In any of the other boards you can personalise far more!

Call me old fashioned, but I like to think people can express there personality and make themselves stand out from others by what they write in there messages.

But you should try and implement a proper forums onto the site, and if you are going to say its too hard to match up with the code....then install phpnuke or summit like that and the forums will link up nicely!

No, they wont link up nicely. Notice the MB thread on the bottom of each article? Notice the admins checking unreg messages? I haven't even seen a MB before that allows Unreg and Reg users to post side by side.
[/i]

I want to draw u to your comment on reply to my msg about installing PHPnuke. Firstly PHPnuke IS easy to install and it is not the forums in PHPnuke that i was talking about. I was saying that if u installed nuke as the main website, it links up beautifully with phpBB, which you would use as the forums. This is NOT hard to implement!

And as for the comment on unregistered and registered users posting side by side. Well i think you have it the wrong way round mate, in the sinner an unregistered user can make a post, but a moderator has to view it before it can be posted, and so other people can post in the meantime. Whereas with any other forum system anyone CAN post at the same time, unregistered and registered users, and if you want to you can make some forums that only registered users can see/post in. All the forums i have seen allow this, and i have seen many!

Finally, as for the comment on saying peoples personality should come out in their posts, well that can also happen, but you would be able to see far more info. User statistics for example, including post count, user title (titles are often award when users post a certain number of posts, or if they are an admin or Mod), member number, time they joined, Location, etc etc. If we had these and Avatars (oh btw there is NO reason to not include avatars, as soon as people ask for them you should say "well there not my choice, but these forums are here for everyone, and avatars do NO harm whatsoever!!") it would make the forums a much nice place!

Oh and btw, classic example of the system not working, this will probably get posted twice now, as i forgot to log in before, and this was not done on purpose, but it proves my point!
andyefc

Re:

Postby Administrator on Thu May 29, 2003 9:18 am

[s]andyefc wrote on 03:29, 29th May 2003:

And as for the comment on unregistered and registered users posting side by side. Well i think you have it the wrong way round mate, in the sinner an unregistered user can make a post, but a moderator has to view it before it can be posted, and so other people can post in the meantime. Whereas with any other forum system anyone CAN post at the same time, unregistered and registered users, and if you want to you can make some forums that only registered users can see/post in. All the forums i have seen allow this, and i have seen many!

What makes the Sinner different from most other messageboards is that it isn't flooded with spam - you won't see any "make money fast" or "this isn't a scam - honest!" messages, because the moderator spends time filtering these out.

If unregistered users were allowed to post these sort of messages, then you'd see about 6 a day (and the number is increasing).

You'd also see many repeated messages about whether St Andrews is any good, or questions like "which is the best hall"?

However the main reason that the unregistered posts are moderated is because I'm responsible for the content of the unregistered posts. I prevent any libellous or obscene posts being published automatically.
If any registered user posts something that is offensive or defamatory, then their actions can be attributed only to them, and action can be taken to prevent them doing it in the future.

... but you would be able to see far more info. User statistics for example, including post count, user title (titles are often award when users post a certain number of posts, or if they are an admin or Mod), member number, time they joined, Location, etc etc.

I don't see how that would benefit anyone - it doesn't matter when a user joined the Sinner, or how many posts they've created.
Registered users can publish any details about themselves that they want in their profile, and can include their location if they like.

If we had these and Avatars (oh btw there is NO reason to not include avatars, as soon as people ask for them you should say "well there not my choice, but these forums are here for everyone, and avatars do NO harm whatsoever!!") it would make the forums a much nice place!

As explained above, we're not going to have avatars on the Sinner's message board.

Oh and btw, classic example of the system not working, this will probably get posted twice now, as i forgot to log in before, and this was not done on purpose, but it proves my point!

Unlikely. I check the unregistered messages, and I will rectify your mistake before it is published.

If you are not logged in when you write your message, there is a login section above the "post" button, so if you have forgotten to login, you can still post using your registered username.

Cheers,
Oli

[s]Edit: minor spelling error corrected
Administrator

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board